Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Pentax KX two remotes neither work? (operator or the remote?)

I bought two different remotes for my KX (the first at $7) and the 2nd at $25. I have the camera in remote mode, the red light is blinking and I have the camera sitting on my desk facing me. The 2nd remote is the teeny tiny pentax remote control F. I have the exposure on manual/bulb mode

On the pentax remote I'm pointing it at the red flashing light hitting the button and nothing.
On the JJC RM-E7 I was hitting the S button. After failing a few times I double checked including the options menu. I'm expecting a shutter click well. SOMETHING.

(so I'm frustrated... this is the first time I've tried a remote since this camera doesn't have a cable release. (which would have been the easy answer) Two remotes? I've checked with a voltmeter the batteries both work.

I'd love for this to be operator error I'm easy to fix. but I'm taking an outdoor night class and without a remote I'll survive with my tripod but it would be a whole LOT easier with a remote.

05-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have 3 remotes...1 works consistently, 1 sometimes, 1 none at all even with all new batteries but they are all cheapos
sorry for frustration
05-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assume you mean the k-x not the KX. Are you pointing the remote at the front or back of the camera? If I remember right the k-x has a receiver on the front only.
05-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I had a remote that worked faultlessly. Then, after only about 2 months, it would not work at all. Check the remote batteries. That cured my problem.

05-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Check your manual, I don't believe you can use a remote in Bulb mode.
05-07-2016, 12:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I have 2x Pentax C + 1x Pentax F , had them for years, never changed batteries.
All did work with Kx ( do not have it any more) , all do work with all my Pentax bodies.
Usually I have on 3sec, just tried with K-5IIs , it works in M and B modes ( you press it once to open the shuttle , second time to close it.)
Can not remember how was it on Kx, you must be doing something wrong.
kind regards
jack
05-07-2016, 04:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
LOL, well it's k-x i.e. the discontinued model. I checked the batteries with a voltmeter so they're good (frankly I was hoping they weren't that'd be easy)
Yes on the front for the sensor.
05-07-2016, 04:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
LOL, oh probably it's me, but with two remotes but I can't figure out what it is. I tried in manual, tried in bulb. I normally figure if it's two remotes it's me but what the heck that might be I have no frigging clue.

05-07-2016, 04:59 AM   #9

Original Poster
Interesting since bulb mode was my main reason for wanting a remote since this has no cable release plugin via the shutter release. I did try at a specific shutter speed and I'm getting nothing. For giggles I tried in 3 sec delay and just remote and nothing. I see nothing from the remotes in terms of light so it's darned hard to tell if they ARE doing anything. (probably the curse of infrafred ya can't see it)

So if it's me I have no clue how to proceed. I have no "known good" remote to test with so I can't make the fundamental troubleshooting step of being 100% sure it's not the equipment. (yes I suspect it's me but if I don't know what to do I'm kind of SOL)
05-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #10

Checking batteries should always be done under load, as they can have high nominal voltage, but fail as soon as you ask them to do some work. Easiest solution: try a couple of brand new batteries of a reputable brand and well within its use-by date.
05-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #11

Original Poster
Great idea on the batteries, yep voltmeter says voltage but... . I'm also going to see with two people I know with different dslr's and see if they've had more experience with a remote. Biggest problem (aside from me, the user) is I have no "known good" to experiment with. The variables are:
1. Me, the user (remember folks that I put myself first... LOL )
2. remote/ batteries, frequency etc
3. the camera
If I can find someone with a camera and a working remote than I have a "known good" to check with. (including the user who if they've made it work is a "known good" variable.
05-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a couple ideas, hopefully they help. I don't have the K-x, but on my K10D I've adjusted the settings to allow the camera to work with remotes in the way I want it to.

The typical default setting for Pentax cameras is to not allow the shutter to fire if focus has not been achieved. This is my first idea. Your camera hasn't locked focus, given the green hexagon to indicate the subject is in focus, so the remote won't trip the shutter. In the camera menu you should be able to fix this with either of two settings. One, allow the camera to take an exposure whether the subject is in or out of focus. Two, another setting should allow you to tell the camera to focus first before taking the exposure with a remote.

I switch between the two modes depending on what I'm shooting with my camera.

You should be able to use a remote in bulb mode, but this may require another setting being adjusted.
05-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh, I thought I'd also point out the working distance of most infrared remotes. You have to be pretty close to the camera. The K-x manual says it's about 4 m in front of the camera, but I find I have to be within about 10 feet for mine to work.

While looking up this in the manual, it also says this on the same page, regarding my earlier post above:
QuoteQuote:
By default, you cannot adjust the focus with the remote control unit. Focus on the subject first with the camera before operating with the remote control.
When [11. AF with Remote Control] is set to [On] in the [C Custom Setting 2] menu (p.81), you can use the remote control unit to adjust the focus.
Take a look at page 83 in the manual, C2 setting 12 shows how to use the remote in bulb mode. Also, the manual indicates there is only a remote sensor on the front of the camera, not the back.
05-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

you can do simple test, I just took my Pentax Q with 01 lens, went to the dark area of the house, pointed TV infrared remote into the lens, wow! bright red ( so can see infrared) , then I took Pentax C remote , pointed into the lens, could see orange light ( much less powerful than TV IR).
Pentax MX-1 can see infrared clearly.
then took my iPhone 5 , the front camera can see it, the rear can not
good luck
05-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Years ago, I was in exactly the same situation as the OP.

I found out that both new cheap chinese remotes were not working by pointing them to my IR remote extender.
These extenders receive any IR signal, translate it to voltage pulses, and send it wireless; the remote receiver then duplicates the original IR signal.
As these systems handle any kind of remote IR signals, they usually show a control light whenever they detect a digital IR signal they can handle.

Ask friends or neighbours whether anyone owns such a system. In my country, many people are using these to control a device (satelite receiver, dvd player, etc.) from every room in a house, if TV sets are connected by antenna cables.