Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #1

Where can I learn about my camera and post processing from videos?

I have a Pentax K-x that I use mostly for coin photography, and use Irfanview for my post processing. So far I've been able to squeek out passible results with tips and trials, but I am no real photogtapher. The camera manual is a little confusing and a bit overwhelming. Are there any videos out there that would help a slow learner? As for the post processing, I could download another brand if it were free and had a teaching video. I would be especially interested in learning more about the Pentax post processing software that came with the camera. Thanks in advance.

03-30-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are places like Bing (web search engine) that you can find videos on a large number of photography related subjects using the Video specific category (select Videos instead of Web or Images). I looked a few minutes ago using the words "coin photography" and the Bing search engine showed me a number of videos related to the subject. Other photography related videos are abundant also.

Your camera alone (or with flash) will give you results without post processing if you use the appropriate settings, but there is also post processing software called "Nik" which is free from Google. The following web address may be helpful. Once you get to the page, scroll down to see the different selections.

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-30-2016 at 06:01 PM.
03-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very good freeware that any people use and can do many of the post processing of such software like PhotoShop, is called FastStone Image Viewer. Don't let the title throw you off, it isn't just a viewer. I used it for years before buying Photoshop Elements, but still use it for other things.

Some YouTube videos here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=faststone+image+viewer+tutorial+videos&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
03-30-2016, 09:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
“Your camera alone (or with flash) will give you results without post processing if you use the appropriate settings”
I’m thinking of combining front shot, rear, writing and a photographic inset all into one “picture” I just don’t know how to do it.

Other leads I’ll be checking out - maybe all night.
Thanks for the guidance.
Working with something like this…

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
03-31-2016, 03:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Another vote here for FastStone. As far as the K-X goes, I purchased this ebook years ago when I first got my K-x: "http://www.ebooks4cameras.com/Pentax-K-x-K-r-e-book-K-r-K-x.htm". It basically tells you all about the camera's functions and in way that I found really easy to follow. In reality it does not tell you anything more than the manual but the presentation is what counts here.
03-31-2016, 04:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
I am an incredably cheap person, but I might just get that ebook. Thanks
03-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I think if you bought a used macro it would help capture more details.
I think Adobe Photoshop Elements is free for a month if you want to try that

Good luck

Randy
03-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"I’m thinking of combining front shot, rear, writing and a photographic inset all into one “picture” I just don’t know how to do it."

The Nik software I mentioned has a lot of features, though I have not used it on a regular basis.

04-01-2016, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
SLIP,
This is the date of above coin with Asahi Auto Bellows II and a Nikon, EL-Nikkor 50mm lens. I really like details.
Resized from 4288x2848 to 1000x664.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kurt Atlas Quote
I’m thinking of combining front shot, rear, writing and a photographic inset all into one “picture” I just don’t know how to do it.
Ah, for something like that you will need an image editor like Photoshop or Gimp (Gimp is free) or even something like Paint. There is a difference between software made for Photography and one made for Image editing. Photography software generally deals with photos and helps you improve them, with global settings (whole photo). Image editing software is what allows you to make advance edits, very specific things (like painting, smudging, blurring, adding gradients, making collages, etc.). So I would recommend you get something like Gimp and then open the photos, and combine them into the same image if you want a collage. Photography software is more for overall photo developing and batch processing, not so much for adding, removing, cutting and splicing images together.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kurt Atlas Quote
This is the date of above coin with Asahi Auto Bellows II and a Nikon, EL-Nikkor 50mm lens. I really like details.
Your photos look pretty great. What exactly would you want to improve? If you want more details, you will need to start doing things like focus stacking, and also playing with the light. Light coming in at a slight angle will emphasize textures more than light coming straight on.
Another thing would be to buy a dedicated macro lens (not sure, is that Nikkor a dedicated macro, or just a regular 50mm lens?). Dedicated macro primes (like Pentax DFA 50mm f2.8, or the older Pentax 50mm f2.8), tend to have corrections that are great with macro. Things like super sharp rendering, flat field of focus, super low distortion, low CA..
04-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #11

Original Poster
I have Irfanview, Gimp and Paint. A video of how to use them would make the learning much easier. They may be out there, and I am just not aware of them.
My impression of Techno Geeks is that they relate to electronics better than to humans. I'm looking for the exceptions.