Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 06:50 AM   #16

Original Poster
do i need a tripod ring mount

Interesting,,,,,,,,,,,15 people answered my question,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,NO one answered the question....

which means i am forced to find the solution elsewhere....

I thought people on a forum would be knowledgeable about a given issue,instead the 15 peoplee had a forum among themselves, neither one was able to figure out which lens I have , or the the question i asked,,

I am deeply sorry for asking such a stupid question,,,,,,,,,i appreciated ALL the answers but it will not happen again...

happy shutters to all!

04-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that's a pretty harsh reply to people taking their time trying to help out a fellow member. In your initial post, you didn't give the members much detail to work with, but they did take the time to try.

QuoteOriginally posted by zevandstanley Quote
neither one was able to figure out which lens I have , or the the question i asked
It gets confusing, when one of your previous posts said:

",i removed my K3iis and fa*300mm "

Perhaps more information on your behalf would have resulted in more "suitable" answers. Sorry you didn't get the information you desired; but those 15 people at least made an effort to answer your question, and help you. I hope you find an answer you like, so that you can enjoy that lens!

Last edited by csa; 04-16-2016 at 08:28 AM.
04-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure how you expect anyone else to know what lens you have when you don't seem to know either. The problem is that Pentax made several versions of the 300mm f4. Some came with a tripod mount...some didn't. On longer lenses, it's always nice to have a tripod mount, but depending upon which specific lens you have, Pentax may or may not have thought one was needed...and they know this gear much better than anyone else. The older manual focus 300mm f4 lens always looked a little front-heavy to me, so I thought a tripod mount would be nice, but as I said earlier, I had never seen one for those lenses so Pentax must have thought one wasn't needed.
04-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting,,,,,,,,,,,15 people answered my question,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,NO one answered the question....

which means i am forced to find the solution elsewhere....

I thought people on a forum would be knowledgeable about a given issue,instead the 15 peoplee had a forum among themselves, neither one was able to figure out which lens I have , or the the question i asked,,

I am deeply sorry for asking such a stupid question,,,,,,,,,i appreciated ALL the answers but it will not happen again...

happy shutters to all!
A picture is worth a thousand words. Perhaps you can clear up the confusion by posting a picture of the lens in question. As someone else said your question was so low in information content that people tried to determine what you meant. Your question wasn't stupid - but reacting the way you seem to be might be. It is likely that many of the people who attempted to help you will not do so again.

04-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #20

Original Poster
I just tried to post a photo of my lens...

---------- Post added 04-16-16 at 08:47 AM ----------

Thank you for every ones help..
Attached Images

04-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Are you feeling contrite now? That lens has no dedicated tripod collar and looking at the pictures in the forum lens review, I don't think there is any spot on the lens where you can mount an aftermarket 3rd party tripod collar. The only viable spot might be the lens mounting grip area between the focus ring and the aperture ring but you won't be able to rotate the camera from landscape to portrait and visa versa without difficulty. The alternatives pointed out by other members of the forum may be the option instead.
04-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Manfrotto universal support may work. There are also some film centric supports that support only from underneath and use rail system to adjust the positioning. That lens is fairly light - it may not really require extra support.

04-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The Manfrotto universal support may work. There are also some film centric supports that support only from underneath and use rail system to adjust the positioning. That lens is fairly light - it may not really require extra support.
Uncle Vanya,,,,,thank you very much for the help and the kind words,,,,,,,,,,I think I angered a few, so I decided i will "try" one from ebay.ca
I can get on for $20.00 or so...........
04-16-2016, 11:06 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I angered a few
Not angered, just disappointed. I think we felt that you showed no appreciation for those that took the time trying to help you.

I hope that what you ordered works out for you!
04-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Uncle Vanya,,,,,thank you very much for the help and the kind words,,,,,,,,,,I think I angered a few, so I decided i will "try" one from ebay.ca
I can get on for $20.00 or so...........
Let us know if it works well for you.
04-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I have a SMC K 300 f4 too [must sell it, since I also have the DA*].

On eBay you can get tripod mount rings for other brand lenses that will fit on the SMC K 300/4. I have two such tripod mount rings - one for a Canon 100 f2.8 Macro with a diameter of ~70mm that forms a tight fit on the SMC 300 K, and another for the Canon 70-200 f2.8 that makes a looser fit. Search for tripod rings for those Canon lenses, and you will come up with lots of options for your K 300/4.

Both of the ones I have were $5-$10 cheap, and with some wiggling and padding both work. The white plastic lump (finger point guide for lens changing) on the K 300/4 lens barrel does form a small obstruction to these tripod mount rings, but they still do the job.
04-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #27

Original Poster
do i need atripod mount

Hi RAWR,,,,,,,,,,thank for your help,,,,,however after 25 respondants, my question was STILL not answered,,,,,,,,,,

Do i "NEED" a tripod mount for the 300mm... do you have to use it, or if you have pro ball mount that can support the
weight, cant I just mount the camera on the ballhead instead of the collar....

I have tried it and the lens does NOT dip like some say and the tirpod does not fall over either....and photos are sharp...

the only reason I need to know is that I was outside having a photo session and a "know it all" told me "there should be a collar on that lens!"

---------- Post added 04-16-16 at 12:38 PM ----------

Thank you everyone who responded with ideas on my request.

I really appreciate EVERYONE who took time to answer......

I apologize for angering or confusing any....

happy shutters!

---------- Post added 04-16-16 at 12:39 PM ----------

Thank you everyone who responded with ideas on my request.

I really appreciate EVERYONE who took time to answer......

I apologize for angering or confusing any....

happy shutters!
04-16-2016, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Do i "NEED" a tripod mount for the 300mm... do you have to use it, or if you have pro ball mount that can support the
weight, cant I just mount the camera on the ballhead instead of the collar.
Sure. The lens will work fine with no tripod mount ring. So a tripod ring is not needed. It's a matter of preference, not necessity.

But, in my opinion, a tripod ring on a long lens provides better support and stability for the lens than just relying on the camera to support the lens. Better stability for telephoto 300mm and above is extra important.

I also find the balance and handling to be better when big lenses are directly supported (via a tripod ring or other means) on top of a monopod or tripod.
04-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #29
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have tried it and the lens does NOT dip like some say and the tirpod does not fall over either....and photos are sharp... the only reason I need to know is that I was outside having a photo session and a "know it all" told me "there should be a collar on that lens!"

If you're happy with the results, don't worry about what someone told you. I agree however with rawr, it would be better to have a support on a lens of 300+; but if you're getting good results that pleases you, then it's not a necessity for you. Others may feel that it is a necessity; but we have to decide what works best for us. Frankly, I wish my 55-300 had a tripod ring on it, to support it better; but that's just me.
04-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The FA* 300 also lacks a tripod mount. I like it because of the lighter weight this permits. Of course the F* 300 has a collar and mount and is lighter still.