Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 12:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
recurring problem with pentax K30

firstly I wanted to say hi and thanks for the welcome
my problem is with my camera, there seems to be a short circuit within the camera
by that I mean. The battery show it's almost empty, when I have barely taken maybe
100 photos. I have had it sent away and it was tested, returned and they said there wasn't
a problem. I think it is a problem with one of the circuits, does anyone have any ideas at all
I would be greatful for any input.
cheers
clangrant:

05-03-2016, 01:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried a different battery? If you're still using the original battery that came with the camera when it was new, chances are it's reaching the end of its service life.

Also, are you using a manual lens? Certain lenses (mainly M42) do cause electrical problems; the solution is to isolate the contacts on the camera mount.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-03-2016, 01:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clangrant Quote
my problem is with my camera, there seems to be a short circuit within the camera
by that I mean. The battery show it's almost empty, when I have barely taken maybe
100 photos. I have had it sent away and it was tested, returned and they said there wasn't
a problem. I think it is a problem with one of the circuits, does anyone have any ideas at all
cheers
clangrant:
I have heard of this issue with the K-30. My question is: What type of batteries are you using? Are they re-chargeable, disposable and what is the voltage or AmH?
Let us know. I don't believe the circuits are fried. If that were the case, you would not have gotten off 100 shots or even one. If you are using AA Alkaline Batteries, you will get only approximately 80 to 90 shots and that is without using the onboard flash. (Which is a battery killer on its own). Make sure to clean the battery terminals and the terminals in the battery chamber as well. Make sure you do not touch the battery terminals as acid from our skin can cause interference with an otherwise good contact.

Let us know. Thanks for the question. Also, how many clicks on your camera and how old is it?

Tonytee
05-03-2016, 03:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had this happen one time on my K-30 and thought that it might have been bad contacts within the camera. I used a cotton swab with alcohol and cleaned off the internal contacts and also the AA adapter since I use them most often and since that time, maybe a year ago, I have never had a problem.

05-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clangrant Quote
cheers
clangrant:
Hi Adam,
I was having trouble with it after about 8 months, camera bought from teds camera store. The sent it to Melbourne
it came back, they couldn't find a problem with it. Yes I tried the battery on a different camera in store. wasn't the problem
could be that I do use manual lens will just have to try a few things and try and isolate the problem. Thanks for your input
cheers
clangrant

---------- Post added 05-03-16 at 01:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I have heard of this issue with the K-30. My question is: What type of batteries are you using? Are they re-chargeable, disposable and what is the voltage or AmH?
Let us know. I don't believe the circuits are fried. If that were the case, you would not have gotten off 100 shots or even one. If you are using AA Alkaline Batteries, you will get only approximately 80 to 90 shots and that is without using the onboard flash. (Which is a battery killer on its own). Make sure to clean the battery terminals and the terminals in the battery chamber as well. Make sure you do not touch the battery terminals as acid from our skin can cause interference with an otherwise good contact.

Let us know. Thanks for the question. Also, how many clicks on your camera and how old is it?

Tonytee
Hi Jim.
I have had the camera about 2 years, and I use the camera's own battery. So yes it's recharged might try that and see how I go
thanks for your help.
cheers
clangrant