Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery Life

Hi everyone, I bought a K3 July last year and have enjoyed this camera very much. I have one persistent problem that I need to act upon before my warranty of one (1) comes to an end. I need to solicit the help and thoughts of anyone with this kind of experience in this forum.
My battery can only run for a max of 400 shots and that is short of 350 shots from the specs!! Number of shots goes down to 300 to 340 shots even when using live view sparingly. Do I need to send my camera to the dealer for warranty or just the battery. I know that the camera warranties in the Philippines are send directly to Cebu where Pentax cameras are assembled word wide but have my reservations. The battery I am using comes with the camera and has with a capacity of 1860mAh.
Thank you very much.

03-31-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I cannot imagine anything wrong with the camera that would cause that. Sounds more like a battery issue to me. Try getting a different battery and see if that changes anything.

I do not really keep track of the number of shots I get, it really varies a lot. And I always swap the battery out at the beginning of a day no matter how much charge it has. But I don't seem to remember getting more than 500 shots from a battery.
03-31-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The rating is for taking a series of photos with 50% using the pop up flash.
This doesn't cover reviewing the photos, live view or recording videos.
You will always get lower battery life in colder weather.

Batteries do vary somewhat - like everything they have a manufacturing tolerance and their actual capacity will fall somewhere on a bell curve. It's a bit of the luck of the draw. The modern Lithium Ion batteries are best kept fully charged when in constant use and stored at about 80% charged. If you run them flat, they won't last as long. So I recharge at the end of each day.

I have my screen set to off by default, and then hit play to review. Means it's not showing me photos when I'm not looking at them, and it means I'm not accidentally zooming into a photo preview when I'm trying to change the aperture.

If you do think the battery is really not good, give them a call. They may be helpful...
03-31-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There are a lot of factors which can contribute to battery power longevity. As was mentioned, the cold can make a difference. When I have used live view during long exposure shooting for example, it seems to take a substantial amount of power that it may not have otherwise. If you are shooting JPEG + RAW as another example, you may be using more power than if you were shooting just JPEG or just RAW. I carry three exclusively Pentax brand batteries when I shoot, and do not use any other brand. They have always performed well for me.

03-31-2016, 08:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Check to see how long the display is set to be on and how bright you have turned it up. Good advice given on turning the display off. Turning it off made my life easier. I was forever having trouble adjusting aperture because the screen stayed on so long. Also I wonder how many in camera corrections are turned on because that requires the processor to work longer after each shot. I presume that Using AF.C and AF.A might affect battery life as well. Lens corrections and shadow/highlight corrections take extra process time. Not sure if the warranty covers batteries but it's worth a call to find out.
04-01-2016, 12:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Jatrax. Get a different battery and see how that works. You can buy a 3'rd party battery. Probably nothing wrong with the camera. 400 shots isn't that bad depending on your camera settings.
04-01-2016, 01:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Pentax D-Li90E lithium battery for the K-3 is rated at 1860 mAh at 14 watt-hours and is going to slightly outperform the generic Watson version at 1800 mAh at 13.32 watt-hours power consumption. The Watson is half the price of the Pentax, so you can choose whether to save money and own two Watsons, or get better performance with two Pentax batteries.

Even if we could assume various DSLRs had the same power consumption or drain (which we can't), it makes sense that Pentax's battery doesn't keep the same output as a Canon or Nikon battery that is larger and heavier.
04-01-2016, 11:51 PM   #8

Original Poster
Battery Issue

Thanks all for the reply. Here's my general camera usage: 1. I very seldom use flash. I am a natural light shooter and don't, generally, like photos with flash although the picture output of the K3 camera using flash is
excellent.
2. My power off option is set at 15 secs.
3. I usually charge my battery when it is almost drain. ( so I need to charge my battery whenever the battery indicator shows a gap from the full icon) I have to
observe this as soon as possible so that I can beat my warranty.
Thanks once again to the most helpful and very friendly camera forum.

04-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I'm not sure the battery is warranted. It might be if there is a complete failure but for reduced output? I don't know. And you are getting 350 - 400 images which is low but not far off the approximately 500 I get, there are other variables such as screen brightness, how long the screen is on, how long the camera is left on, how long before it enters sleep mode, how much flash is used, how much time you spend reviewing images and so on. The specifications are from tests under ideal conditions and I certainly have never seen that number of images.

I can think of nothing that could be wrong with the camera that would cause this, only the battery.

I suggest you contact your local Pentax office and ask about real world battery life and whether the battery life is covered by the warranty.
04-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
Will inquire re the battery warranty and adding to my settings: I have low brightness in my LCD display. Again thank you for a very helpful info.
04-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bacolod Quote
I usually charge my battery when it is almost drain. ( so I need to charge my battery whenever the battery indicator shows a gap from the full icon).
Regularly discharging so deeply can degrade performance: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University