Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Flash not firing on K30

This just started a few months ago and has gotten increasingly worse over time, now I'm just frustrated with it.
For whatever reason, the flash is not (usually not) firing when the camera is set to AUTO - TTL mode. It doesn't matter what flash I'm using, the onboard pop up or the shoe mounted Sigma EF-610 DG. It doesn't matter what lens I'm using either, it just won't fire 90% of the time. It gives every indication that it is ready to go, but when you pull the trigger nothing happens... except that the view screen on the back of the camera also goes black and stays that way until you touch the trigger again. If I set the camera to a manual mode (anything other than AUTO) everything seems to be working, although I haven't given it a proper test period.
Another weird thing... if I set the ISO to 100 it works fine every time. Anything higher than 100 however, and it's a no go, regardless of lighting conditions.
At first, it was only giving me trouble with the original18-55 WR kit lens mounted on the camera, but now it doesn't want to work with any of them. Anyone ever have this issue before?
First time in 45+ years of shooting that I've ever had a problem with a Pentax...

P.S.: I have downloaded and successfully installed the latest firmware.

Last edited by Fastback67; 05-08-2016 at 05:03 PM.
05-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

clean contacts all around is all I got........
05-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had a popup flash die on my first K30. First started working intermittently then completely stopped functioning. I was using it a lot to trigger other off camera flashes. It was replaced with another K30 under warranty through KEH, and since then I just bought wireless triggers and save the popup flash for when I really need it.

Last edited by stillshot2; 05-08-2016 at 08:09 PM.
05-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Never did get this one sorted out... The flash works flawlessly in every camera mode except AUTO???
I guess the world may never know...

05-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

#1) Have you tried resetting the camera?

#2) Not a K-30, but I had a flash issue with my K-3. Sent it in for repair. Came back with all new innards and a new build date and actuation count.
05-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
#1) Have you tried resetting the camera?

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware, but that's about it... this also did nothing to improve the situation.
I cleaned all of the contacts as well, but again, no improvement.