Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Live use on landscapes

I've tend to use the viewfinder exclusively rather than Live View for my landscape shots. I take time to compose, use a tripod, sometimes I use autofocus, sometimes I manual focus (using the Pentax eyepiece) etc., and this way the viewfinder works fine for me. Yet, there's a niggly doubt in my mind that I'm missing something by not using LV...

I've so far failed to get LV's point for the shots I take, thinking that it will consume much more battery and I will struggle to see the image properly in daylight, especially bright light (I have tried to use it in strong daylight, obviously, and I find I'm having to shield it inconveniently. I'm guessing someone might mention articulated screen here ;-))

So, is LV used much in the type of shots I take and by who and why ? Just curious ...

Thanks.

05-10-2016, 12:24 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I use the viewfinder primarily, but will also use Live View, as it can often give a good representation of the image before it is shot. There are third party hoods that can be attached to allow Live View use even in bright light. Some even have eye pieces so you can view Live view, much like using the viewfinder. Found this one on amazon but three are others including simple pop-up hoods. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HD3G6Q/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
05-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Live view is great for verifying the focus, which you can then fine-tune since you're most likely going to be shooting on a tripod. Also, the K-1 has a new outdoor view settings which means it'll never be too bright to see the screen

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-10-2016, 01:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I use Live View for focusing when shooting wider angle landscapes, buildings etc. Especially useful for manual focusing and fine tuning. Use the Info button to zoom in, say 4x or 8x into the scene, then move the view around with the 4-way controls until your chosen focus point is in the middle (this might be looking at something at an approximate hyperfocal distance). Turn the focus ring and watch the screen come into and out of focus. When is clearest then leave it. Make sure you have a good aperture for full DOF (eg f13).

I usually come out of live view then, don't touch the focus again, and shoot a few images at different exposures using the remote control and mirror up. So its only used for the focusing operation at the start, then I just stand behind the camera, shading the viewfinder with one hand while using the remote control for the shots.

It's nicer to not be looking at or through the camera while taking the shots, much nicer to look directly at the scene especially if you're trying to judge when to take each exposure, eg if there are movements caused by the wind which you want to minimise.

In between shots a quick exposure adjustment is made, if in Av mode then with the EC, or directly with the time value in Manual.

Last edited by mcgregni; 05-10-2016 at 01:06 AM.
05-10-2016, 02:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think there are a couple of things about live view. I like it on the K-1, in particular, if I have my camera in a really low spot where I can use the articulating screen. It is nice to have to kill myself to crouch down and look through the viewfinder. The other thing is that auto focus with live view is better in one respect -- your auto focus points go closer to the edge of the image. If you are focusing with the viewfinder, your auto focus points don't go anywhere close to the near edge of the image. The last thing is that if you like manually focusing or need to do so, focus peaking and focus zooming (done by hitting the OK button) can help you get a precise focus where it might be tough in the viewfinder.

I'm not trying to convince to use live view -- I mostly use the viewfinder myself, but I do think there are places where it can be handy.
05-10-2016, 03:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I find the composition adjustment in LV as very useful features for landscape shots, as it let you fine-tune the composition by moving the sensor in X- and Y-direction and also rotate the sensor.
It will depend on what type of tripod head you use, but I often use a ball head and with them it can be frustrating to do precise adjustments.
05-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

When shooting with my K-5 and DA 12-24, I use live view to auto focus as it is most precise. I shoot in M mode, and find I get better green button metering in live view as well. I generally compose using the viewfinder, then switch over to live view for focusing and metering.
05-11-2016, 12:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There are many useful tips mentioned in this thread for using Live View (shame I missed the 'View' from the title ...). I'll make a note of them and see how I can incorporate them. Like Mcgregni, I tend to set the camera's focus/composition etc and then use the remote to time the shot. Adding an extra LV check will be easily incorporated.

I did notice noboby has commented on the possible extra battery consumption that may occur. So I assume it's probably negligible in reality.

05-11-2016, 04:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
So, is LV used much in the type of shots I take and by who and why ? Just curious ...
I use the K-01 a lot, which is always in live view mode (not a true DSLR). And I use it with manual focus lenses, 14mm, 28mm, 35mm, a lot. It works well enough for me. You have to get the hang of where each lens has infinity, not just on the label, but where the lens truly reaches infinity. And bonus points if you know hyperfocal at around f8 (f8 is sweet spot for most lenses, in terms of quality and wide DoF).
Batteries these days are pretty good. I don't even carry around a spare. Just one, and then I charge it when I get back home.
05-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I did notice noboby has commented on the possible extra battery consumption that may occur. So I assume it's probably negligible in reality.
Actually, for me it's significant, especially when the battery is at less than full charge. But the advantages of LV outweigh the inconvenience. I always carry a spare battery