Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Different shutter sound

Hi,

I recently got a new old lens - an ISCO-Gottingen Tele-Westanar 135mm f3.5 in M42 mount. As soon as I put it on, I realized that the shutter sounds differently on my K5. I don't know how a shutter sounds when the mirror hits the back of the lens, but that's not how I think it would sound. The best I can describe it is that it sounds like the shutter is made from something else - doesn't produce that clicking sound, but like it's made from some softer material, like fabric. It almost sounds like the blinds when you pull them down. Does that make sense? I never had that sound from any M42 lenses I have (CZJ 50mm, Jupiter 9, Jupiter 37A). The back element of Tele-Westanar does come out a bit, so I am not sure if that's the cause of this change in sound... Any ideas are appreciated!

04-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you think the rear element of the lens is interfering with the mirror, if so you might see half of the frame exposed while the rest is black. If not then I wouldn't worry about it.
04-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's probably just a different way of the acoustics getting through. I notice this when putting sealed vs non-sealed lenses on my 5II.
04-12-2016, 01:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Just one point of clarification .... I've not ever used a screw mount lens, but am I right to assume that there's no aperture noise here to vary, because the lens does not stop down .... Is the aperture manual and fixed at the time of capture?

04-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Just one point of clarification .... I've not ever used a screw mount lens, but am I right to assume that there's no aperture noise here to vary, because the lens does not stop down .... Is the aperture manual and fixed at the time of capture?
yes, the aperture is manual and fixed. By aperture noise do you mean aperture closing or opening during capture?

---------- Post added 04-12-16 at 07:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Do you think the rear element of the lens is interfering with the mirror, if so you might see half of the frame exposed while the rest is black. If not then I wouldn't worry about it.
The pictures are properly exposed, no black lines or anything. I guess I won't worry about it then. Just was very surprised as I never heard that sound with my other lenses...
04-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes I just wanted to clarify that the aperture stopping down at capture was not adding an extra noise. But clearly it's not because it is fixed and doesn't move, it's only the shutter/mirror moving.