Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #1

Pentax ME Super - LED not working & No change in 125x

Hi everyone!

I have a Pentax Me Super that was in excellent working condition until last week. The LED stopped lighting up and the camera does not change shutter speeds in 125x mode in different light conditions.

I've changed batteries and ensured that they were in correct order. To no avail, the camera is not responding. No damage has impacted the camera. I can't think of any possible causes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Many thanks!

04-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately there is a strong possibility that this is the time your camera has chosen to die. Remember the electronics modules of these M series cameras are up to 40 years old, depending on make and year of manufacture, and probably were never intended to last this long, especially if it's never been serviced.

Your profile puts you in the United States. Eric Hendrickson is the go-to guy in the US for service and repair of these old cameras, especially if this one means something personally to you - Look him up here.

Alternatively, if this is a secondhand camera with absolutely no sentimental value, it may be less expensive simply to replace it. You could sell the dead one online (e.g. e-bay or in the marketplace here in the forum), labelling it as "for parts or repair only" and see what you got for it, if that was the case.
04-14-2016, 04:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxacapture Quote
The LED stopped lighting up and the camera does not change shutter speeds in 125x mode in different light conditions.
If you set the ME Super to 125x mode by using the mode wheel (not the buttons!), it will turn into a fully mechanic camera, and shoot with the fixed exposure time of 1/125 sec.

I remember when in 1982 my first ME Super dropped 1m down to a concrete floor, all electronics stopped working. Nevertheless I could still go on using it for party photography (with a thyristor flash), without any restrictions.

EDIT:
If there is a problem with the mode wheel, it can happen that the camera is stuck in 125x mode. In this mode, LEDs are not used. This is not the same as if you use "M" mode and set the exposure time to 1/125 sec: then you'll get the over/under expose LEDs in the viewfinder.

Last edited by RKKS08; 04-14-2016 at 05:06 AM.
04-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
If you set the ME Super to 125x mode by using the mode wheel (not the buttons!), it will turn into a fully mechanic camera, and shoot with the fixed exposure time of 1/125 sec.

I remember when in 1982 my first ME Super dropped 1m down to a concrete floor, all electronics stopped working. Nevertheless I could still go on using it for party photography (with a thyristor flash), without any restrictions.

EDIT:
If there is a problem with the mode wheel, it can happen that the camera is stuck in 125x mode. In this mode, LEDs are not used. This is not the same as if you use "M" mode and set the exposure time to 1/125 sec: then you'll get the over/under expose LEDs in the viewfinder.
The wheel is not stuck at 125x mode but in AUTO and M modes, the mechanical shutter sounds the same (1/125 seconds) all modes, expect in B mode. There is no life in the LED displays in either AUTO or M settings.

04-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxacapture Quote
The wheel is not stuck at 125x mode but in AUTO and M modes, the mechanical shutter sounds the same (1/125 seconds) all modes, expect in B mode. There is no life in the LED displays in either AUTO or M settings.
New thought - this is exactly what my ME sounded like when I last took the batteries out. You've told us yours are fresh. So for your camera, either the electronics are dead, or power is not getting to them for some reason. If it's the latter, the fix may be easy.

You could try looking at the cap of the battery compartment - my P3 (which I inherited after years unused in a cupboard) had shut down because corrosion had interrupted the circuit, and a little bit of gentle scraping right in the middle with a flat-head screwdriver fixed that and brought it back to life (something which has repeated itself at least once since then, with the same simple cure).

Barring that, you are looking at professional diagnosis and repair.
06-06-2016, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #6

pathdoc - sorry for resurrecting a dead post, but I just registered to say thanks so much for your suggestion - worked a charm and saved me some tears! All the best.
06-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepperbrow Quote
I just registered to say thanks so much for your suggestion - worked a charm and saved me some tears!
Excellent! What sort of camera did you resurrect?

06-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #8

It was a Pentax ME Super. It had worked a year ago, but (stupidly) I left the batteries in and one leaked a little on the cover. I popped a new CR1/3N cell in and that's when I started to panic...

I have a trip to Bodmin Moor this weekend and want to try shooting some landscapes with some Lomochrome Purple that I was gifted by a friend, so this would have been a bad time for the camera to brick.
02-10-2021, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
New thought - this is exactly what my ME sounded like when I last took the batteries out. You've told us yours are fresh. So for your camera, either the electronics are dead, or power is not getting to them for some reason. If it's the latter, the fix may be easy.

You could try looking at the cap of the battery compartment - my P3 (which I inherited after years unused in a cupboard) had shut down because corrosion had interrupted the circuit, and a little bit of gentle scraping right in the middle with a flat-head screwdriver fixed that and brought it back to life (something which has repeated itself at least once since then, with the same simple cure).

Barring that, you are looking at professional diagnosis and repair.
So here I am in 2021, some 5 years later and I come across this thread. I bought a used ME Super and thought it was DOA. It was an estate sale so I couldn't test it, plus it was only $20 CDN, so like $12 USD or so. Came with the case, 50mm f2, and a Sigma 70-210? or something close to that.

Long story short, I was 2 minutes from plunking this on the display shelf forever when I thought to scrape the battery cover and VOILA. Life saver post. Thank you!!
02-16-2021, 12:17 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DougIvey Quote
So here I am in 2021, some 5 years later and I come across this thread. I bought a used ME Super and thought it was DOA. It was an estate sale so I couldn't test it, plus it was only $20 CDN, so like $12 USD or so. Came with the case, 50mm f2, and a Sigma 70-210? or something close to that.

Long story short, I was 2 minutes from plunking this on the display shelf forever when I thought to scrape the battery cover and VOILA. Life saver post. Thank you!!
DougIvey, that's a brilliant price for that kit !
02-16-2021, 05:23 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by dtroxell Quote
DougIvey, that's a brilliant price for that kit !
He didn't know what he was selling and I didn't know what I was buying. It was pure luck that it worked out for me. I'm into my first roll of film now since reading up on it. I love it!!