Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2016, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Quality issues of the 16-50 2.8 SDM Problems solved? 16-50 an K5 Discontinued?

Hi there, Celles here,

I'm new on this Forum but I have been a Pentax fan for years! Starting off with an Asahi Pentax roll film camera,
a Spotmatic!

I now own a K5, a fantastic camera that seems to be discontued!!!

Does Ricoh really intends to restore Pentax to the ''Prime'' place it deserves?
I sincerely hope so!!!

I had some serious quality issues with a 16-50 2.8 * lens, is this lens also going to be discontued?

Are the SDM Problems over?

Look forward to hear your reaction!

Regards, Celles

Regards Celles

04-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by Celles Quote
I now own a K5, a fantastic camera that seems to be discontued!!!
Yes, it reached end-of-life a couple years back and was supplanted by the K-5 II/K-5 IIs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Celles Quote
I had some serious quality issues with a 16-50 2.8 * lens, is this lens also going to be discontued?

Are the SDM Problems over?
I have not heard any rumors regarding replacement of the DA* 16-50/2.8. I don't own the lens, but it my understanding that the SDM issues were resolved some time back (2012?) and that recent product has a more reasonable fault rate.

Steve
04-10-2016, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

You can always convert a 16-50 from SDM to Screw Drive. The noise levels are pretty low and the lens is at least as fast if not faster when used on a K3. I offer a conversion service but it is reasonably easy to do yourself. The 16-50 is the most common of the lenses I see for conversion. The 2nd most common being the DA* 50-135. The other two lenses I can convert (DA* 300 and DA* 200 ) are much rarer to see needing conversion.
04-11-2016, 12:20 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Yes, it reached end-of-life a couple years back and was supplanted by the K-5 II/K-5 IIs.

I have not heard any rumors regarding replacement of the DA* 16-50/2.8. I don't own the lens, but it my understanding that the SDM issues were resolved some time back (2012?) and that recent product has a more reasonable fault rate.

Steve
Thanks for your info steve!
Regards

04-11-2016, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You can always convert a 16-50 from SDM to Screw Drive.
Not a good recommendation, especially because it does not work with later camera models such as K-3 and above. We someone buy a new lens, it must work as it should. If customers have to fix their lens themselves, I'm sorry that they should change brand.

EDIT: the K-3 is not an issue with an already screw-drive updated SDM lens.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-08-2016 at 11:25 AM.
04-11-2016, 06:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Not a good recommendation, especially because it does not work with later camera models such as K-3 and above. We someone buy a new lens, it must work as it should. If customers have to fix their lens themselves, I'm sorry that they should change brand.
I'll disagree with you.
04-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter

especially because it does not work with later camera models such as K-3 and above
Do you care to elaborate? If a converted SDM lens does not work on current model bodies, it is news to me and probably to the users of those lenses (Vanya among them). It should be noted that doing the conversion has been an option for several years for early production (long out-of-warranty) SDM lenses as opposed to simply throwing them away.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-11-2016 at 08:53 PM.
04-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Do you care to elaborate? If a converted SDM lens does not work on current model bodies, it is news to me and probably to the users of those lenses (Vanya among them). It should be noted that doing the conversion has been an option for several years for early production (long out-of-warranty) SDM lenses as opposed to simply throwing them away.
The SDM conversion that was done via firmware hack on K7, K5, does not exist on the k-3, there is no new hack for the k-3. I'd like to know who was able to disable SDM on a k3 other then by physically insulating the power contacts on the lens.

04-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter

The SDM conversion that was done via firmware hack on K7, K5, does not exist on the k-3, there is no new hack for the k-3. I'd like to know who was able to disable SDM on a k3 other then by physically insulating the power contacts on the lens.
For as far as I understood, once the conversion was done, the lenses can still be used in a K-3 (?)
So, the repair is just to be carried out once and problem solved.

When an (now old) lens is getting problems, you can also repair it like with other brands but with the option to switch to skrew-drive this is not needed.
04-12-2016, 05:12 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, even isolation of the contacts will not help. I can't recall if pktether allows a k3 to convert a lens or not. Personally I have a k100d I bought just for conversions.

As stated by others, once a lens is converted it works that way on all bodies. The change is made to the file in the lens to lie to the camera and claim to only do screw drive.
04-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter

The SDM conversion that was done via firmware hack on K7...
The conversion is a hack against the lens firmware, not the camera, and once done, the lens communicates as if it does not have a built-in motor. Once converted the lens will behave as screw-drive only regardless of the body on which it is mounted.

The most common means for hobbyists to accomplish the hack is to repurpose a suitable camera body in debug mode to reprogram the lens. In a shop, they would have dedicated hardware to do the same. IIRC, the camera body must be a model that lacks native SDM compatibility, hence @UncleVanya using a K100D.*

Edit: I remember wrong. Access to camera debug mode via PKTether is described in the original instructions as is direct access without PKTether. There is no PKTether K-3 support (hence the confusion about compatible bodies?), though direct access debug mode is possible.

Steve

* At least that is how it was being done some years ago when the hack was first proposed.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-12-2016 at 08:17 AM.
04-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

The conversion is a hack against the lens firmware, not the camera, and once done, the lens communicates as if it does not have a built-in motor. Once converted the lens will behave as screw-drive only regardless of the body on which it is mounted.

The most common means for hobbyists to accomplish the hack is to repurpose a suitable camera body in debug mode to reprogram the lens. In a shop, they would have dedicated hardware to do the same. IIRC, the camera body must be a model that lacks native SDM compatibility, hence @UncleVanya using a K100D.*

Edit: I remember wrong. Access to camera debug mode via PKTether is described in the original instructions as is direct access without PKTether. There is no PKTether K-3 support (hence the confusion about compatible bodies?), though direct access debug mode is possible.

Steve

* At least that is how it was being done some years ago when the hack was first proposed.
My K100D Super works just as well as the K100D - I ended up with the K100D after a series of failed attempts with the K100D Super all related to minor confusion in the directions as documented. I have my own "bullet proof" documents I use now but that's a $100 purchase I don't regret the thing is mint and it's nice to have to test lenses before converting since it lacks SDM I can verify that a lens will work before doing the conversion.

The K3 will go into debug but the feature has been disabled somehow.

In any case the point stands - the conversion is easy to do with older equipment and works with all equipment from then on. The only dual drive lens that will not convert this way is the 60-250 and no one knows why.
04-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #13
Site Supporter

The conversion is a hack against the lens firmware, not the camera, and once done, the lens communicates as if it does not have a built-in motor.
Ok ,thanks for the clarification. I originally thought the modification affects the camera firmware.
10-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #14

Interested in this as well ... does it work with the K-5 and PKtether?
10-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #15

I can confirm this is possible with a K-5 and PKtether. Thanks to UncleVanya for a good chat and some tips!

These files are from DucDriver : Dropbox - enable Debug Menu

- prepare an SD card, load 00077430.505, and DEVELOP.MOD files to root of card (the files above for the K-5)
- attached to K5 to PKtether (v0.7)
- click [debug mode] menu at top of PKtether
- click [camera debug mode ON]

- Turn off camera & disconnect camera USB from PKtether
- Insert SD card (tested with door open and closed)
- Hold K5 [MENU] button while turning camera on.

FULL Debug menu now available

use the D pad down arrorw to go to :
debug menu pg. 4
- option 2 - LENS ROM DAT CAMERA=>SD
hit Menu button to exit debug mode. Turn off camera, and take out SD card.
Open the LENSEEP.LNS file on the SD card in Windows with Notepad (save an original copy first)
change 16x instances (for DA*16-50) of C0 (ONLY in column 3) to 80
save in notepad (not save-as)
Copy the newly saved LENSEEP.LNS back to Sd card

put SD card back into camera
enter full debug mode on K5 (hold [menu] button and turn on (tested both door open and closed worked)

go to :
debug menu pg. 4
option 1 - LENS ROM DAT SD=>CAMERA

camera says "wait..." and will verify all address.
Once done, turn off camera.
plug in USB back to PKTether and turn on camera
Choose [Debug Mode OFF]

turn off camera
disconnect USB

Turn on camera, and test Autofocus on Lens!!
(be sure to select the AF switch on the lens itself).

I'd also suggest erasing the debug boot files on the SD card.