Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 11:44 PM   #1

shutter won't pop when i advance the wind lever

okay, so i just got a pentax p30 yesterday. I'm trying to dive into film photography, but when i wind the lever the shutter doesn't pop until i wind it again or sometimes i'd have to wind it 4 times before i can shoot, that's losing 4 exposures, so please help me find out how to fix this.

additional information:

so when i saw the p30 on gumtree it was listed for 100 AUD( with extra 7rolls of film and 2 lenses(sigma 80-200 4.5~5.6 and the sigma zoommaster 35-70) and a random luxon 9800T flash.

when i went to pick it up, i proceeded to check that the shutter pops on all the shutter speeds i started on 1 second, and winded the lever but it got stuck in the half position, so we thought it was the batteries and then when i got new batteries in there it still wouldn't work, i figured i could probably get it fixed for cheaper than 50AUD so i asked the guy if he would give it to me for half price.

after that i was in my car and i just played around with it bumping the base plate and suddenly it was working again but, the shutter only releases after i've winded the lever 3 times. when i got home i tried it again and all of a sudden it was working normally so i took a few shots turned it off and here we are today, i tried to shoot some scenery so i turned on the pentax winded the lever and clicked the release button, nothing, winded it again, nothing and again then finally it popped.

any suggestions on what to do?

Last edited by Parallax; 03-31-2016 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Profanity
03-31-2016, 03:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Find a repairer. My P30T had a similar issue, and it ended up being one of the cogs inside becoming disengaged. You give the sale price in Aussie dollars but your location as Hong Kong SAR, so I'm not sure exactly where to recommend you send it to, but this may be of help.

BTW welcome to film Pentax. Sorry your initial experience has been such a troublesome one. The P30 is a neat little camera; I hope you can get yours up and running without too many problems.

Last edited by Parallax; 03-31-2016 at 07:04 AM.
03-31-2016, 05:23 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't invest too much into that camera there are better alternatives. Consider it that you purchased the lenses for the 50
03-31-2016, 06:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I wouldn't invest too much into that camera there are better alternatives. Consider it that you purchased the lenses for the 50
yea that was what i thought when i bought the bundle as well... would you be able to recommend any cameras for those lenses then?

03-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noobfilmphotographer Quote
would you be able to recommend any cameras for those lenses then?
What do you want your film camera to do? Also, what do you NOT necessarily need it to do?

P series cameras are easy to load, easy to use, but will not let you override the native film speed on the cannister. If you ever get into black & white film development, that ability may be useful.

Older Pentax film cameras will require you to set the film speed yourself and are nowhere near as effortless to load, but really not all that difficult. Just as a broad start, if you want automation, the Super Program, aka Program A, has all you need. If you want all manual, the K1000 is the one to look for. For a combination of both as you see fit, the ME Super is worth a look. I would not advise a film beginner to buy a Spotmatic. These are all in the manual focus/manual winding class of camera that your unfortunate P30 was in. Then there are the autofocus, power-winding varieties, of which I know little and care less. Some of them are excellent cameras, but they are just not my cup of tea and I couldn't hope to advise you on them.

Have a look at the camera reviews here on the site, as it will give you an idea of what different people did or did not like about various Pentax film cameras, and again, keep in mind what YOU want from the camera as you read all this. The cameras I have, and can talk about with the authority of someone who's used them, are in blue in my signature line. If after careful consideration you think one of them is the bee's knees, by all means ask me and I'll give you my impressions, good and bad.
03-31-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You can take the bottom plate off the P30 and probably see what's happening. On mine (P3n but pretty much the same) it works better if it's used a lot. I got an estimate on repair and you're about right at $50. I decided that I would not miss film so didn't get it fixed.

If I was going to use film often, I'd get any older camera serviced. The manuals typically suggest a service, and few cameras have had one recently. Mechanical shutters should be at least checked for proper timing. Seals should be redone on a lot of K or M series cameras. Cleaning is useful.
03-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noobfilmphotographer Quote
yea that was what i thought when i bought the bundle as well... would you be able to recommend any cameras for those lenses then?
I would recommend any of the ME variations (except the F) or Super Programs but my favourite is the MZ-6 although without the grip it takes expensive batteries. A K1000 is also a great camera. I think starting out though it's worth ensuring you get a working camera. You really don't want to put up more barriers to what already requires a level of dedication to do.
03-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want a manual camera with mirror lock up and a self-timer, get a KX instead of the stripped down K1000. It's probably a lower price, too

03-31-2016, 09:48 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
What do you want your film camera to do? Also, what do you NOT necessarily need it to do?

P series cameras are easy to load, easy to use, but will not let you override the native film speed on the cannister. If you ever get into black & white film development, that ability may be useful.

Older Pentax film cameras will require you to set the film speed yourself and are nowhere near as effortless to load, but really not all that difficult. Just as a broad start, if you want automation, the Super Program, aka Program A, has all you need. If you want all manual, the K1000 is the one to look for. For a combination of both as you see fit, the ME Super is worth a look. I would not advise a film beginner to buy a Spotmatic. These are all in the manual focus/manual winding class of camera that your unfortunate P30 was in. Then there are the autofocus, power-winding varieties, of which I know little and care less. Some of them are excellent cameras, but they are just not my cup of tea and I couldn't hope to advise you on them.

Have a look at the camera reviews here on the site, as it will give you an idea of what different people did or did not like about various Pentax film cameras, and again, keep in mind what YOU want from the camera as you read all this. The cameras I have, and can talk about with the authority of someone who's used them, are in blue in my signature line. If after careful consideration you think one of them is the bee's knees, by all means ask me and I'll give you my impressions, good and bad.
well i think im mainly just gonna use the film camera for street photography and maybe so portraiture. as of now im leaning towards the k1000 and focus on getting better glass... Also i wanted to update you on the condition of my p30 it magically started working again i have no idea what's wrong with it
03-31-2016, 09:51 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
You can take the bottom plate off the P30 and probably see what's happening. On mine (P3n but pretty much the same) it works better if it's used a lot. I got an estimate on repair and you're about right at $50. I decided that I would not miss film so didn't get it fixed.

If I was going to use film often, I'd get any older camera serviced. The manuals typically suggest a service, and few cameras have had one recently. Mechanical shutters should be at least checked for proper timing. Seals should be redone on a lot of K or M series cameras. Cleaning is useful.
well it's working now so i won't mess with the bottom plate until i have to, thanks for the suggestions though. I'm scared to clean the insides becuase i have no idea which things i should touch and which no to, i have cleaned the lenses and the body though.