Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #1

K-50 entirely black pictures until I switch to live view

So I've owned my k-50 just long enough to be past warranty and now I am having some issues. If I let it sit for a while and turn it on all pictures will be completely dark no matter what I do, reset settings, change metering, etc. But if I switch to live view it's fine, and then if I switch back after switching to live view it seems fine. I have also been having an issue with the aperture seeming to slip past and the lens will get stuck and even turning off and on the camera doesn't do anything I have to remove the battery, remove the lens, and then start over to get it to work.

The repair quote is just like $180... I am going to try to get it fixed under the Credit card warranty.. but is there a simpler fix? Is there a good resource to find replacement parts as well? I feel like I wouldn't have much trouble replacing them myself.

03-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This sounds like it might be the beginning of the aperture mechanism failure which a number of users are reporting, or perhaps a different hardware issue.

I'd definitely try to take advantage of the credit card warranty to get the camera repaired by Precision. Spare parts are no longer sold to consumers.

If that doesn't work out, new K-50's are now only $295, so it might be more economical just to get a few body with warranty.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/315725-dark-exposure...-me-first.html
03-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, it bugs they don't sell spare parts. Is that something that is common across most camera brands or is it just something pentax does. In the past I have been able to ebay parts and fix a lens or two. I am usually willing to risk the cost of a DIY because if it's a success it's worth a whole lot more to me than a working camera knowing I can fix it in the future.

03-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndMessPhoto Quote
Thanks for the info, it bugs they don't sell spare parts. Is that something that is common across most camera brands or is it just something pentax does. In the past I have been able to ebay parts and fix a lens or two. I am usually willing to risk the cost of a DIY because if it's a success it's worth a whole lot more to me than a working camera knowing I can fix it in the future.
You may still be able to find parts or a parts camera on ebay. At one time Pentax would sell some parts, not sure if they would have sold you this type of part though. I do not think this repair is just an "unscrew this part and bolt on the new one".
At any rate they no longer sell parts to end users. There are a number of camera shops around that could possibly order the part for you. But if the repair requires calibration or adjusting that needs equipment to perform there is no point, as you do not have the proper test equipment.
03-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

How far out of warranty are you? The reason I ask is that Ricoh may be willing to extend a month or two "grace" on this particular (all too common) fault.

Steve
03-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How far out of warranty are you? The reason I ask is that Ricoh may be willing to extend a month or two "grace" on this particular (all too common) fault.

Steve
This is just a matter of what fits the photographer. Okay, you purchased a brand new Pentax K-50 and it failed. Speaking only for myself, I would not turn around and go buy another one. There are many other fine Pentax Digital Cameras out there that will not fail you in so short a time. Good Luck.

Tony
03-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I bought it December 2014 so my warranty ran out about 3 months ago. I listed the purchase date in my email to pentax support and they didn't offer any grace period although I was hoping they would considering how wide spread the problem is. I'm not a pro photographer or make any money from it so I am not in a high pressure situation, but I have enough money invested in lenses that I do need to get it fixed or replaced.

---------- Post added 03-28-16 at 07:15 PM ----------

Also my latest images names are like imgp 9541 so I am guessing I'm around 10,000 shots at this point.

03-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #9

Original Poster
Just an update, I tracked down all my purchase information and I got it on a discover card. It took about 5 minutes on the phone and it sounds like everything will be covered and the service is through precision camera like it normally would be.

Thanks for all the help, this forum seems awesome.