Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2016, 01:35 AM   #1

new member. Advice needed with nikon gift voucher!!

Hi there! I'm a new member and very much a beginner photographer.... I tried to read through the other posts but I really don't understand the complicated language of photography lol!

I hope it's appropriate that I ask this here, but I figure if I have so many incredible and experienced photographers in one place, I should probably make the most of it!
I won a $500 Nikon voucher.... But being SUCH a beginner, I wouldn't have a clue on how to spend it wisely!!!
I have a Pentax k50 and 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses.
I don't have any other accessories other than some lenses and filters that my dad bought 30 years ago that I am yet to research regarding adapters.
Are Pentax cameras and Nikon lenses compatible? Is there an adaptor? Are more lenses even of use to me? I don't have a 'style' as such so I really wouldn't know what I might need in the future!!

Could anyone put me in the right direction regarding what research I should be doing?
I simply 'don't know what I don't know'....

Thanks in advance from anyone who may help me!!

03-29-2016, 02:51 AM   #2

Are you into SCUBA diving or snorkelling? I recently got a Nikon 1 AW, which provides a very compact underwater / all terrain option.
03-29-2016, 03:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

hi,
that is a nice dilemma to have. Not sure how helpful this is but for that price you are only going to get a D3300 or a D5300 DSLR model from nikon and with the exception of the D5300 having a tilt lcd screen and the d3300 having the in camera panorama feature I don't know if you are going to get much further into photography.
Let me try to clarify, I got a D40 many years ago and should have got a point and shoot as I never got to grips with the nikon menus. Recently I got a D3200 thinking that it would get me away from taking holiday snapshots and christmas pictures but the horrible nikon menu driven camera was basically the same. Then I got a K7 which meant i could play with the camera without having to navigate through menus to do the simplest of things. I have a D30 and far prefer it to the D3200 as the two wheels allow you to control more elements of the camera without resorting to the menus.
I'm not trying to bash nikon as they make some great stuff, but in the price range you have I think that you might just end up with two very similar cameras that you don't understand how to use.

If I were in your position I would be tempted to get a nikon 1 or a coolpix and just carry it around as a point and shoot for quick snapshots. they seem pretty nice and are shock and waterproof so it makes a good lightweight choice pocket camera for family outings.

not sure if any of this helps but just my thoughts

cheers
03-29-2016, 03:02 AM   #4

The Pentax lens mount has shorter flange distance than the Nikon mount, so a simple adapter without optics isn't possible.

There's a discussion thread on the issue which comes to the view, it's a no-go as far as adapters are concerned. at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/140761-fitt...ntax-body.html

Why not use the voucher for Nikon accessories that could work with Pentax such as a filter set covering neutral density, polaroid or close-up lens filter etc...

Also a Nikon electronic flash should work with the Pentax in some of its modes. See this thread for some ideas https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/20472-nikon-flash-pentax.html.

03-29-2016, 03:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

sorry I meant that i also have a pentax K30 and prefer it to the nikon D3200 - got mixed up with my K and D - argh!!
03-29-2016, 03:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Esvh28 Quote
I have a Pentax k50 and 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses.
As a beginning photographer, you have all you need right now in lens terms.

@johnhilvert has the right idea - go looking for Nikon accessories that would fit your Pentax DSLR. The Nikon flash idea looks interesting, looking at that thread - if you can get one that self-regulates using an on-flash sensor (thyristor flash or equivalent) it's almost as good as P-TTL in some ways, though you may not be able to do clever bounce tricks with it and you may be restricted to one particular aperture setting for each ISO. That would mean shooting in manual or in X-sync mode, but it's a good way to learn about both manual exposure and flash.
03-29-2016, 04:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Or buy something that's easy to resell?
03-29-2016, 04:46 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
As a beginning photographer, you have all you need right now in lens terms.

@johnhilvert has the right idea - go looking for Nikon accessories that would fit your Pentax DSLR. The Nikon flash idea looks interesting, looking at that thread - if you can get one that self-regulates using an on-flash sensor (thyristor flash or equivalent) it's almost as good as P-TTL in some ways, though you may not be able to do clever bounce tricks with it and you may be restricted to one particular aperture setting for each ISO. That would mean shooting in manual or in X-sync mode, but it's a good way to learn about both manual exposure and flash.
Not meaning to sound too contrarian but $500 is a lot of spondoolies to throw at gear from Nikon for a Pentax camera.

Esvh28 said he was very new to photography and is very much a beginner.

My vote goes with Billk

Just MHO

03-29-2016, 06:39 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Marketplace Reseller

Why limit yourself to camera gear? If you are into outdoorsy activities, Nikon also offers some very nice binoculars, spotting scopes, etc. Check out the sports optics section of their website:

Nikon | Sport Optics
03-29-2016, 06:45 AM   #10
mee
Site Supporter

Are you decidedly Pentax?

If Yes, is it possible to either sell the voucher and use that money for Pentax gear?
If No, perhaps sell the Pentax gear and use that money and the voucher combined to go Nikon?

Alternative, already somewhat suggested, but perhaps you could also just buy a tripod or filters with your voucher. From where exactly is your Nikon voucher? Nikon company shop?
03-29-2016, 06:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Or buy something that's easy to resell?
This ^^^

Or you can just sell the voucher for hard money and buy anything you want, anywhere...
03-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I would pick up a pair of these:

Nikon 8x42 Monarch 7 Binocular 7548 B&H Photo Video

If you're not into wildlife or birding, you can always resell them at a premium!