Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Brand new K-S2 and manual lenses

Hi all,

Just bought a K-S2! This is a huge step up from my *ist DS!

Using my *ist DS, I had changed settings to "permit aperture ring although position is set to other than A".

I had done this because I have some old school Super-Multi-Coated Takumars, and was simply told to make this change in order to use these lenses. I don't really know why I had to.

With the K-S2 I was told to make the same customization as well as "changing the 'action in m/TAv mode' to TV Shift".

This information was from this link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

My question:
What do these settings actually do?
What do these changes actually inhibit me from doing?
Obviously these changes are going against what would be considered default and the defaults were probably the most commonly used. So if I am making these changes - what am I missing out on?

Thanks everyone!

04-20-2016, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When using lenses without the 'A' contact pin, (anything older than the Pentax-A series) modern cameras have no way to determine what aperture the lens is set at. The setting in the menu allows the camera to work without being able to read the lens. You need to use stop down metering as described in the article you linked to.
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Obviously these changes are going against what would be considered default and the defaults were probably the most commonly used. So if I am making these changes - what am I missing out on?
No one has ever found any reason for this setting as the camera will work just fine with all lenses when it is set to on. Standard recommendation is to set it to on and forget it. It seems to mostly have the benefit of getting new members for this forum as new users have to join here to ask how to use that setting
04-20-2016, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
What do these settings actually do? What do these changes actually inhibit me from doing? Obviously these changes are going against what would be considered default and the defaults were probably the most commonly used. So if I am making these changes - what am I missing out on?
The Tv shift option just tells the camera to only change the shutter speed setting when you press the green button in M or TAv mode, rather than potentially changing both the shutter speed and aperture.

Green button customization wasn't there on the *ist DS, hence the new setting.

Congrats on getting the K-S2. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-21-2016, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No one has ever found any reason for this setting as the camera will work just fine with all lenses when it is set to on. Standard recommendation is to set it to on and forget it. It seems to mostly have the benefit of getting new members for this forum as new users have to join here to ask how to use that setting
I believe the reason for this setting is to avoid confusion when using modern lenses with aperture ring. To avoid the user from using aperture in other position than 'A'. And also to make sure the user read the manual to understand the limitations when using aperture ring.

04-21-2016, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I've always assumed that it was to prevent inadvertent poor exposures when using a non 'A' type lens, when the unwary new user first tries it. The result is the camera locks and won't take the picture.

And Jatrax is right ..... then the photographer searches the web and gets a link to this forum, joins up and asks the question.

I agree, there doesn't seem to be any reason to leave the setting on the default unless you never use non A type lenses.