Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
What you say makes sense in regards to the ability of the material to absorb. I couldn't put my finger on it but that must be the reason why cloth works so much better.

I've seen the fabric section at Walmart. I may have to follow suit and do the same and buy that cloth. I appreciate you telling us exactly where you purchased everything. I think I'd prefer to buy new cloth rather than washing it and reusing. I don't expect to clean my lenses every time I use them so I probably won't go through it so quickly. I'm not comfortable with the thought of chemicals and/or grit that may get lodged in the cloth after you wash it possibly causing surface scratches on the glass. That is something I want to avoid at all costs.
That is right. The absorption property of the 100% cotton is greater than other types, such as microfiber cloth, which sometimes contains polyester that is non-absorbent. Cotton by itself does not contain any acrylics/polyester, due to that factor it is also less abrasive (soft). As you said, if you wash/reuse cloth, you stand a chance of detergent residue or materials that deposit themselves in the cloth possibly causing smudging/scratching.

I use the brand new cloth (did not wash) and it is excellent. The lady that was at Wal Mart let me buy the foot length (you can usually do that), so it was only a dollar something due to the by yard price only being a little over 3 dollars. You have probably seen the size of those fabric rolls, they are not small, and sometimes the fabric is folded (double layer) on the roll. I use (2) approximately 2 x 3 inch pieces to do a filter cleaning/drying. That is a miniscule part of the piece of cloth I cut it from (which only cost a little over a dollar). You will notice when you see the cloth at the store how much you get at an inexpensive cost. So you will have the option of using new cloth if you want to.

I'm glad if I was of help.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-12-2016 at 09:00 PM.
04-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most effective lens & filter cleaner I use is Eclipse optic cleaning liquid containing methanol & Pec-Pads from Photographic Solutions. One drop on a Pec-Pad is enough to clean a filter or lens. Dries immediately without streaks & buff with the pad. Easily removes the off gases that plastic filter or lens caps emit. 2 oz bottle of Eclipse can't be shipped from B&H. I got it at B&H over 4 years ago & still have 1/2 of it left.

Over the years I have tried ROR & other solutions & Eclipse still cleans the best without any residue. I have used methanol in the chip manufacturing cleanrooms & that led me to using Eclipse.
I started out using cleanroom microfiber lint free cloths before they were made commercially available for the photo industry. Quickly found out they cleaned off errant fingerprints off my lenses without scratching. Use soft brush in between for dust. No need to over clean lenses.

Lens cleaning cloths & optic solutions for eyeglasses are not recommended for lens or filter cleaning as they have other chemicals imbedded in them.
04-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Having seen an alcohol based solution strip the coating off the lenses of a Tokina teleconverter I don't let alcohol or ammonia near my lenses. Just distilled water and a lens chamois finished off with a miicro-fiber cloth. If there is any stubborn oily residue I might add a dab of Ivory soap to the distilled water followed by pure distilled water. The chamois can usually remove finger marks on it's own with distilled water.

And I can buy 12 oz bottles of 50% isopropyl alcohol from the Dollar store at two bottles for a buck.
04-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The reason I use the 91% isopropyl vs. using the 70% or 50 % is because the ingredients other than alcohol may consist of water which contains colorants, perfumes/perfume oils, or other substances. That is where the distilled water with the 91% isopropyl alcohol is useful. 99% isopropyl is also available, but the 91% is easier to find. Distilled water dries cleanly.

Of course, all cleaners are used at your own disgression, but isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) is found in cleaners presently on the market. Being gentle and not over/abusively cleaning also plays a part in caring for filters and lenses.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-13-2016 at 08:34 AM.
04-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachboy2 Quote
The cleaning fluid supplied with new glasses from my optician is definitely to be avoided. Too many compounds I think.
OK for getting finger marks off glasses. Spit or distilled water works better on lenses. I use cleaning solution originally supplied with kits for cleaning vinyl LP records. It's quite good. I might add there used to be controversy that it was nothing more than distilled water!
cheers
bb2
I use Eclipse & Pec-Pads from Photographic Solutions. Tried many others & this cleans better. Started using microfiber cloths from chip cleanroom supplies before they were marketed for photo use. Pec-Pads are lint free. Fabrics from Wally World aren't. Eclipse uses methanol for cleaning. Dries fast & streak free. Eyeglass cloths & cleaners contain chemicals & are to be avoided for photo use.
04-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I use 100% cotton muslin fabric from Wal-Mart and have not had any lint residue.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-13-2016 at 01:57 PM.