Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the weight of the lens/camera is stationary on the tripod, mostly at a level angle, with no jerky movement, I doubt if you would have a problem without a lens tripod collar/foot (ring as you called it). If it was 400, 500, or 600, you would be looking at a definite need, but that isn't the case. That is sort of like me saying "I did not have a tripod collar tor my Pentax 55-300 when I had it, because I just did not require it, and it was not shipped to me with one." due to it not being an in depth requirement.

If I were you, I would not even bother with it. I know this is not specific to the "tripod collar/foot/ring" as you had iterated, but I use an L plate that is basically universal with my K-5IIS and K-3II. In case you are interested in being able to switch from horizontal to vertical and vice versa on an Arca-Swiss type tripod head, that may be something to use. I use it with mostly my K-5IIS/Pentax 16-85. It may give you a bit more control. The following web address is to the one that I have.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Release-Plate-L-Compatible-Camera-Benro-Arca-Swiss-Tripod-Head-Universal-/321478584689?hash=item4ad99de971:g:FS8AAOSwHPlWgLbc

If you do encounter a passerby trying to tell you what you should use, as you said you did, just remember that your planning and success is not dependent on a possibly invalid comment.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-16-2016 at 06:46 PM.
04-17-2016, 05:28 AM   #32

Original Poster
do i need atripod mount

Thankx cj!!!.....
04-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zevandstanley Quote
Thankx cj!!!.....
You're welcome!
04-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #34

Original Poster
do I need a tripod mount

Hello,,,everyone!,,,,,,,I would like to take this time to personally THANK "everyone" who took time and responded to help me with my small problem.

I have purchased a mount as the lens is heavy and long so , now everything is well balanced.....

thank you all!!!

HAPPY SHUTTERS !! everyone,,,,,,,,,,

04-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zevandstanley Quote
I have purchased a mount as the lens is heavy and long so , now everything is well balanced...
Sorry I am late to this conversation. I actually started a response within minutes of your original post detailing how to tell if additional support is in order. Sorry I did not finish the post.* The short answer is that your tripod head is designed to support a balanced load. Anything other may result in "sag" and/or unwanted camera motion. Your last comment above shows that you figured it out on your own. Glad it works.

Steve

* Was recovering from major surgery and on narcotics...not a good time to post on a technical topic
05-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #36

I think it very simple: if the lens have an additional mount for tripod - use it!
Remember that the bayonet is fixed to the body with just a few tiny screws