Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

FA 43mm LTD - Damaged lens or possibly usable?

Well, I've bought a few things from Japan sellers and never had a single issue. But this latest arrival is bothering me. Before I raise a fuss, I thought I'd ask the PF opinion about what I see as my situation.

Lens description:
QuoteQuote:
Near Mint : This lens is in pristine condition cosmetically. I don't see any single signs of cosmetic use on the exterior. It looks like new and barely used. The optics is bright and clear with minor dust specks and very thin faint stain along the edge of the middle element that are only seen under the closest inspection and won't affect at all picture quality. No haze, fungus or scratches. The aperture blades are free of oil and move smoothly. AF,MF, everything is tested to be fully functional.

Highly recommended !!
Immediately upon opening the package, I saw a little glint in the center of the lens. Thinking it was dust, I tried to blow it off. No dice. So, I took a bright light and stronger reading glasses and could see it wasn't on the surface. My co-worker is a former jeweler with many years of diamond cutting experience, so I asked him. With a loupe, he said, "This is a light refracting scratch on the interior."

Now, what bothers me most, I suppose is that it is dead center. If it were off on the edge, I might not care too much. But I wouldn't have paid "pretty much the going price" for a lens which I knew to be scratched in the dead center on an interior element.

Taking some photos to show the seller what I consider to be a problem, I discovered another tiny pit, like it was chipped with something pointed, but off-center. Under bright light, there seemed to be a lot of mess in there.

My question.... Is this too picky or is this a real (and big) issue? I guess, for me, bottom line, the scratch was immediately visible with the naked eye and should have been disclosed. Close inspection reveals more "mess". It'll cost me a pretty penny to send it back to Japan, so I'm not happy.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
03-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
a5m
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think you are being too picky. Even though this would not greatly affect your pictures, personally for me, something like this would be a big issue, and I would have expected the seller to mention this in the description.

Did you send the pictures to the seller? What did he say about it?

I would send the pictures and make the seller aware of the issue. This will also be on record and if you end up filing a dispute on eBay, the eBay reps will be able to see this as proof that there is an issue with the lens. Unfortunately for the seller, eBay in almost all cases sides with the buyer. But in this case it would be the right thing for eBay to do. If you make a request to return the item eBay will require the seller to provide a return shipping label since it is an international sale.

A similar incident happened to me with a 43mm Limited I purchased that had two large scratches on the outer surface of the front element. I sent pictures to the seller and he was nice enough to PayPal me the cost of shipping the lens back. It'd be great if your seller does the same, but if not, I'd request a return through eBay and state the reason as the item being damaged or defective and not as described. eBay will make sure the seller provides the return shipping label. If they don't provide it in the allotted time, you will basically get to keep the lens.

Bottom line is that if the lens was significantly discounted for the defect then I wouldn't have a reason to be unhappy, but if you paid the going price that they sell for and were not made aware of the defect then yes, I'd have the right to return it and have the seller pay for it.
03-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter

What do photos taken with the lens look like?
03-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very certainly usable. You might see an effect from a spot like that once in a blue moon, if the light hit it just right, but 99+% of the time I would think it would be unnoticeable.

That said the lens is definitely not as described. You could send it back for some refund, not sure about shipping. I don't know if it is worth it.

03-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Very certainly usable. You might see an effect from a spot like that once in a blue moon, if the light hit it just right, but 99+% of the time I would think it would be unnoticeable.

That said the lens is definitely not as described. You could send it back for some refund, not sure about shipping. I don't know if it is worth it.
What he said. The seller may not have been aware, but you certainly have reason to ask for compensation or refund.

Steve
03-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think a partial refund would be in order here.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all. I have sent photos - these and others - and am awaiting a reply.

Yes, I think the lens would be usable in many situations, but the chance of a refracted glint or whatever isn't something I'd really like to risk. And, if the day were to come and I wanted to sell it, not that I would, I think most people at PF would expect a noticeably reduced price, wouldn't they?

Edited to add this image. Yes, I was pushing it shooting with an edge of the sun, but I wanted to be sure I knew what was going on. Several other images showed no discernible effect, but this one apparently did. I haven't had time for extensive testing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 03-27-2016 at 12:17 PM.
03-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think a partial refund would be in order here.
I agree

Randy

03-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think the biggest problem you're going to have with this lens is potential resale value, for the exact same reasons
you're experiencing now but with the roles reversed. For that, I'd agree a partial refund is in order.
03-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I think the biggest problem you're going to have with this lens is potential resale value, for the exact same reasons
you're experiencing now but with the roles reversed. For that, I'd agree a partial refund is in order.
Fully disclosed, if I hadn't been able to find an undamaged lens after considerable time, I still doubt I would have paid 1/2. I use vintage lenses, knowing they may be full of defects and unpredictable, but when using one of the Three Princesses, a flaw like this right in the center where there is never any avoiding it, is nearly fatal (at least in my mind).

Still waiting to hear back, but it is good to know that a return shipping label is normal for international sales. I'm bummed....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
03-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
Unfortunately for the seller, eBay in almost all cases sides with the buyer.
Not so. As a buyer and seller on eBay I have been wronged by eBay. I suspect eBay uses a coin to determine who is the winner in any dispute.
03-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update for anyone interested: seller says he must have overlooked it. I have requested a Return for "Not as Described."

I really struggle with these things, not wanting to be a jerk about unachievable perfectionism, but it clearly said "No scratches" and there are two internal scratches, one of which was immediately visible, glinting in the light when I opened the package. {sigh}
03-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter

You're not being a jerk for not wanting a lens that was not as described. Hope everything works out ok.

Last edited by MPrince; 03-28-2016 at 06:26 PM.