Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #1

K-50 automatic flash

I think I have it set right but the flash doesn't pop up automatically I have to push the button if I need the flash, what did I do wrong TIA

04-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usually onboard flash will only pop up if light is needed. Otherwise you have to push the button.
04-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by KenK Quote
I think I have it set right but the flash doesn't pop up automatically I have to push the button if I need the flash, what did I do wrong TIA
The flash cannot pop up automatically on the K-50, as it has a mechanical release lever. In other words, it will only (and always) fire when you pop it up yourself.

There are no current Pentax DSLR models with fully auto flash; the last camera that did was the K-r.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I could have swore my K-x did. And I didn't realize none since then pop up auto because everyone I've had since then, I always just push the button. Thanks for the heads up Adam.

04-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I could have swore my K-x did. And I didn't realize none since then pop up auto because everyone I've had since then, I always just push the button. Thanks for the heads up Adam.
The K-x behaves just like the K-r, so yes you're remembering correctly. The K-r came after the K-x, though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-r came after the K-x, though
I had that backwards. I was thinking the K-x came after the K-r. Thanks for confirming I wasn't crazy.
04-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The flash cannot pop up automatically on the K-50, as it has a mechanical release lever. In other words, it will only (and always) fire when you pop it up yourself.
...and that is a good thing! We have always been in some darkened dinner or event when some decides they must have a photo. Camera goes to eye, flash pops up, and everyone is blind. Do any of us want to be that person? Generally not!

Steve

04-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I found it annoying that it popped up on K-x when I didn't want it to do that.
04-26-2016, 04:42 AM   #9

Original Poster

There are no current Pentax DSLR models with fully auto flash; the last camera that did was the K-r.
Okay, I have a K100D and it did on that camera, the wife took the new K-50 on her trip to Europe and it worked great although in 2 pictures she forgot to pop the flash
04-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I recognize that everyone's preferences are different, but like Steve, I so much prefer the manual control of knowing that the flash is not going to suddenly pop up and wash out the photo. When the onboard flash is in use, you would probably want to compose your shot differently, e.g., move people so that they are at a similar distance and hence evenly lit. It just a little different from shooting in natural light.

I set up my Q so that its flash will not fire in the "down" position. (The Q's flash is not covered in the down position, and can be fired both up and down, depending on menu settings.) This gives me direct control over the flash, and assures that I won't get any nasty surprises. It's wonderful that they actually have a menu option for this.

Last weekend I attended my nephew's high school musical, and to my horror, out of the corner of my eye, I saw my dad raise his point-and-shoot camera ... but fortunately, he remembered to disable the flash! Surprised he figured out how to do that. I'm thinking back to so many events, including some sporting events, where flash photography was prohibited, but people either forgot to turn off their flashes, or simply don't know how to.

Just my thoughts, not trying to say the OP is wrong for their own preferences.

Last edited by Tanzer; 04-26-2016 at 11:53 AM.
04-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Except @normhead 's K-3...

Which is another (of the many) advantage of Pentax entry-level DSLRs compared to Canikon ones...
If my camera ever popped up the flash automatically, I would be mad...