Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2016, 06:57 AM   #1

Sharper and brighter photos using the K5 LiveView? Is that possible?

I have recently bought a second hand K5. I found it has focus problems when using the normal focus method. Images are blurry when you see them at 100% but when I use the liveview, the images are in focus and a bit brighter.
The seller told me to check the fine focus adjustment in the camera but I am unable to get acceptable results... Maybe I am doing something wrong.

What could I do?
Why there is such a difference between using the liveview ant not using it?

Thank you in advance.

03-26-2016, 07:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Liveview exposure is more accurate, a bit brighter in my K-3, I think that's normal, I guess it's the same on a K-5. For the AF , I don't know, normally, PDAF can be even better then CDAF (liveview), especially in lower light, if calibrated.
03-26-2016, 07:16 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fotsan Quote
Why there is such a difference between using the liveview ant not using it?
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
PDAF can be even better then CDAF (liveview)
PDAF...Phase Detection Auto Focus (optical viewfinder)
CDAF...Contrast Detection Auto Focus (LV)
Those are independent AF systems thats why there can be a discrepancy between the results

edit:
Maybe this articel helps:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/lens-align-front-back-focus/introduction.html
03-26-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Live view is a tool used to help you focus and compose. It does not necessarily show you the same brightness as the still photo will be according to the settings. This is so that in case you have settings that will result in an underexposed photo, LV will still show you the image that you can easily compose. Live view does not reflect EV.
And its really difficult to say why photos aren't bright or sharp. Compared to what? You would have to post some sample photos. There are dozens of reasons why a photo could be unsharp:
a) bad lens
b) misfocused
c) DoF more shallow than user expected
d) handholding shake blur (SR helps with this, but only if you use it correctly, give it enough time to activate (icon lights up to show when its active))
- main cause of this is slow shutter speed, but there are other factors
e) looking at unsharpned raw files, or jpegs that are not sharpened enough
f) comparing photos to images taken with a camera that has no AA filter and higher MP count, with a better lens mounted
g) looking at raw files with a bad software that only shows you scaled preview jpegs, not real image data
h) filter mounted on lens
e) mirror slap, tripod shake
etc. etc.

03-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you biz-engineer, othar and Na Horuk! I posted with a picture before but I deleted it since I made some mistakes.

I realized that in aperture mode using the live view instead of the OVF the camera used lower speeds and so the image was brighter. I didn't notice I was using spot metering so I think any subtle movement could end up with a different light reading.

As Na Horuk mentioned the screen was clearly brighter than the actual image. I've been using a Pentax 35mm f 2.4 lens that gives me relatively good results with my k200d so I don't think that's a problem. There are also other factors that may influence the quality of a shot technically talking but I think the main problem is focusing.

I realized that the focus is not working very well mainly when using the OVF. It is a bit of a hit and miss. Sometimes I focus far away and the focus goes just too close... I hope there is something I could do to improve it.

I'll post some pictures because I know it is really hard to speak without actually seeing any pictures.
03-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
Here are some comparisons I did this evening. When using OVF I had to press various times the shutter button to get the image in focus. I used Manual mode to minimize light measurements problems. I don't know if it is better to post the original photos instead of the compared ones.
Attached Images

03-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the first set, the exposure actually differs by 2/3 of a stop, hence the difference in brightness. The remaining photos really look very similar and just have shifted compositions.

It's possible that you need to test your lens for front/back focus as described in the article that othar mentioned. You could also try using 5-point AF instead of just the center point to reduce the likelihood of hunting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know you mentioned you are using spot metering, but you did not mention you were using spot (center point) AF. You may want to try the different AF options and see if the results differ. Not that it is necessarily relevant, I use spot AF for most shooting circumstances.

03-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #9
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Live view is a tool used to help you focus and compose. It does not necessarily show you the same brightness as the still photo will be according to the settings. This is so that in case you have settings that will result in an underexposed photo, LV will still show you the image that you can easily compose. Live view does not reflect EV.
just to clarify this for pentaxians... most canon dslrs have wysiwg liveview, the most recent high-end nikon dslrs have wysiwg liveview, probably all mirrorless cameras have wyswyg liveview, but afaik, no pentax dslr has wysiwyg liveview.

more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_preview

---------- Post added 03-28-16 at 03:37 PM ----------

this is what i would do, but remember that it's only useful for af with the ovf(pdaf), because af with liveview means that the mirror is up(cdaf only), it can't be adjusted.

not relevant to the photo examples here but fwiw, all af bets are off at closed-down apertures like f/9, f/10, etc., cameras need light to be able to use af.