Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #1

K100D does not shoot periodically

Press "shoot".. does nothing. Press "shoot".. does nothing (repeat 2..15 times) then - wow! started to work as nothing happens.
- Retract the flash
- "manual" flash mode
- option "allow shoot before flash charges"
- fresh fully charged set of NiMh-acc
- disabling shake reduction
- cleaning lens contacts (btw, the same problem even with old manual M42 lens)
does not resolve the problem.

FW 1.02
Cam`s mileage 38k, very good condition.

03-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have a remote, try that. It would tell you if it's the shutter button. The K100D can use a wired or IR remote.

My *ist DS used to require battery contact cleaning a lot. Recently I just keep a set of non-rechargeable lithium batteries in it. Those have a slightly higher voltage than other battery types, which might help your problem.
03-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be the shutter button going bad, or some other hardware issue. I think the remote idea is a good one.

At 38k it might soon be time to think about a replacement body

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #4

This is happening with my K100D Super also. Press the shutter button and most times it fires fine, other times it won't fire at all or there's a horrible delay.
I think Adam's right, it seems to me the problem is with the shutter button itself, maybe some dirt has got underneath it.
One day I will probably spray some cleaning fluid down it to see if that helps - it's nine years old I'm surprised it's still performing as well as it does.

03-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does the K100D have catch-in-focus? That can, under certain conditions, cause what appears to be an intermittent failure.
03-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Does the K100D have catch-in-focus?
I think that it`s a shutter button problem, may be rust or dirt between membranes.
While half-pressing this button focusing is ok - fast, with confirmation sound and red dot, without hunting. Exponometry also works well.
I will try to disassemble body to clean/resolder shutter button.
Will post results later.
Btw, 38k - it`s near 1/3 of guaranteed mileage of shutter pops. Do you think that i will change mysterious magic CCD picture for useless CMOS megapixels/live view/movie recordings? NO !
03-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are your settings for shutter release priority or focus release priority? The focus release priority may be confining it if it is on.
03-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Try sticking the corner of an index card or stiff piece of paper into the shutter button and run it around a couple of times. There may be a bit of dirt or something that needs to be dislodged.

04-11-2016, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
I`ve disassemble it a bit =)
Here is some info
Disassembling procedure is written in service manuals, google it. There is no need to solder/desolder something for "refresh" shutter button, just 000-size screwdriver maked of good steel. Tweezers helps a bit, but it`s no need for success. Whole procedure takes about 1 hour, need good lighted desk, piece of paper with double sided sticks to stick screws.
After removing plastic covers i`ve inspected camera`s inner space for water/dirt marks. Nothing. Good news.
Dismantle shutter button shiny cover shows A LOT of flux UNDER membrane, with some sorf of oxidizing/darkening on contacts group. Inner surface of membrane is also covered of some lacquer lay of dirty yellow color.
Wash all of them with isopropanol seems to fix and refresh button - works fine for now.
I remind that it 38.000 mileage 8 year old DSLR.

PS perhaps it`s goor idea to lube contacts/membrane with silicone. Will post info after years =)