Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Forum Member
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 62
Image Sync: K-S2 transfer a DNG, or convert to a JPEG?

Hi everyone,

The Image Sync app can only view JPEGs to transfer to a mobile device.

Is there an on-camera feature that is capable of convert a DNG RAW file into a JPEG, and then view via Image Sync?

Or is there another option?
I guess I could shoot all my images with DNG+JPEG, but I only transfer a very small amount of images...

Thanks for any suggestions!

04-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,215
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Is there an on-camera feature that is capable of convert a DNG RAW file into a JPEG, and then view via Image Sync?
You can develop DNGs into JPEGs in playback mode (up button).

Also, image sync does show raw files- at least it did a year ago!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 200
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can develop DNGs into JPEGs in playback mode (up button).

Also, image sync does show raw files- at least it did a year ago!
now show 1.1.0
04-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #4
Forum Member
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 62
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can develop DNGs into JPEGs in playback mode (up button).

Also, image sync does show raw files- at least it did a year ago!
Sorry, you're right. I should have been more clear.

Image Sync does indeed show Raw files, but it does not transfer Raw files to mobile devices.

Thanks for the information!

04-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 200
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Sorry, you're right. I should have been more clear.

Image Sync does indeed show Raw files, but it does not transfer Raw files to mobile devices.

Thanks for the information!
snapseed can
04-26-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,215
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Image Sync does indeed show Raw files, but it does not transfer Raw files to mobile devices.
Not sure why you'd need that (or do mobile apps already support raw files?), but what happens if you tap on a raw file and hold your finger down? There should be context menu with a download option AFAIK.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
Forum Member
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 62
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not sure why you'd need that (or do mobile apps already support raw files?), but what happens if you tap on a raw file and hold your finger down? There should be context menu with a download option AFAIK.
To further clarify:

I don't need the Raw file for this issue, just the image, and that's why I'm asking about in-camera Raw-to-Jpeg converters. After its converted to jepg in-camera, I can then transfer the image to my mobile.

Also to answer your question, when I hold down my finger on a Raw image, and the contextual wheel pops up, all options are greyed out except the trash can. Whereas, when I popup the contextual wheel for a jpeg I now have the option to send to my mobile, etc.

BUT, good news Adam's suggestion to convert the files does exist in Playback mode! (But it's the down button, for the K-S2 at least). In this menu it has an option to convert from Raw to JPEG!

Problem resolved!!

Thanks!
04-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,609
I have crashed my phone (filled up storage until apps wouldn't run right) accidentally transferring the raw instead of jpeg so it used to do it but I always wished I could filter out the raws when viewing/transferring photos. Maybe it has changed since I last used it? I considered it a bug that with DNGs on Android they look the same as the paired jpeg as a thumbnail and I didn't always choose the right one. I'd really like to set it to only show me the jpegs by default.

04-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Forum Member
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 62
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I have crashed my phone (filled up storage until apps wouldn't run right) accidentally transferring the raw instead of jpeg so it used to do it but I always wished I could filter out the raws when viewing/transferring photos. Maybe it has changed since I last used it? I considered it a bug that with DNGs on Android they look the same as the paired jpeg as a thumbnail and I didn't always choose the right one. I'd really like to set it to only show me the jpegs by default.
It may be with a new update to the app (perhaps check to see if you can update yours), but the app does show both Raw and Jpeg images, but will now only allow transfers of Jpeg and not Raw files. When attempting to transfer Raw files a black box labled "DNG" pops up instead. This feature was probably implemented to avoid the issue you're speaking of.

All the best!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dng, image, jpeg, pentax help, photography, sync, transfer, troubleshooting, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-S2 image sync trouble connecting LarfinGiraffe Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 6 05-27-2016 11:11 AM
First K-S2 image transfer to iPhone using Image Sync Marktax Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 22 02-13-2016 02:57 AM
Convert DNG to JPEG ? Sandmansc Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 11 07-20-2015 10:38 AM
Where/how to convert a K-x or a K20D to IR in Europe? Raffwal Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 02-14-2012 12:55 PM
How on earth do I convert my DNG photos to JPEG? GoldenRGuy Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 10 11-19-2011 07:45 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top