Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #1

T-mount telescope adapter for Pentax

Hi,
I went to your store once and I want to get some information of it.
My Camera is a istDs. I want to get a T Mount for a telescope of my
camera. Can you tell me the name of it so I can search it online to
buy one? I have already bought a screw mount online but I realized it
was not the right one. And are all the telescopes using the same T
mount? I have an Orion 80ed scope for $499.
Thanks,
Jerry Wang

04-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which store did you go to?
04-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Which store did you go to?
I just went to the Keeble and shuchat store
04-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
Palo Alto, CA

04-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #5

Well, you need a T-mount to fit Pentax K, that much is clear.

The T-mount was a semi-universal mount developed by Tamron a long time ago, mainly to adapt various inexpensive pre-set lenses without aperture couplings to a variety of cameras. However, it has since become the standard way of attaching cameras to things like telescopes, microscopes, spotting scopes etc.

The trick is that the T-mount has threads on the lens side, and the mount for the camera on the back. Often the mount is made in two pieces with tiny screws that can be loosened so the camera can be oriented correctly, and then tightened.

I can't speak for your telescope, but you usually need a "camera adapter" from the telescope manufacturer. It's usually an empty tube that fits over the eyepiece, or replaces the eyepiece. It fits on the telescope, and has T threads on the back - to which you screw on your appropriate T-mount. So you actually need two things to get a camera mounted on a telescope.

The problem is that while the camera store sells the T-mounts, it's the telescope store that sells the adapter tube. Unless you were lucky enough to get one included in the telescope box, of course.
04-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #6

I cannot tell you what eyepiece mount your scope uses. I can tell you this adapter is what I use on all my Pentax K bodies for T-mount scopes. T-mount is 42mm x 0.75mm and fairly standard on telescopes and spotting scopes.
04-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
Emperor and Senpai

Amazon sells them. You can either get an eyepiece projection one or a prime focus one. make sure that whichever you get you make sure that you get one for the proper eyepiece size, whether 1.25 or 2 inch.
04-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This will probably fit just fine. It looks like the one I got for my telescope.

04-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all of you
04-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I can't speak for your telescope, but you usually need a "camera adapter" from the telescope manufacturer. It's usually an empty tube that fits over the eyepiece, or replaces the eyepiece. It fits on the telescope, and has T threads on the back - to which you screw on your appropriate T-mount. So you actually need two things to get a camera mounted on a telescope.
As noted if your telescope came with a camera adapter or is threaded for a T-mount adapter all you need is a T-mount to Pentax K-mount adapter. Otherwise you need to buy the camera adapter as well.

Orion sells two both for 1.25" eyepiece openings.

1.25" Orion Universal Camera Adapter | Orion Telescopes
1.25" Orion Variable Universal Camera Adapter | Orion Telescopes
04-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ziywang19 Quote
I have an Orion 80ed scope for $499.
According to the specifications for this telescope it has a 2" Crayford focuser. So a 2" adaptor and a T mount (Pentax K to thread) will be required to adapt any Pentax DSLR.
04-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So a 2" adaptor and a T mount (Pentax K to thread) will be required to adapt any Pentax DSLR.
It says it comes with a 2" to 1.25" adapter.

ED80 80mm f/7.5 Apochromatic Refractor Telescope | Orion Telescopes
QuoteQuote:
Features a smooth-adjusting 2" aluminum Crayford focuser that accepts 2" or 1.25" astronomy accessories for a wide variety of applications

In the Box
Orion 80mm f/7.5 ED Refractor optical tube assembly
2" - 1.25" telescope eyepiece adapter
Dust cap
Starry Night special edition software
They sell a 2" adapter too. The advantage with the 1.25" adapters is you can use a 1.25" eyepiece in them for eyepiece projection imaging for greater magnification without having to buy additional adapters and extensions for the 2" adapter.

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Camera-Adapters-T-Rings/Orion-Tape...2/p/113926.uts

http://www.astronomysource.com/2011/10/13/eyepiece-projection/

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-14-2016 at 05:20 PM.
04-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #13

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Using a 1.25" adapter may cause viginetting..us a 2" to make sure this doesn't happen. 2" adapter directly into the 2" focuser. I used to use a 1.25" when I started out, yet it's been gathering dust unless I want to use a 1.25" eyepiece...
04-18-2016, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Since this scope has a 2": Crayford focuser, this should be the adapter that will work.

Prime Focus Camera Adapter for 2" Crayford Focuser | Orion Telescopes

Check your focusing tube, it should have threads inside the tube, once you take off the existing eyepiece adapter. Both the 1.25" and 2" adapters screw on and off, and as far as eyepieces go, the 2" is nicer, but usually a little more expensive. Once you get to eyepieces below 10mm the image starts to degrade a lot, due to the higher magnification.

A 2x Barlow lens is a nice addition, coupled with the 25mm eyepiece it will get a very nice view with a good range of magnification and still keep good image quality. Couple it with a 10mm eyepiece and it works, but it's not easy to get good sharp focus. Anything you look at will also move out of the view pretty fast. I've used mine for the moon lots of times, you get about 30 seconds if the scope is stationary without tracking. You can also get a 3x Barlow, but image quality degrades more than I like, a friend has one, we normally use the 2x. It's great for moon and planets, and sometimes for nebulas, for deep space stuff I usually stick to the 25mm eyepiece by itself.

For astrophotography you'll also need a tripod mount for it that has tracking capability. Otherwise the moon is about all you can successfully photograph.With a stationary scope, or camera, I've always gotten start trails with anything over about a 4 second exposure, you'll need at least 30 seconds for deep space objects like nebulas, or even planets like Jupiter or Saturn. I Haven't tried it with my scope, no tracking, but with the K30 on a tripod just a might sky shot gets star trails at 6 or 8 seconds. My scope is a Orion 6" Sky Quest Dobson mount, and just got a Meade Starfinder 12.5 inch, also Dobson mount but a beginner model. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet, only had it a few days, but got the primary lens cleaned and part of the collimation done.

Your 80mm objective is about 3.25", and a refractor type scope generally gets a very good image, so it should probably match a 5" reflector scope as far as image quality goes (looking through the eyepiece). I've used a 5" refractor at a star party a few years ago, it made my 6" look like a toy. It was every bit as good as a friend's 8" Orion identical to mine. Knowing what a refractor can do, I think you'll be pleased with it, and Orion always uses very good optics. Their eyelenses are good Plossl lenses that should work well too, and if it were me, I'd shell out a few extra bucks for the 2" lenses.

One note, I'm sure you may have already heard this, but it's very important and I have to repeat it. DO NOT point that thing at the sun. If you want to do solar viewing get a solar filter, or use it to project a solar image onto a sheet of typing paper. That works well, I've done it with my Orion. You can use the shadow to align it so it's pointed in the right direction, it's tedious to get it exactly right, then hold a sheet of paper about a foot from the eyelens and it will give you a good image of the sun without blinding you. Never ever look through either the scope or the spotter scope at the sun. It WILL blind you in about 2 seconds. I put my sheet of paper on a clip board, once it was focused I could count sunspots. The further away you hols the paper, the larger the projected image will be. About a foot away or a little more makes the sun's image about 6" diameter.

I'm not crazy about the Starry Nights software that comes with the Orion, I downloaded the K Stars software originally written for Linux, and ported over to Windows a while back. If you can find it, there's also a Linux Live CD named Cloudy Skies that is a bootable Linux CD that is all astronomical software and has several planetarium programs. I think they dropped development a few years ago, my copy is about 10 years old.

See if you can find a red filter for a flashlight, it's great to light up the area for lens changes and such, and won't kill your might vision. An eye patch to cover the eye you are not using is also helpful, your eye will get tired if you try closing one eye and looking with the other. Green astronomcal laser pointers are also nice if you're trying to show someone where you're looking, never point one at an airplane. Red ones don't work for astronomy, you can't see the beam at night. (I've tried)

All of this is assuming you're new to astronomy, if you already knew most of it, I'm not trying to treat you like an idiot. I've been intoi it for around 15 years since I got my first cheap, small Meade beginner scope, then got the Orion 6" a few months later. I love the Dobson mount, it's more stable than most tripods. I was able to see both Saturn and Mars at closest approach years ago, a couple of lunar eclipses, and have spotted a number of deep space objects... Orion Nebula, Ring and Dumbbell Nebulas, Double Cluster, Andromeda Galaxy, Hercules Cluster, Crab Nebula once, and several of the others around Lyra and Sagittarius. The coldest winter nights will always get the clearest skies. I haven't tried any photography, neither of my scopes has tracking capability. I have a T mount to Pentax K that I use for a Lentar 135mm T mount lens, but no scope adapter.