Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #1

K-30: Live-view not on largest aperture

I discovered that my pictures were sharper in live-view than in the taken photo. Now, I have find out that the lenses (I have tested with 2 different AF-lenses in A mode) not are set at the largest aperture in live-view. Is this the case with k-30 or is something wrong?

04-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I see it with my K-30 as well. Not sure if it's the expected behaviour or not, but I expect it is.

I tend to set the FX button to optical preview, and then keep that pressed while I'm manually focusing in live view if DoF is particularly important for the shot. (Since I had a few shots where it chose an aperture that was smaller than my shooting one, and I wound up with the focus being off.)
04-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't have the camera with me. But I remember there is an option in manual, something like "digital preview, or optical preview". digital preview will stop the lens to your setting during LV. -- I might be wrong, but worth a try.
04-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Live view stops the lens down to protect the sensor from an abundance of light. But how can you compare the live view image and a taken image? LVis not at full resolution...

Last edited by Giklab; 08-04-2016 at 12:52 AM.
04-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Live view stops the lens down to protect the sensor from n abundance of light. But how can you compare the live view image and a taken image? LVis not at full reolution...
Yes, I know. But here is live-view very much sharper than the taken image, and I can see with my own eyes that the aperture becomes smaller then I press LV, and that means longer depth of field (more sharp)
04-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hans Carbe Quote
Yes, I know. But here is live-view very much sharper than the taken image, and I can see with my own eyes that the aperture becomes smaller then I press LV, and that means longer depth of field (more sharp)
Did you read what I wrote?
04-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yes, what do you mean?
04-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that what he is saying is that live view is only a VGA image, which can't be used as a basis for evaluating the sharpness of the 16Mp image the camera produces

Also, I believe the camera apply generous PP to the live view output to keep it well-lit and looking clear.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Live view stops the lens down to protect the sensor from n abundance of light.
At least that's supposed to be the official explanation.
04-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think that what he is saying is that live view is only a VGA image, which can't be used as a basis for evaluating the sharpness of the 16Mp image the camera produces

Also, I believe the camera apply generous PP to the live view output to keep it well-lit and looking clear.
If that is the case, itīs too bad. Whatīs the point with live-view if you canīt trust it, ridiculous. I shall upgrade soon. But thanks for your advice anyway.
04-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hans Carbe Quote
If that is the case, itīs too bad. Whatīs the point with live-view if you canīt trust it, ridiculous. I shall upgrade soon. But thanks for your advice anyway.
You can use live view to gauge sharpness by zooming in. When used in that way it's actually way better for fine-tuning the focus than any method.

But if you think about it, live view has a lower limit on the shutter speed (corresponding to the monitor framerate) and it's therefore impossible for it always simulate the exact exposure, let alone a processed output image.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: