Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #1

My K-5 suddenly don´t take as colourful pictures as before.

The pictures is grey and dull and when I check the RGB histogram it shows almoust no red. I have not make any changes in the menues so what can have happened? Can I try to reinstall the latest firmware or make a reset to the fabric settings?

05-09-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jan Jangsäter Quote
The pictures is grey and dull and when I check the RGB histogram it shows almoust no red. I have not make any changes in the menues so what can have happened? Can I try to reinstall the latest firmware or make a reset to the fabric settings?
What is your image style set to?
05-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check your custom image settings- did you inadvertently switched to a different mode?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Did you somehow set the color space to Adobe RGB (instead of sRGB)?

05-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mechmike10 Quote
Did you somehow set the color space to Adobe RGB (instead of sRGB)?
I thought Adobe RGB was a wider colorspace than old sRGB ?
05-10-2016, 03:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My guess is that you had your jpeg image profile set to Bright and switched it to Muted by accident (or something like that). If you are shooting RAW, it won't actually make a difference in the final image, but just in what the camera displays on the screen. If you shoot jpeg, it definitely does make a difference though.
05-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Two things that have led to that... accidentally (not sure how, thus the accident) changing the image style. I always end up in the same style "low saturation, high contrast".

The other problem I had once was that I somehow accidentally set a custom white balance. I was in Utah, so apparently I had knocked a button and metered on the red in the rocks.

Ultimately, the fact I shoot in RAW saved the day. In each case, it took me quite a while to figure out what I did wrong. I accidentally change the image style enough that I know now.

05-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
What is your image style set to?
I have standard settings and they still are.
05-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Post an example and let's have a look at the exif data.

Regards,
--Anders.
05-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It happened to me once when I changed the white balance and did not notice. I though I was moving my focus point but accidently changed the WB instead. Check EVERYTHING ! ! !
05-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #11

Original Poster
These pictures is before and after the changes. (It was not a brilliant picture before but it did not get better :-))
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #12

It looks too me with just the images to go by that your shooting in multi exposure mode.I looks like the same location in both pictures but with different exposures...go into your menu to see if it's on.
05-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #13

Original Poster
Yes the multi exposure mode is on. But how do you mean it effects the picture?
05-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #14

Original Poster
I think i know what has happened. But how is a riddle because i have not touched anything. Somehow the image settings turned to Bleach Bypass. A bit embarrassing actually. Thank you all for your support!
05-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan Jangsäter Quote
I think i know what has happened. But how is a riddle because i have not touched anything. Somehow the image settings turned to Bleach Bypass. A bit embarrassing actually. Thank you all for your support!
It is easy, when trying to use the 4 way controller to select AF points, to accidentally enter the image settings menu and screw things up quite a bit. The double purposing of that controller is my only beef with the Pentax DSLR layout/controls.