Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 01:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Flat greens

Hi all.
I'm sorry for the dumb question I'm asking but I need some help to understand. Looking at some landscape pictures I've taken with different lenses (DA 17-70 and K 55 f/2) I realize that DA 17-70 seem to flat the greens areas to a strain of pale green without detail. The 55 f/2 renders leaves and trees with much more detail and more real and differenced green tones. This doesn't happen in pictures representing closer scenes , where the green tones of the 17-70 are brilliant and accurate. This happens in all light situation. I've found the IQ of DA 17-70 to be from good to very good so I'm wondering if this a odd behaviour of the lens or just a negative aspect of some modern lens design (compared to K55) that brings more contrast. Oh... and the same happens with 20 f/4 (also in lanscape - distant scenes).
Now the question. Is this a common issue to take count of in digital or it's just simple difference between lenses (i.e. zoom lens design compared to prime lenses) ? And, what is the cause of that (i.e. Am I missing something in PP?)
Thanks in advance. Best regards. Matteo

04-21-2016, 02:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you post some examples straight of our camera?

In this day an age colors are mainly determined by the camera. The lens just has the potential to fool the camera's metering and white balance systems, and to darken corners or introduce aberrations that can negatively affect colors. Post-processing, either using in-camera tools or desktop software, can effectively counter this.

If you're shooting in JPEG, do you have lens corrections enabled?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-21-2016, 02:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here some pics taken with 55 f/1.8 and DA17-70. They're PP from RAW then resized. Sorry, I'll search my ext HDrives ho find original RAW files.

Last edited by bm75; 12-24-2016 at 06:32 PM.
04-21-2016, 02:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The contrast is less on your second image, and this has lightened the blue and green tones and the reduced shadows. It may be that the prime lens used in the first was a bit more contrasty to start with, but to me these differences look like processing matters. I think you could get both shots very similar it you wanted with RAW processing. It may be that your RAW software is applying a profile to the DA lens which it cannot with the old prime ...?

04-21-2016, 03:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This example exemplifies the benefit of having software like Photoshop. Using masks you can selectively lighten the shadows (trees) without impacting the well metered mountain and snow. The detail is there, you just have to 'find' it.

With regards to the 55mm shot, it seems 'over exposed' hence showing more detail in the trees and less in the mountain/ show. Speed up the shutter and you would get a result somewhat similar to the zoom lens. Also, a hood might be wise to use (if you didn't) to improve contrast in the 55mm shot.
04-21-2016, 04:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
Hi all.
I'm sorry for the dumb question I'm asking but I need some help to understand. Looking at some landscape pictures I've taken with different lenses (DA 17-70 and K 55 f/2) I realize that DA 17-70 seem to flat the greens areas to a strain of pale green without detail. The 55 f/2 renders leaves and trees with much more detail and more real and differenced green tones. This doesn't happen in pictures representing closer scenes , where the green tones of the 17-70 are brilliant and accurate. This happens in all light situation. I've found the IQ of DA 17-70 to be from good to very good so I'm wondering if this a odd behaviour of the lens or just a negative aspect of some modern lens design (compared to K55) that brings more contrast. Oh... and the same happens with 20 f/4 (also in lanscape - distant scenes).
Now the question. Is this a common issue to take count of in digital or it's just simple difference between lenses (i.e. zoom lens design compared to prime lenses) ? And, what is the cause of that (i.e. Am I missing something in PP?)
Thanks in advance. Best regards. Matteo
Looks like they were shot at different exposures. The 17-70 is variable and the 55 is a constant F2. The 55 looks to be about 1/3 underexposed and the 17-70 looks about 1/3 overexposed. Try increasing and reducing exposure in ACR and see what the difference is.
04-21-2016, 04:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Looks like I got your shots the wrong way round, based on the order you referred to them in the post. So the zoom is the first one? Ok, so that is the more contrasty, and I agree that you could hold the exposure on the mids and highlights and just bring up the shadows to reveal the trees and give them more colour. To me the white points look very similar on the two so I see it as more of a contrast issue, not exposure value.

04-21-2016, 05:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all.

Lenses are ok so I have to do a better PP and for sure take a class to expand my knowledge of PP (and take care of using the bracketing option when I get pictures..) . Taking these pictures with different lenses was non intended as a real test so that's why I didn't take the right attention on exposing at the same values with both lenses. In fact I realize that the difference between dark areas (trees) and the snow is so much that exposing correctly for highlights involves losing detail in the trees;an hdr or something similar in Photoshop with 2 different exposures would have been a better choice.
Thanks all for your kindness and attention.

Matteo
04-21-2016, 05:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
these images from early 2015, K-5. I see you use RawTherapee, both manual metering with the first one is using pattern metering the second centre weighted, both with manual white balance, what colour space are you using to output the jpg's? It also says in the meta data that, contrast is hard, high saturation and hard sharpness. could there be something going on in original exposure and the post processing?
04-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, you're right.
The images are not recent; some days ago I used exposureplot to evaluate how often I use 20 mm and 55 lens in my pictures and in the findings I've found what I've reported in the first post. And, yes; PP of the images was done long time ago so I have to find the original raw files and do the exp. comparison well explained by the previous post. I'll post the findings. Thank you.
04-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi all. I've found 2 images taken last year with 20 f/4 and da17-70. Just to say that ....I was wrong ! No differences here with greens. Images developed straight from .pef without applying anything then resized , all with PDCU4.

Last edited by bm75; 12-24-2016 at 06:32 PM.
04-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Goodo and as a surprise to all I would give honours to the 20mm lens. Slightly better contrast and less highlight blowout. Sharpness to and appears to be no corner differences. Ahhh the legacy lenses!
04-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The 20 f/4 is a little gem and a pleasure to use. In APSC it's quite versatile too with a natural FOV . but my suspect towards DA 17-70 is still here,,,,those pictures are taken at the "wide" end of the zoom; I suspect that the 17-70 lens performs worse on the tele side