Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All lens needs AF fine adjustment, does the camera need a global adjustment? Thanks

Hi Pentaxian,

I have had Pentax gears for years. Recently purchased a Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200 2.8 and found it requires AF find adjustment -4 on my K-5 IIS.

Then I tried out all my lens, and found almost all of them need negative (-) adjustment. Here they are:

Tamron 17-50 2.8: -9 needed
FA35 2: -4 needed
FA50 1.4: -3 needed
DA 50-135: -2 needed
Tamron 90 macro: This is the only lens that doesn't need fine adjustment.

My question: Does the body need a global adjustment like -4 or just leave the individual settings as they are? thanks,

Ben

04-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as you are within the range of adjustment you are fine.

You cannot set both global and individual adjustments as far as i know
04-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
As long as you are within the range of adjustment you are fine.

You cannot set both global and individual adjustments as far as i know
I would differ with that. It is my understanding the global and individual adjustments are cumulative.

If he did a global -4, he'd need a -5 to +4 individually for the lenses.

I'm just not sure if the cumulative may exceed +/-10 in total adjustments.
04-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #4

My understanding is that the AF fine adjustment feature is an either/or logic, in which the in-camera adjustment applies to either all lenses globally or each individual lens that can be uniquely identified and retained in memory. Thus acting as a simple toggle, the global and individual settings cannot be additive. Therefore in the case where different lenses should receive different setting, the AF fine adjust should be set to the individual lens selection and the value required for each lens entered directly for that lens (e.g. with out any summation or subtraction to account for the global setting which does not apply if the individual option is selected, cumulative cannot be applied).

In the event that an AF fine adjustment value exceeding the camera's limit (e.g +/- 10) is required, one of the following three options are available:
- Have the camera calibrated to an OEM master lens by an authorized service center (sets the camera to nominal or closer to nominal).
- Have the particular lens calibrated to a focus target according to the OEM master nominal specification by an authorized repair center.
- Exchange the camera body or lens for another copy that better suits the adjustment offset of the equipment you are keeping.

Last edited by One3rdEV; 04-19-2016 at 03:06 PM.
04-20-2016, 05:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I would differ with that. It is my understanding the global and individual adjustments are cumulative.

If he did a global -4, he'd need a -5 to +4 individually for the lenses.

I'm just not sure if the cumulative may exceed +/-10 in total adjustments.
Some while ago I confirmed directly from Pentax Technical Support Europe that AF Fine adjustment per lens and global are not cumulative; it's one or the other.

If the camera and lenses have a consistent trend, i.e negative, a service department can make a mechanical adjustment inside the body to effectively re-set the start point for subsequent AF adjustment.

In this instance the mechanical adjustment would be to set a new '0' start point at around the current -5.
04-20-2016, 06:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Some while ago I confirmed directly from Pentax Technical Support Europe that AF Fine adjustment per lens and global are not cumulative; it's one or the other.

If the camera and lenses have a consistent trend, i.e negative, a service department can make a mechanical adjustment inside the body to effectively re-set the start point for subsequent AF adjustment.

In this instance the mechanical adjustment would be to set a new '0' start point at around the current -5.

Thank you! However the camera is now out of warranty so I have to live with individual settings...
04-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Pentax needs to get their stories straight.

In September of 2011, I talked to Matt at Pentax USA technical support, concerning my K5. He told me that the global and the per lens adjustment were additive. A -5 global adjustment and a -3 individual lens adjustment would total a -8 adjustment.
04-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Pentax needs to get their stories straight.

In September of 2011, I talked to Matt at Pentax USA technical support, concerning my K5. He told me that the global and the per lens adjustment were additive. A -5 global adjustment and a -3 individual lens adjustment would total a -8 adjustment.
I agree. The test is simple though.

Take a lens that needs adjustment, to say, +5 in 'per lens'.

If the AF effect is cumulative then if you now re-set that lens to -5 in 'per lens', then set 'global' to +10, the net effect should be a lens in perfect focus, as the 10-5 =+5.

I quote the above figures because I've tried it, and it didn't work. Unless I did something wrong.

---------- Post added 04-21-2016 at 10:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bennyxyz Quote
Thank you! However the camera is now out of warranty so I have to live with individual settings...
Whilst it's out of warranty you could still get it re-calibrated at cost, by sending the body plus a lens to Pentax service.

04-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bennyxyz Quote
However the camera is now out of warranty so I have to live with individual settings...
Your adjustments are all within the range allowed so just go with the lens settings.
04-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I agree. The test is simple though.

Take a lens that needs adjustment, to say, +5 in 'per lens'.

If the AF effect is cumulative then if you now re-set that lens to -5 in 'per lens', then set 'global' to +10, the net effect should be a lens in perfect focus, as the 10-5 =+5.

I quote the above figures because I've tried it, and it didn't work. Unless I did something wrong.

---------- Post added 04-21-2016 at 10:02 AM ----------

Whilst it's out of warranty you could still get it re-calibrated at cost, by sending the body plus a lens to Pentax service.
I'll give it a test on my K20, since I am perfectly happy with my K3 & K5.

I'll find the per lens value of one lens, reset everything, put half the value in the global and half in the per lens, then recheck.

The K3 & K5 may not behave the same way, but I'll know about the K20.