Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaphil Quote
Thanks so far guys. If you have any tips for great scenic places, let me know
@bertwert: If you like, go on
ummm... too many to number... lol

On the Island... Pacific Rim National Park - near Tofino / ucluelet (awesome beach!)
MacMillan Bloedel park - near Port Alberni - awesome old growth cedar trees (you'd pass through this on the way to Tofino)
In Cobble hill (my backyard) There is an old wooden railway trestle (Kinsol Trestle) that has been rebuilt (pretty spectacular to photograph) butt a little ways off the main highway
Victoria - a beautiful city to photograph
In Saanich - the Butchart Gardens - amazing gardens...
oh.. and depending on your likes... whale watching... - Can be done out of Victoria, Cowichan Bay, or up north (Telegraph Cove).

On the mainland...
ditto to Stanley park - an amazing urban park - the seawall is an awesome place to walk and photograph
Whistler is north of Vancouver - not in Jasper - but is definitely awesome (but a little expensive to stay at)
Banff / Lake Louise - too many awesome things to count....The mountains are pretty spectacular.

In Calgary - Princes Island park in the middle of the bow river is quite pretty (so is the walk along the bow river itself)
Glenmore park (around the glenmore reservoir) is also quite pretty.

04-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
ummm... too many to number... lol

On the Island... Pacific Rim National Park - near Tofino / ucluelet (awesome beach!)
MacMillan Bloedel park - near Port Alberni - awesome old growth cedar trees (you'd pass through this on the way to Tofino)
In Cobble hill (my backyard) There is an old wooden railway trestle (Kinsol Trestle) that has been rebuilt (pretty spectacular to photograph) butt a little ways off the main highway
Victoria - a beautiful city to photograph
In Saanich - the Butchart Gardens - amazing gardens...
oh.. and depending on your likes... whale watching... - Can be done out of Victoria, Cowichan Bay, or up north (Telegraph Cove).

On the mainland...
ditto to Stanley park - an amazing urban park - the seawall is an awesome place to walk and photograph
Whistler is north of Vancouver - not in Jasper - but is definitely awesome (but a little expensive to stay at)
Banff / Lake Louise - too many awesome things to count....The mountains are pretty spectacular.

In Calgary - Princes Island park in the middle of the bow river is quite pretty (so is the walk along the bow river itself)
Glenmore park (around the glenmore reservoir) is also quite pretty.
Thanks a lot
04-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Have fun while you in Canada.

There are lots of places in Yoho and Banff National parks:
Parks Canada - Banff National Park - b
Parks Canada - Yoho National Park - Maps
04-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The trail through Johnston Canyon up to the Inkpots and back is a great hike, as is the Iceline Trail from laughing Falls in Yoho north of Field. Those are two things i do every time I go out. The Iceline trail needs you to be in good shape however. If memory serves me well, there is a Hostel at the base of the trail for the night before and the night after, although I always took a tent and stayed in the campground.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/johnston-canyon-and-the-ink-pots-banff

Last edited by normhead; 04-22-2016 at 12:24 PM.
04-22-2016, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey everyone,

I am traveling to Canada in 2 weeks and at the moment I'm planning which camera gear I will take with me.
K-3ii, 18-135mm, 16-45mm ist already packed.
Now I am asking myself, if I need a ND or polarizing filter. What do you recommend?

Best regards,
Philipp

PS: If the sectionis wrong, feel free to switch
The predominate daylight brightness, relative humidity, number of sunny and altitude (affecting air clarity) differs radically among the locations you will be visiting. Be prepared for everything from temperate rainforest to near-desert (and everything in between), and elevations ranging from sea level to 7,500 feet above sea level (if you go hiking off the highways).

Vancouver: temperate rain forest climate: an average of 1,153 mm of precipitation per year! Sea level. Dull lighting conditions due heavy overcast (average total number hours of sunshine: 1,938 h), with some exceptions in summer. Air clarity: hazy due to high humidity and low elevation even on sunny days.

Vancouver Island: temperate rain forest, altitude: sea level to several thousand feet, i.e., see Vancouver; except Victoria (Mediterranean climate). Brightness: low. Air clarity: hazy due to high humidity.

Calgary: Semi-arid climate. Therefore the average number of hours with measureable sunshine averages 2,396 h. The mean annual precipitation is only 418 mm (16 inches). Elevation about 3,500 feet above sea level. Lighting conditions: very bright. Air clarity: high due to low relative humidity and high altitude. Because weather systems move from west to east and are forced to climb in altitude to up to 10,000 feet above sea level, those systems dump almost all of their moisture on Vancouver Island and coastal mainland British Columbia, and they dump the rest of their moisture on the mountain ranges to the east. By the time they descend from the mountains onto the high plains around Calgary those weather systems have very low relative humidity. Because of the low levels of precipitation and humidity, and high sunshine levels, the original vegetation around Calgary was limited to short grass species, cactus, with small shrubs (sagebrush and buckbrush) on floodplains, and stunted poplars and willows along watercourses, Around water bodies having no outlet, you will see a white ring of salt because annual evaporation often exceeds precipitation, leaving behind various species of salts (both alkali and saline).

Banff and Jasper: the number of sunny hours, amount of precipitation, brightness, and air clarity is intermediate between Vancouver and Calgary: however altitude is higher: 4,000 feet to >7,000 feet above sea level, so brightness and air clarity is high on sunny days. Banff townsite is about 4,500 feet above sea level. Jasper townsite is similar.
04-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Only thing I have to add: If you go back in fall, pick up an intensifying/enhancing/neodymium filter to use with the polarizer and really bring out the fall foliage.
04-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
Thanks a lot
Almost forgot...
Columbia Icefields (one of the routes from Banff to Jasper goes right past)
Amazing glacier - you can take a cool ride right up on the glacier for some spectacular shots - and the whole drive up has some amazing scenery

04-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another thanks for this information as I will also be going to the Canadian Rockies, going by way of Kelowna and Prince George, then continuing to Glacier and the Black Hills.

For those of you familiar with Jasper and Lake Louise, I am going to be camping there with power only and will most likely need to refill my fresh water tank at some point between those 2 places. Is there a water source where I can do that? I'll have full hookups at Banff and access to water in Prince George. What are the grades like between Prince George and Jasper? If steep I would rather fill up the water tank in Jasper than to carry an extra 300 lbs of water.

Any other suggestions for must-see places, I'm going to have 3 nights in each place. It seems like there's far too many places than what I have time for, but the person who will be with me (not much of a hiker, knee problems) only has 2 weeks.

Since I'm driving, I will bring most of what I own as far as camera stuff (CPs, variety of lenses, tripod, etc.). I love macro, but am not so sure I should take macro rails, wonder if I'll want to take the time to set up.

If you were going on a trip like this, would you want a K-1? Sigh.
04-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm totally speechless. You are all awesome. Thanks for all those tipps.
04-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
If you were going on a trip like this, would you want a K-1? Sigh.
If the trip was in 6 months or a year, maybe. Do you really want to be learning the quirks of a new camera body when you're trying to capture wildlife or whatever?

Nothing like missing that once in a lifetime photo because your finger knows to do X, but on the camera you're using, it's supposed to do Y
04-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norm is correct - I meant Banff P.P and Jasper P.P. Have fun in France, Bert !!

---------- Post added 04-22-16 at 05:57 PM ----------

@MtnGal - PM me and I will give you my phone number. Give me a call when you get to Prince George and we can discuss Pentax and the rest of your trip The grades between Jasper and PG are not steep except for maybe a couple of hills. Most of the big hills are between Jasper and Banff (especially Sunwapta Pass).

Jack
04-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Have fun in France, Bert !!
Word gets around...
04-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@mholford - I was not talking about Whistler, BC. I was talking about Whistlers Mt, Jasper P.P., which is just outside of the town of Jasper. You take a tram up to nearly the top of the mountain and then you can walk to the top if you want. Breathtaking view and you get to see the big Hoary Marmots up close and personal (known as "whistlers" locally due to their shrill alarm call, thus the name of the mountain).
04-22-2016, 11:05 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are the grades like between Prince George and Jasper?
Nothing like Tioga Pass and the elevation is much, much lower. Even Sunwapta Pass between Jasper and Lake Louise is a relatively easy incline without switchbacks. Temperatures are cooler, the biggest driving hazard is wildlife. Watch out for moose between McBride and Prince George, smaller animals between McBride and Jasper. Elk (technically wapiti) and bears have the right of way in Jasper and Banff National Parks, make sure you avoid them as well.
For those of you familiar with Jasper and Lake Louise, I am going to be camping there with power only and will most likely need to refill my fresh water tank at some point between those 2 places
I hope you have confirmed camping spots for your RV, demand in the national parks far outstrips demand. Potable water is available at lots of places along the Icefields Parkway, but you won't be able to hook up a hose, you'll have to fill a pail. There is a service centre at Saskatchewan Crossing, but I don't know what kind of RV services they have. Generally speaking, private development is very restricted inside Canadian national parks and services geared towards travellers in RVs will be somewhat limited.

Are you planning to travel the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier NP? There is a 21 foot restriction for total vehicle length and it will be more challenging to drive than your Canadian itinerary.

As far as camera gear, you definitely want a telephoto zoom long enough for wildlife, but light enough to take on a walk. A tripod is only going to get in the way most of the time, if an animal stands still long enough to set one up, it will draw a crowd of tourists who will be standing between you and it.
04-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Nothing like Tioga Pass and the elevation is much, much lower. Even Sunwapta Pass between Jasper and Lake Louise is a relatively easy incline without switchbacks. Temperatures are cooler, the biggest driving hazard is wildlife. Watch out for moose between McBride and Prince George, smaller animals between McBride and Jasper. Elk (technically wapiti) and bears have the right of way in Jasper and Banff National Parks, make sure you avoid them as well.I hope you have confirmed camping spots for your RV, demand in the national parks far outstrips demand. Potable water is available at lots of places along the Icefields Parkway, but you won't be able to hook up a hose, you'll have to fill a pail. There is a service centre at Saskatchewan Crossing, but I don't know what kind of RV services they have. Generally speaking, private development is very restricted inside Canadian national parks and services geared towards travellers in RVs will be somewhat limited.

Are you planning to travel the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier NP? There is a 21 foot restriction for total vehicle length and it will be more challenging to drive than your Canadian itinerary.

As far as camera gear, you definitely want a telephoto zoom long enough for wildlife, but light enough to take on a walk. A tripod is only going to get in the way most of the time, if an animal stands still long enough to set one up, it will draw a crowd of tourists who will be standing between you and it.
I heard about how tough reservations are in the national parks, and I got one of the last sites in Jasper (power only, hence my question about water) and one of the last 3 sites in Kootenay with full hookups (Redstreak). When I booked I had more choices at Lake Louise and Banff, though I'm sure they are not choice spots. At least I have reservations.

I'm planning on going down through Radium Hot Springs then down 93(?), to get to West Glacier, rowing a trailer across Going To The Sun Road is not my idea of fun. I haven't towed up Tioga Rd, just the western 190 pass into Death Valley and was definitely concerned going up. It bothered me enough that I drove back by going east, a much easier route. Slopes greater than 7% get me worried. 5 - 6% grades are a piece of cake, I just don't go very fast. Going to the Sun will be fun in the Grand Cherokee without the trailer.

I don't see why everyone wants to see bears - they are too clever for their own good and can be such dangerous pests. My thinking could be clouded because one just about totaled a Honda Fit I was in once, didn't kill the bear right off, or at least the CHP couldn't find it when he went back looking for it. I can't tell you how many stories I've heard about the damage bears can do to a house or a car.

I have both the 100-300 f4.7 and the DA*300 which I'll bring, though I'm not entirely sure I'll use the DA all that much, it's pretty heavy to tote along. But it also plays nicely with the 1.7 AFA, which I also have. I do wonder if I should get the 1.4 TC, then I would have true AF.

While I probably won't hike with a tripod, this trip might be a good excuse to get a small, lightweight tripod. RRS has one I keep drooling over. I have a Gitzo Series 2 tripod, but it's too heavy to hike with.

I'll bring the limited lenses, and not use this trip as an excuse to buy the DA 70, the only 1 I don't have. It has never "called my name" - not like all of the other ones. I will bring the 16-50, not sure about the 12-24 or the 10-17.

I hike with a hydration pack and then lens pouches hung on the waist belt - far more comfortable for someone as small as I am. I get strange looks, but it works.

Thanks for all the help and advice.