Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2
My Pentax K20D can't use AF on Screwdrive lens

My pentax k20d can't use AF on screwdrive lens (DAL 18-55,FA 50 etc.)
but it still work with SDM/HSM (DA 17-70)

my question is ...
1. can it use AF on new DA 18-50 lens ?
2. is it possible to repair my camera to use screwdrive lens again?

Thank
p.s. sorry for my bad english

04-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 982
clean the camera contacts on the camera and the lens with alcohol and exorcise the manual focus switch and report back
04-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian
builttospill's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah, Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,675
Niceshot gave a great recommendation above, but the answer to your question is yes. If your K20D can focus the DA 17-70, it will operate the DC focusing motor inside the DA 18-50.

I'm sure a camera repair shop can fix your screwdrive. I'm curious to know more though, as those systems are pretty durable. How did it break?
04-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 982
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Niceshot gave a great recommendation above, but the answer to your question is yes. If your K20D can focus the DA 17-70, it will operate the DC focusing motor inside the DA 18-50.

I'm sure a camera repair shop can fix your screwdrive. I'm curious to know more though, as those systems are pretty durable. How did it break?
HI you got it backwards, he cant use the screw drive

04-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: WV
Posts: 1,495
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
HI you got it backwards, he cant use the screw drive
OP doesn't need to use the screw drive for the 18-50. The 18-50 is not a screw drive lens, it has a DC motor.
04-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,547
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
OP doesn't need to use the screw drive for the 18-50. The 18-50 is not a screw drive lens, it has a DC motor.
Only on the latest version. Previous were screw drive. Check the Lens database.

I agree with a previous poster that it is quite likely dirty contacts.
04-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,481
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Only on the latest version. Previous were screw drive. Check the Lens database.
All the 18-50s are DC....

The 18-55s are screwdrive.
04-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: WV
Posts: 1,495
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Only on the latest version. Previous were screw drive. Check the Lens database.
I checked before posting. Both the HD DA version and the SMC DA-L version of the 18-50 have DC motors. I didn't see any mention of screw drive 18-50s.

04-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 982
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I checked before posting. Both the HD DA version and the SMC DA-L version of the 18-50 have DC motors. I didn't see any mention of screw drive 18-50s.
Very well I stand corrected
04-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2
Original Poster
Thx

Thx everyone, i will try to clean contact first and report back to all of u
04-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,547
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
All the 18-50s are DC....

The 18-55s are screwdrive.
My bad. Thanks. missed the 0
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, af on screwdrive, autofocus, camera, da, k20d, lens, motor, pentax, pentax help, pentax k20d, photography, repair, screwdrive, sdm, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I use this lens on my K5? Tracie Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 12-02-2011 11:51 AM
Can I Use AF 200S Flash on my Pentax K-r Sreeni Visitors' Center 4 09-09-2011 08:36 PM
can i use a canon lens on my kx? 4ngi3 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 06-28-2010 12:10 PM
Pentax Screwdrive AF vs SDM AF compared! (on DA* 50-135mm) Adam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 06-06-2010 01:17 PM
HELP! Can I use this lens on my K100? sscoasters Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 06-08-2007 12:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:47 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top