Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 04:47 AM   #1

k3 II stops ?

Hi,
I purchased a brand new K3II few weeks ago.
The history :
-1 I received my K3II, when I tried to initialized the body (hour, date) it shutdowns : battery full discharged (I know, I know. At first you have to charge the battery. But it's the first electronic's item I purchased with a battery completly discharged.
-2 I charged the battery, take around 100 pictures, and keep the boddy plugged (gps on) during I explored the manuel 2 or 3 hours maximum.I forgot the K3II in his bag for 2/3 weeks. some picture. I can't take one. The autofocus run 5 sec and the boddy stops battery fully discharged.
-3 almost same thing. I made around 250 shots, keep the boddy in his suitcase and when I want to use it, the battery was really discharged (one bar on the display)

Anyway, I put the battery of my K7 inside the K3II (I'm sure it's good) and leave the boddy as this : gps on but K3II off.
I think the best way it's to wait for a couple of weeks and see what's happened. If the battery is down too that means that the K3II never stops completly and continue to need energy. On my K7, I left for months sometime, the boddy off with the battery indisde and get hundred of shots without charging anything.

An idea ? Gps ?

05-06-2016, 04:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aboulafia Quote
An idea ? Gps ?
Did you enable track logging? That will drain your battery even when the camera is off, but it would be in a matter of days, not weeks. I'd keep the GPS off unless you need it.

Also, be sure to check that your serial number doesn't fall within the service advisory range:
Pentax K-3 II Review - Service Advisory | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
I asked to Ricoh.
Answer : when you put your camera off, all the functions are off, no matter what you are using before. It can be a battery problem or a camera problem.
I swap the battery of my K7 and K3 II. Like this I'll find it's a camera failure or battery failure.
Answer in few weeks...
05-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I always take my battery out of my camera when I am not using it. I also charge the batteries (3) that I have preceding each time I use camera(s) to shoot. When I have used GPS I have noticed that more power is consumed than when not using GPS.

06-06-2016, 04:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
After switching the batteries from my K7 and K3II, I got the same result. K7 "off" non problem but on my K3II "off" the battery is mosly down after a month. Off course, removing the battery solve the problem but how long you can leave the K3II without battery and not loosing your settings and the initial body settings like : date, hour, copywright etc. ?
06-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

My K-3II retains settings I save to User modes, TAV, Manual, etc., if I take the battery out or not. I would not leave a battery in my camera after a shoot for a long period.
06-08-2016, 03:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for this information. It can be a workaround. I'm in touch with Ricoh, I'll see what's happened

06-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have had four Pentax dslr's with lithium batteries, K10, K20, K5 and K3 II and have never left them without the batteries fitted. The only drain is the clock which is not much. The camera settings and firmware are probably on something like an eeprom powered by a capacitor which lasts for years independent of battery power. There has been a recall of the K3 II, something to do with the switch though.
08-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #9

Original Poster
Ok after months of investigation and bad informations from Pentax in my own country, the result is :
You HAVE TO put off the gps before stopping the camera. Like this it's ok, otherwise the camera continue to drain the battery and after a month your battery will be flat.
Enjoy.