Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Very simple problem...I think...

I have a K-30, which has been fun...mostly. I was dinking around with some manual lenses a while back, and I accidentally made it quirky. I must have pushed a button, clicked on a menu option, scrolled somewhere...I did something I did not intend to. Currently, on a nice, cloudless day, with lots of sun and green grass...the exposures are what I would call about 1/2 stop underexposed. Before I grab the manual, and go through setting everything back to "factory defaults," could someone point in the right direction to maybe fix this? With film, I would simply open up a stop, or so. I know there is a similar method on the K-30, I've just not found it yet.

Thank you for your help.

04-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera could be in a non-default metering mode (i.e. spot or center-weighted instead of matrix), or you could simply have an exposure compensation dialed in. A factory reset from the menu doesn't affect all settings, so be sure to check the latter.

If that doesn't help, attach a sample photo straight out of camera and we'll take a look at the metadata.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Film Guy Quote
With film, I would simply open up a stop,
You can do that with your K30 as well. Put the camera in M (manual) mode and try it. Are you using the green button (stop down metering) with the lens? (assuming its a fully manual lens - no A setting on the aperture ring)
04-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #4

It's only the exposure compensation, I had this problem a few times and also could not find a solution and wanted to do a factory release. Untill suddenly I saw the exposure compensation was dialed in

05-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fotoos.toon Quote
It's only the exposure compensation, I had this problem a few times and also could not find a solution and wanted to do a factory release. Untill suddenly I saw the exposure compensation was dialed in
It was, indeed, exposure compensation...compensating in a way I did not like! I appreciate the help. I did some serious dinking around, and I think trying a factory reset would have cured the problem, but there would have been a lot of dealing with menus and options to get there (cured).

Thanks again. This is a friendly, informed resource for "crossover shooters" like myself.