Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 output colours are all over the map???

My K3 has something going on. I am shooting aperture priority, auto white balance and the colours showing up in the camera view screen as well as when I download the files into Mac Aperture are as shown in the screen dump shown here. I am shooting in raw format. What is really odd is when I actually open the file then the colours are normal. I have tried a couple of different lenses - these are take with Sigma 500 but the same thing is happening with my FA85.

The first photo shows the variations before the files are opened 2624 to 2627 are a four shot burst, the second shows a single unopened shot and the third shows the file after it is opened. Any ideas out there?

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
My K3 has something going on. I am shooting aperture priority, auto white balance and the colours showing up in the camera view screen as well as when I download the files into Mac Aperture are as shown in the screen dump shown here. I am shooting in raw format. What is really odd is when I actually open the file then the colours are normal. I have tried a couple of different lenses - these are take with Sigma 500 but the same thing is happening with my FA85.

The first photo shows the variations before the files are opened 2624 to 2627 are a four shot burst, the second shows a single unopened shot and the third shows the file after it is opened. Any ideas out there?
Turn off the Cross Processing image style
05-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The classic cross processing pitfall! You can fix this my going into the custom image menu and selecting a normal profile. I'm really not sure why cross processing isn't under digital filters instead of being a primary color mode...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

The preview thumbnail is often the (embedded) thumbnail JPEG extracted from the RAW file. It will reflect the camera's JPEG settings including "custom" image settings such as cross-processing. The processed RAW data, on the other hand, usually reflect the default profile for the RAW converter which usually ignores the "cross-process" hint in the image metadata. That is why the last image in your examples looks normal.

Steve

05-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

On a related topic is there a process to get the embedded image out of the RAW file if I haven't set it to save to a separate card (K3 user) ?
05-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
On a related topic is there a process to get the embedded image out of the RAW file if I haven't set it to save to a separate card (K3 user) ?
No, and even if you could you really wouldn't want to, the embedded JPG is heavily compressed. You would be better off doing a RAW> JPG conversion in camera.
05-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Turn off the Cross Processing image style
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The classic cross processing pitfall!
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is why the last image in your examples looks normal.
Hey Thanks a lot all of you - for the life of me I don't know how I did this - thought I was going to have to break down and by a K1
05-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
No, and even if you could you really wouldn't want to, the embedded JPG is heavily compressed. You would be better off doing a RAW> JPG conversion in camera.
Thank you for that quick response - I was doing some in camera HDR images last night but record format was set to RAW only. The embedded images look interesting but the downloaded images are straight RAW - so with two screens I have the preview showing in one screen using Pentax Camera Utility and the RAW in ACR on the other screen and I try to reprocess the RAW to achieve the result in the preview. Stupid work around. Next time I am playing I will set RAW plus JPEG.

05-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks a lot all of you - for the life of me I don't know how I did this
It happens. Once I was shooting an event with another brand of camera, and during a lull in the action I decided to review the shots I'd taken during the last hour or so. I was shocked to see on playback that all the images were apparently recorded in monochrome. It took me an uncomfortable 5 minutes diving through an unfamiliar menu system to figure out what was happening, and then find the 'Picture Control' setting responsible for crafting the monochrome JPEG previews I was seeing on screen. Luckily I was shooting RAW, so no permanent damage was done.

I never did figure out how I managed to accidentally change the setting.
05-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Yes...It can be done from the command line using dcraw and/or (IIRC) ExifTool. I have done it, but don't remember the command options.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-07-2016 at 09:28 AM.