Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 12:01 AM   #1

fitting third party onto pentax K30 body

I am a beginner in photography and I have recently bought a third party lens (Sigma 55-250 lens) and a new K30 pentax body. The lens did not work. All shots are dark. Is there anything I should do in the camera settings so that it accepts this lens. Please help me.
Alsalman

04-19-2016, 12:15 AM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Alsalman. Is your camera set to P or M on the mode dial.
04-19-2016, 01:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A Sigma 55-250mm lens? I can't find any info about it. Is it an old lens or maybe a Canon 55-250 or a Sigma 50-200? Does it physically fit the K-mount camera? does it have matching electronic contacts?
04-19-2016, 02:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome! Before we can help you further, we need a little additional information. Could you write exactly what is written on the lens? And also provide a photo of the mount of the lens? When you mount the lens, does it say "F---" on the camera LCD or is there a number?

Here are some typical solutions: - If lens has an aperture ring with the letter A, then put it into the A position (you probably have to push a little button for it to go into A. Once it is in A, leave it there forever).
- Dismount the lens and check if the aperture lever works normally (you might have to take lens out of A for this test), if the aperture blades move as they should (to the correct position, and quickly, without major resistance)
- in camera Menu, go to the very last options, and Enable the Aperture ring use.
- make sure when you mount the lens, that it mounts completely. It has to "click" into place. Notice that there are some mounts that are very similar to Pentax K, but are actually not the same, and will not work well or at all.
- Select M mode, and choose ISO 100, and a relatively slow shutter speed (like 1/4), and then look into the lens to see if the aperture blades inside move correctly (to see if camera moves them right)

04-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
A Sigma 55-250mm lens? I can't find any info about it. Is it an old lens or maybe a Canon 55-250 or a Sigma 50-200? Does it physically fit the K-mount camera? does it have matching electronic contacts?
Sorry, the lens is Sigma DC 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 MACRO HSM and it does fit the K30 Pentax body. Both the lens and the camera body are new. The lens fits the body without an adapter.
Alsalman

---------- Post added 04-20-16 at 03:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hey, welcome! Before we can help you further, we need a little additional information. Could you write exactly what is written on the lens? And also provide a photo of the mount of the lens? When you mount the lens, does it say "F---" on the camera LCD or is there a number?

Here are some typical solutions: - If lens has an aperture ring with the letter A, then put it into the A position (you probably have to push a little button for it to go into A. Once it is in A, leave it there forever).
- Dismount the lens and check if the aperture lever works normally (you might have to take lens out of A for this test), if the aperture blades move as they should (to the correct position, and quickly, without major resistance)
- in camera Menu, go to the very last options, and Enable the Aperture ring use.
- make sure when you mount the lens, that it mounts completely. It has to "click" into place. Notice that there are some mounts that are very similar to Pentax K, but are actually not the same, and will not work well or at all.
- Select M mode, and choose ISO 100, and a relatively slow shutter speed (like 1/4), and then look into the lens to see if the aperture blades inside move correctly (to see if camera moves them right)
The lens is Sigma DC 18-250 mm 1:3.5-6.3 MACRO HSM. When I fit the lens on the camera and I switch it on, the Lcd shows (F and a No on the right hand side). I cannot see the letter A anywhere on the lens. The lens fits the camera without using an adapter.
Alsalman
04-20-2016, 05:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks. That lens, as many modern lenses, don’t have an aperture ring and thus no A-setting. That is ok and no problem. This just rules out some potential causes and solutions that we first suspected.

Your lens should work right out of the box, without any trouble or special settings. I suspect it might be a DOA, a defective product that should be returned and replaced free of charge. Before you do that, there is a few things you can do to test and potentially confirm that its DOA. If you can test with another lens that you know works, it should rule out problems with the camera. The store you bought in from should be helpful, or if you live fare from it, you might know someone that can lend you a lens. Note that even old K mount lenses from the 80's should work fine (just enable the use of aperture ring use in the menu). If you find it difficult to find a lens, you could even shoot without a lens just to confirm that the images are not dark. It will be totally without detail, but thats not the purpose of the test. Its just to test that the light metering and shutter works fine. You need to enable the use of aperture ring in the menu to do this test.

One possible problem with the lens can be that it reports a large aperture to the camera, but something broken makes it use a small aperture internally. This might be tested by using the Ev compensation. Try to set the Ev to +5. If this turns out better then it might be the lens aperture or the metering in the camera that are broken. Or just that someone set your Ev compensation to -5. I really hope we can help you out and make use of your new and excellent camera.
04-20-2016, 07:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Alsalman. Is your camera set to P or M on the mode dial.
The camera can be set to either P or M.

---------- Post added 04-20-16 at 07:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Thanks. That lens, as many modern lenses, don’t have an aperture ring and thus no A-setting. That is ok and no problem. This just rules out some potential causes and solutions that we first suspected.

Your lens should work right out of the box, without any trouble or special settings. I suspect it might be a DOA, a defective product that should be returned and replaced free of charge. Before you do that, there is a few things you can do to test and potentially confirm that its DOA. If you can test with another lens that you know works, it should rule out problems with the camera. The store you bought in from should be helpful, or if you live fare from it, you might know someone that can lend you a lens. Note that even old K mount lenses from the 80's should work fine (just enable the use of aperture ring use in the menu). If you find it difficult to find a lens, you could even shoot without a lens just to confirm that the images are not dark. It will be totally without detail, but thats not the purpose of the test. Its just to test that the light metering and shutter works fine. You need to enable the use of aperture ring in the menu to do this test.

One possible problem with the lens can be that it reports a large aperture to the camera, but something broken makes it use a small aperture internally. This might be tested by using the Ev compensation. Try to set the Ev to +5. If this turns out better then it might be the lens aperture or the metering in the camera that are broken. Or just that someone set your Ev compensation to -5. I really hope we can help you out and make use of your new and excellent camera.
Thank you very much for your help and guidance. I have tested the camera with a very old pentax lens and it worked fine. To give you further information, I have suspected the the Sigma lens to be DOA and bought a new Pentax 55-300 zoom lens from the same source (Amazon) and which I received four days ago and fitted it onto the camera. I was disappointed because it did not work either. So now I have two - state of the art lenses that do not work and very old lens which is only manual but works. I am puzzled. Could both lenses DOA?. The EV is set to (-5). How do I set it to (+5)?. Thank you.
Alsalman

Last edited by hameedaysal; 04-20-2016 at 08:04 AM. Reason: additional information
04-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You should get those lenses exchanged. But I agree, that is very odd to get two broken lenses in a row. Both of those lenses should work fine without special settings. Just put it into P or Auto mode and it should give you images.
Did you do the tests that were recommended in this thread? I suspect the problem might be aperture blade mechanism within the lens, or the aperture drive on the camera itself (which could mean the lenses are fine, but camera is broken in some way). Dismount the 55-300mm and look at the back, the mount. There is a little lever that moves within the slot. Try gently moving it a little. Do the aperture blades inside the lens close down as soon as you move the aperture lever?

04-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Or perhaps the camera is faulty (at controlling aperture)? Using a manual lens won't tell you much since the camera will control the aperture mechanically in that case.

I would guess that if a 3rd lens gives you the same problem, it is the camera at fault.
04-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

You say the ev is set to -5? Then you will only get dark images. Not sure on the k-50 but on the K-s2 there is a button that has +/- on a square with the + side light and the - side dark. I just hit that and use the aperture dial. You might need to go into the menu without that button. At +5 you should get a white image.
04-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

On the K-30 the +/- Ev button is very close to the shutter release button. It should normally be set to zero.

0 normally results in a nice balanced brightness
+5 adjusts the light metering to make the image 5 stops brighter
-5 adjusts the light metering to make the image 5 stops darker

When I use this function I rarely need to push the exposure more then 1 stop in ether direction. 5 stops in ether direction is quite extreme.
04-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You should get those lenses exchanged. But I agree, that is very odd to get two broken lenses in a row. Both of those lenses should work fine without special settings. Just put it into P or Auto mode and it should give you images.
Did you do the tests that were recommended in this thread? I suspect the problem might be aperture blade mechanism within the lens, or the aperture drive on the camera itself (which could mean the lenses are fine, but camera is broken in some way). Dismount the 55-300mm and look at the back, the mount. There is a little lever that moves within the slot. Try gently moving it a little. Do the aperture blades inside the lens close down as soon as you move the aperture lever?
Hi, Yes I did the tests mentioned and are OK. I moved the lever on the 55-300 and it responded OK. I am trying to adjust the EV to the plus side. It is now (-5). Thanks
Alsalman
04-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Oh, EV should definitely be set to 0. And make sure you do not have something like exposure bracketing enabled. I can't think of any other options that would make the photos dark.
But if you set the mode dial on the camera to P, then you should get usable images immediately
04-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Please help us help you and set your camera to green mode and try to take some pictures with the sigma and the Pentax 55-300mm. You should be getting decent looking pictures. If pictures are still black, your k-30 has the broken aperture thing problem.
04-22-2016, 12:23 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Please help us help you and set your camera to green mode and try to take some pictures with the sigma and the Pentax 55-300mm. You should be getting decent looking pictures. If pictures are still black, your k-30 has the broken aperture thing problem.
Hi, I have done some tests using your guidance with both the sigma 18-250 lens and the 55-300 pentax lens and below are the results for your comments.
Sigma lens (Indoors)
Mode Auto - at EV (0) - Images are dark both with and without using flash
at EV (-5) - Images are dark with and without using flash
at EV (+5) - Images are fair with and without using flash
Mode Manual - (All settings) - Images are dark with and without using flash
Sigma lens - (Outdoors)
Mode - Manual - EV (0) - Images are good without using flash
Images are v.good using flash
Mode - Auto - EV (0) - Images are fair with and without flash
EV (+5) Images are very good with and without flash
EV (-5) Images are dark with and without flash

Pentax 55-300 - Indoors
Mode Auto- EV (0) Images are dark with and without flash
EV (-5) Images are dark with and without flash
EV (+5) Images are dark without flash and fair with flash
Mode Manual - Images are dark with and without using flash

Pentax 55-300 - Outdoors
Mode - Manual EV (0) Images very good with and without flash
EV (-5) Images are very good with and without flash but the EV settings goes to (+5) automatically
Mode - Auto EV (-5) Images are dark with and without flash
EV (0) Images are dark with and without flash
Ev (+5) Images are good with and without flash

I would appreciate if you would examine these results and advise me of your conclusions. Thank you
Alsalman