Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #16
Site Supporter

To see if a remote-control is working, get your (cheap) mobile phone with camera out.
Use the camera to make a movie for example and you can see the waves coming from the remote (yes, it is that easy), especially in low-lit situations. Just point the eye to the camera of this mobile.
Do a check with at least a meter distance and you know if it would be enough. if the mobile-phone doesn't pick it up, probably the K-x doesn't work and you have to get new batteries for example. Sometimes temperature and other influences interact. no other IR-sources (or disturbing heat-sources) around? Turn the lights off and look with your mobile phone pointing in multiple directions.

As written, the camera has to be 'in focus' so just put it on 'MF' to make sure and put the shutter-setting on the remote-setting in the body, just keep it on auto for the tests. If it works then it should be oké.
If thers any obstruction it will not work so make sure the window on the body is clean too.

05-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #17

Original Poster
Well here I am back again. The results are:
1. Using the phone camera to verify the remote works. That was cool and I didn't know that.
2. The remote is emitting light
3. My camera is in remote mode (not 3 second delay)
4. The red light is blinking on the right front of the camera (which the manual says is where the sensor is
5. The remote works, the camera does not work with the remote.
6. I had replaced the battery in the remote
7. Tried remote in bulb- nothing
8. tried at a shutter speed (also manual) nothing
9. AF is OFF. (saw that too )
10. Oh and I'm in front of the camera aiming at the remote sensor from close, far, up, down blah blah etc
(I now believe I have ruled out all user error issues)
I believe the camera is the issue, not the user, not the remote. It's never been tried and this camera's 5 years old.
DRAT
Since the KX has no cable release and only the usb port. Are there any wired remotes or am I basically SOL.
What is the next body up from the KX. I only shoot in manual anyway and the fact that the AF switch is now intermittently not working may be giving me a hint of upcoming issues.

I'm working around it, but quite annoying. Barring any of you with something else I believe I've ruled out 100% of the troubleshooting and user errors possible. Considering that I was starting to get into long exposures this is as noted vexing

---------- Post added 05-20-16 at 06:36 PM ----------

In terms of testing remotes, you are a genius. I'm still SOL but it's much more comforting knowing I've confirmed the remote is emitting.
05-20-2016, 11:01 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear it's not working. The K-r came after the K-x, and is quite similar. There are newer, better models such as the K-30 and K-50.

Just a note, the KX is a Pentax film camera from the 70s.
05-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the Pentax remote control F which was supposed to be brand new according to the seller but wasn't able to ever get ot to work. changed battery etc.

Randy

05-22-2016, 04:05 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Just a note, the KX is a Pentax film camera from the 70s.
Well, I think the KX is a very good solution to make long-exposure shots anyway!
With a wire-remote (mechanical!) you can take exposures up to hours or even days without having to worry about empty batteries, noise and so on.
Just scan the film afterwards.
I use a ME-super for this mostly, set it in 'B' and time it.
For the right time, you can do a test-shot with the K-x and recalculate the time needed for the exposure.
There are even apps for this recalulation for mobile phones...
05-23-2016, 06:11 AM   #21

Original Poster
K-X not KX, the one discontinued about 4ish years ago

ok K-X... yep if the darned thing was film I'd just use a cable release

---------- Post added 05-23-16 at 06:12 AM ----------

KX k-x... sheesh it's as bad as the way Microsoft names operating systems
05-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Try turning off Catch-in focus:

I have both JYC remote and Remote-F, still running on the original batteries since 2010. They worked with K-x and they work with K-30.
Now there are few things to check on K-x:
1) Catch-in focus: off
2) AF with remote: off

Last edited by ultraviolet; 05-23-2016 at 01:50 PM.
05-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
Very easy way to check the remote.
Get any camera phone, turn it on. Point the remote into it, press the button, look to see if you see a light. If not, that's your problem.
Good luck.

05-25-2016, 06:18 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Very easy way to check the remote.
Get any camera phone, turn it on. Point the remote into it, press the button, look to see if you see a light. If not, that's your problem.
Good luck.
Sigh, thank you but I had checked with a phone. The remote is emitting. Auto focus was turned off. I thought I had noted that in my longer post. I do think that checking the remote with a phone is rather neat.
At this point I've moved on. It's not me the operator, it's the camera. No one sells Pentax in Rochester, NY and I"m not going to waste more money trying to find an IR remote. When the Pentax remote for this camera didn't work at that point I said I'm wasting my time.