Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

Image Sync: K-S2 transfer a DNG, or convert to a JPEG?

Hi everyone,

The Image Sync app can only view JPEGs to transfer to a mobile device.

Is there an on-camera feature that is capable of convert a DNG RAW file into a JPEG, and then view via Image Sync?

Or is there another option?
I guess I could shoot all my images with DNG+JPEG, but I only transfer a very small amount of images...

Thanks for any suggestions!

04-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Is there an on-camera feature that is capable of convert a DNG RAW file into a JPEG, and then view via Image Sync?
You can develop DNGs into JPEGs in playback mode (up button).

Also, image sync does show raw files- at least it did a year ago!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

now show 1.1.0
04-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster

Sorry, you're right. I should have been more clear.

Image Sync does indeed show Raw files, but it does not transfer Raw files to mobile devices.

Thanks for the information!

04-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #5

Sorry, you're right. I should have been more clear.

Image Sync does indeed show Raw files, but it does not transfer Raw files to mobile devices.

Thanks for the information!
snapseed can
04-26-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure why you'd need that (or do mobile apps already support raw files?), but what happens if you tap on a raw file and hold your finger down? There should be context menu with a download option AFAIK.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not sure why you'd need that (or do mobile apps already support raw files?), but what happens if you tap on a raw file and hold your finger down? There should be context menu with a download option AFAIK.
To further clarify:

I don't need the Raw file for this issue, just the image, and that's why I'm asking about in-camera Raw-to-Jpeg converters. After its converted to jepg in-camera, I can then transfer the image to my mobile.

Also to answer your question, when I hold down my finger on a Raw image, and the contextual wheel pops up, all options are greyed out except the trash can. Whereas, when I popup the contextual wheel for a jpeg I now have the option to send to my mobile, etc.

BUT, good news Adam's suggestion to convert the files does exist in Playback mode! (But it's the down button, for the K-S2 at least). In this menu it has an option to convert from Raw to JPEG!

Problem resolved!!

Thanks!
04-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have crashed my phone (filled up storage until apps wouldn't run right) accidentally transferring the raw instead of jpeg so it used to do it but I always wished I could filter out the raws when viewing/transferring photos. Maybe it has changed since I last used it? I considered it a bug that with DNGs on Android they look the same as the paired jpeg as a thumbnail and I didn't always choose the right one. I'd really like to set it to only show me the jpegs by default.

04-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I have crashed my phone (filled up storage until apps wouldn't run right) accidentally transferring the raw instead of jpeg so it used to do it but I always wished I could filter out the raws when viewing/transferring photos. Maybe it has changed since I last used it? I considered it a bug that with DNGs on Android they look the same as the paired jpeg as a thumbnail and I didn't always choose the right one. I'd really like to set it to only show me the jpegs by default.
It may be with a new update to the app (perhaps check to see if you can update yours), but the app does show both Raw and Jpeg images, but will now only allow transfers of Jpeg and not Raw files. When attempting to transfer Raw files a black box labled "DNG" pops up instead. This feature was probably implemented to avoid the issue you're speaking of.

All the best!