Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frustrated with Pentax flash (Rant)

I have been with pentax for a long time I have grown with pentax in my photography and really want to stay a pentaxian but like everything in life you outgrow things because they cant keep up. I need off camera high speed sync for bird photography. I have purchased everything I was supposed to need to be able to do that with a pentax k-5 and guess what I cant make it work. cannon does it, nikon does it, sony does it, but pentax cant figure it out ??

Last edited by Parallax; 05-06-2016 at 02:13 PM.
05-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some details of the problem you're having would be helpful. something a bit more specific than:
QuoteOriginally posted by BAKrueger Quote
I cant make it work
cannon does it, nikon does it, sony does it, but pentax cant figure it out ??
Are you absolutely certain that it's Pentax that can't figure it out?
05-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Have you read about the priolite system? Sounds like exactly what you might need.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I bought a af 360 which will trigger HSS all day on the camera I need the flash off the camera because I get showding in my pics due to a 500mm lens. So I bought a cable and the camera/flash default back to 1/180 when I turn on the flash using the cable. I want HSS 1/1000 with flash. I don't have any more money in my budget. The directions are incomplete I have reasearched this problem for days and I am lost this should not be this hard in 2016?

05-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So I bought a cable
What kind of cable?
05-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Should work just fine as long as you got the Pentax cable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I use Vello OCS-P3 and works with HSS on a K5 and Metz48 flash: Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3') OCS-P3
I've since modified it to take Ethernet cable and tried it with a 50ft CAT-5e and still got HSS no problems.

As with victormeldrew replied, what cable did you buy?

05-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I need the flash off the camera because I get showding in my pics due to a 500mm lens.
You need to buy a P-TTL hotshoe extension cable, not any old hot shoe cable.
I have a cheap $20 JJC one and it works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/JJC-P-TTL-Camera-Flash-PENTAX/dp/B0086UUVU0/ref=sr_1_1...rds=jjc+pentax

I am also not clear why you need to use HSS. For long lens telephoto flash, you would be better off simply using a Better Beamer (or similar), as discussed here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/320077...ird-photo.html
05-06-2016, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
BAKrueger, instead of a rant you could have asked here, and people could have suggested a P-TTL capable cable or an Acon R930 wireless trigger.

I use both those things and HSS is fine either way, flash handheld like Bill Cunningham does or on a distant tripod.

"I have reasearched this problem for days". Then you're not very good at it. I wouldn't hire you.
05-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
osv
Veteran Member

I bought a af 360 which will trigger HSS all day on the camera I need the flash off the camera because I get showding in my pics due to a 500mm lens. So I bought a cable and the camera/flash default back to 1/180 when I turn on the flash using the cable. I want HSS 1/1000 with flash. I don't have any more money in my budget. The directions are incomplete I have reasearched this problem for days and I am lost this should not be this hard in 2016?
i had remote hss years ago on a k10d; two flashes hardwired with a third flash optically triggered, it was a pair of 540fgz flashes and a sigma ef-500 dg super, it definitely works if you have the right cables.

does hss work when the flash is mounted to the camera, without the cable? the only change you make is adding the cable?
05-06-2016, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have reasearched this problem for days and I am lost
The idea of doing research is to prevent oneself from being lost, but you have done research and become lost as a result of it, Impressive.

I bought a af 360 which will trigger HSS all day on the camera I need the flash off the camera because I get showding in my pics due to a 500mm lens.
The AF360 is not viable for HSS with a 500mm lens as the power reduction really cripples the range of that flash. An AF540FGZ would have been a more sensible choice as it has better range in HSS mode.

Pentax K10D - Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG + wireless AF540FGZ with Honl 1/4 CTO gel filter
05-06-2016, 10:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

BAKrueger, I'm interested to know what sort of flash to subject distance you would be using for this,... Also is the flash near the camera?
05-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
what sort of flash to subject distance you would be using for this
A 500mm lens was mentioned by the OP's 2nd post. So I guess quite a distance.
05-07-2016, 12:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A 500mm lens was mentioned by the OP's 2nd post. So I guess quite a distance.
I wouldn't be so sure, the MFD of the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 is 4m.
05-08-2016, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I apologize to Pentax and all of you for my (RANT)!! I don't have the optimum equipment to perform the task I want to, thats on me. I have learned what I need buy reading your replies to my post. I looked everywhere but here. I will use this forum regularly from now on so that I my stay a pentaxian.

I have ordered the correct cord and will save up for a used af 540 flash gun