Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Ebay sent me this notice on March 11, 2016.

"Selling to US buyers just got easier.

As of yesterday, the United States has increased their de minimis threshold from US$200 to US$800. In practice, this means that goods shipped by Canadians to US buyers will only be assessed for duties if their value exceeds US$800.

This change should make Canadian exporters on eBay even more competitive: Canadian inventory does well in the US and now a key barrier for US buyers has been lifted. Canadian sellers who have previously shied away from listing high-value items should re-consider these decisions in light of this de minimis increase.

The threshold change is due to the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015, which President Obama signed into law in late February. eBay actively supported this legislation and we’re pleased to see it finally come into effect – it will be a huge benefit for international sellers who ship to the US. (Learn more.)

Sincerely,

eBay Canada"
I can confirm that coming back from the EU that's the amount we were told was duty free for goods purchased overseas as well.
We just got back 4/4/16.
My recent tripod purchase was just over $200 and came from Canada this week - no duties.

04-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I maybe wrong but NAFTA should only apply to good produced in North America.
The pertinent regulations for importing from Canada are those involving "most favored nations". NAFTA is not involved. Photographic cameras, lenses, and accessories come in duty-free from Canada and many other countries. To the best of knowledge, the ability of local jurisdictions in the U.S. to collect sales taxes is limited for goods purchased outside the country, so that should not be a problem.

Exporting to Canada is similar in regards to duty, but since there is a national VAT, I think it is safe to assume that will be assessed to the recipient at some point. If so, it will not be the responsibility of the seller to collect the tax.

I have found that it is best to use the Canada and U.S. postal systems. UPS and other package delivery services will impose a customs brokerage fee ($$) that is usually completely unnecessary. My understanding is that they do this as a form of insurance regarding their service level. A customs broker is bonded to pay any duty with the result that the goods are not held at the border or post office or a customs warehouse and the carrier is able to deliver 2nd day or whatever.

Steve

(...bought from Canada and sold to Canadians...used to do work related to import/export and customs laws...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-19-2016 at 11:02 AM.
04-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #18
Forum Member

The only concern on ebay is their Global Shipping Program

While the OP is discussing a purchase from the US, I live in Canada and will never again buy from anyone on ebay that uses the awful ebay Global Shipping program that is administered (or should I say racketeered) by Pitney Bowes.

Just google it. Lots of Canadians burned by it, me included. They use outrageous brokerage fees and trying to find someone accountable when shipping gets delayed, etc., is near impossible.

If the person you are buying from in Canada is using this service, then you might experience some headaches. I know that Canadian ebayers have been burned by the Global Shipping program in the past.

Other than that, if the Canadian seller gives you a hard time, just tell him Gord in Toronto or Frank from Saskatoon will come knocking at his door ... we're a small country and know each other ... ;-)

Take care,
Newfie
04-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
So, only buy from sellers who ship Canada Post.
Within Canada, absolutely.

It may be CRA - all I know is that I'm getting plugged. I'm not sure it isn't customs - I have something arriving from the US soon, and I shall take more careful note of exactly who is claiming my money.

04-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'm in Canada. Customs have hit me with something for foreign lenses EVERY TIME (doubtless NL sales tax). It takes the shine off buying from ebay in the US. Buying new, the Canadian prices are so crazy for some things that B&H has a slight edge.
You can get charged sales tax for anything you import by mail for over $20.00. It just depends on the mood of the CBSA agent, sometimes you get lucky sometimes not.

Importing by Mail

Phil.
04-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If it is sent from Canada with Canada Post, once it gets to the US USPS takes it from there. As far as I know, neither postal service charges brokerage fees, which can be $$.
I once paid $60 brokerage fee for a $150 lens. Never again make that mistake

Randy
04-19-2016, 04:41 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have friends in Canada. I can't send them gifts without someone hosing them.

Within
Canada, absolutely.

It may be CRA - all I know is that I'm getting plugged. I'm not sure it isn't customs - I have something arriving from the US soon, and I shall take more careful note of exactly who is claiming my money.

04-20-2016, 05:29 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
If it is sent from Canada with Canada Post, once it gets to the US USPS takes it from there. As far as I know, neither postal service charges brokerage fees, which can be $$.
I once paid $60 brokerage fee for a $150 lens. Never again make that mistake

Randy
Yep, the brokerage fees are killer. 'Customs' is usually just the destination province GST (federal + provincial sales taxes). Avoid UPS and FedEx, always go with USPS if possible. Otherwise factor the huge markup into what you are willing to pay.
04-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Otherwise factor the huge markup into what you are willing to pay.
E-bay is usually reasonably honest at indicating what this is going to be - for BIN purchases. And I can factor that in and live with it, if it's stated up front and I really, desperately want what's on offer. For bidding wars that might end high, though, it's a different matter.

My biggest gripe/puzzlement with E-bay is that two different sellers from California (about as far from Newfoundland as it's possible to get and still be in the lower 48) can ask $20 or close to $60 (sometimes even more) in postage for an item of about the same size and nature, and sometimes a great BIN price is wrecked by hideous postage. It sort of sucks to be in NL because air or sea transport is mandatory; nothing can come purely by road. But that's an entirely different gripe.
04-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #25
Pentaxian

E-bay is usually reasonably honest at indicating what this is going to be - for BIN purchases. And I can factor that in and live with it, if it's stated up front and I really, desperately want what's on offer. For bidding wars that might end high, though, it's a different matter.

My biggest gripe/puzzlement with E-bay is that two different sellers from California (about as far from Newfoundland as it's possible to get and still be in the lower 48) can ask $20 or close to $60 (sometimes even more) in postage for an item of about the same size and nature, and sometimes a great BIN price is wrecked by hideous postage. It sort of sucks to be in NL because air or sea transport is mandatory; nothing can come purely by road. But that's an entirely different gripe.
I think P & S and 'brokerage' are two areas open to abuse by unscrupulous sellers, who low-ball their asking price then make up for it on these 'hidden' extra charges. Noticed this a lot when pricing film on ebay.
04-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I wonder if there is a difference between buying from a business vs buying from an individual. I never had problems buying from Americans on Ebay and never paid anything above the purchase price. I once bought a $115 item from a US business and had to pay duties and a $70 brokerage fee. Wasn't happy at all about that, as there was no prior indication of such costs.
04-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Newfie Quote
or Frank from Saskatoon will come knocking at his door
Had a beer with Frank last night . . . .he sez to tell you 'hello'
04-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Bought a lens from a Canadian a few weeks ago. Was an excellent experience. Shipping was by Canadian Post (cost $19 USD), sent on Monday, delivered by the USPS on Thursday. I wish all transactions went this smoothly.
04-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Had a beer with Frank last night . . . .he sez to tell you 'hello'
(How is Frank? I haven't seen him for quite a while.)

I have sold a number of cameras and lenses to buyers in the US through eBay. I ship by Canada Post, and the items are delivered by USPS. I am not aware that any of the items attracted any additional fees such as customs or sales taxes. And the delivery times were fairly speedy.

- Craig
04-25-2016, 03:18 AM   #30
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I just received a lens from Canada, via Canada Post (and then USPS) - no additional fees beyond shipping charges at all...