Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
Hi,

Sharp eyes ! But, those are holes that the adapter makers counter-sink set screws into so that you can loosen the set screws and turn the front part of the adapter so that the numbers on the aperture ring, etc. end up "on top". In my case, I haven't messed with those yet because I'm still testing with the adapter.

Plus, you would kind of do that adjustment for every lens, since their numbers would end up in different places.

Jim
Adapter? Is all of this going on with an adapter?

03-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Does anything rattle when you shake it?

---------- Post added Mar 20th, 2016 at 06:46 PM ----------

I don't believe this is correct. At least, I have never encountered this using legacy glass on digital bodies, nor have I seen it previously mentioned in discussion of same.
Actually, I think I have some other M42 zooms that I haven't used for awhile. I'll try to dig them out and compare behavior with this "Rony" lens...

EDIT: Ok, I found an old 85-205mm "Montgomery Ward" (ok, I bought some strange stuff back then), and it works similarly to the "Rony" lens, albeit to a much lesser degree.

What I mean is that with the MW zoom, the minimum focus distance is less when zoomed at 205mm than it is when zoomed at 85mm. The "albeit" part is that, with the MW lens, the difference in the minimum focus distances at 205mm vs. 85mm was TINY, like probably less than a foot, whereas with the "Rony" lens, the difference in the minimum focus distances between zoom at 28mm vs. 70mm was huge!

Overall, the MW lens is much better. Besides the above, it was much brighter, to meet at least. Overall, much more "fun" to use. The "con" is that its a bit longer (physically) than the "Rony", but then again, I think the MW lens is much lighter, since it's smaller diameter.

So probably time to dump the "Rony" lens, which is probably what I should've done 15+ years ago ...

Jim

---------- Post added 03-20-16 at 08:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Adapter? Is all of this going on with an adapter?
Yes. Remember, the "Rony" lens was an M42 lens whereas the K-x mount is, well, a K mount.

EDIT: Sorry, going back over the posts, I think that some of the pics I posted might've been confusing, including myself. I was putting a different K-mount adapter on the "Rony" lens when I took the pics above. I was using that K-mount adapter in the pics because the rear lens of the Rony lens is kind of basically, exposed, and I didn't have an extra M42 rear lens cap.

Last edited by ohaya; 03-20-2016 at 08:30 PM.
03-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Actually, I got so long ago, that I don't know for 100% sure now , but I'm *guessing* that I must've used it, or at least tested it, back then....
Anyway, what's this lens worth, 10-20 bucks? Use it as a paperweight or a door stopper and leave it at that - unless you think you might want to practice doing a CLA on another highly collectible Rony.
03-21-2016, 05:11 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Anyway, what's this lens worth, 10-20 bucks? Use it as a paperweight or a door stopper and leave it at that - unless you think you might want to practice doing a CLA on another highly collectible Rony.
Yes, I agree, especially after I compared it to that other lens . BTW, what is "CLA"?

Thanks,
Jim

03-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #20

Original Poster
BTW, thanks to everyone who responded!

Also, I'd still like to know what "CLA" means?

Thanks!

Jim
03-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Clean, Lubricate, Adjust.
03-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Clean, Lubricate, Adjust.
Ahh. Ok. That may be appropriate. The only thing that would hold me back is that I've tried "dipping my toe into the water", disassembling one of those adapters and couldn't get it completely disassembled, and I'd hate to get to that point with a more complicated lens like the Rony...
03-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Yes. Remember, the "Rony" lens was an M42 lens whereas the K-x mount is, well, a K mount.

EDIT: Sorry, going back over the posts, I think that some of the pics I posted might've been confusing, including myself. I was putting a different K-mount adapter on the "Rony" lens when I took the pics above. I was using that K-mount adapter in the pics because the rear lens of the Rony lens is kind of basically, exposed, and I didn't have an extra M42 rear lens cap.
I was concerned because I don't think anything would focus with the pictured adapter.

03-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I was concerned because I don't think anything would focus with the pictured adapter.
That was my fault again. Sorry for the confusion ...

Jim