Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #1

Defective user or defective K-50

New camera, had it two weeks. Been shooting outside on the deck in various modes, just learning. 75 shots as sun is setting-still very light. Went to manual focus on the lens, MF for manual focus, then when I came back to auto focus, all the pictures are, very very dark. No difference between auto or scene or manual, all very, very dark EXCEPT when I view the picture before I take it on the large LCD viewfinder, then the camera does fine. Go back to viewing thru the eyepiece and snapping the picture, and everything dark! Too dark to even recognize yard run trees. Help

Below is what it did with overcast skies about 2pm one day last week, this is a good bit lighter than what I am seeing now.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by RedSky; 05-10-2016 at 04:43 PM.
05-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
aperture is set at 22 which would make for a darker picture, try an aperture such as 4 or 5.6 to be brighter
05-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RedSky Quote
New camera, had it two weeks. Been shooting outside on the deck in various modes, just learning. 75 shots as sun is setting-still very light. Went to manual focus on the lens, MF for manual focus, then when I came back to auto focus, all the pictures are, very very dark. No difference between auto or scene or manual, all very, very dark EXCEPT when I view the picture before I take it on the large LCD viewfinder, then the camera does fine. Go back to viewing thru the eyepiece and snapping the picture, and everything dark! Too dark to even recognize yard run trees. Help

Below is what it did with overcast skies about 2pm one day last week, this is a good bit lighter than what I am seeing now.
Also, in manual mode, all shutter speeds sound very slow. Is the sound the same for all shutter speeds? I have not noticed. The camera has sat cooling, but no change, it is a low 70s for us, and we are in the shade. The pic last week, was only one of two taken at the time.
05-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Aperture settings have no effect, as does shutter speed--- no change. Even auto mode which should adjust ---- all dark. Do I have flash on, and not using the flash?

05-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could be a problem with the camera so I suggest you read the following post "Dark Exposures problems on K30 & K50? Read me First! The post could give you some insight into a possible cause for the low exposure
I would also check to insure that the Av Compensation has not been set to the maximum minus value
05-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
Now, some 42 minutes later, and no changes in camera settings ......... it is fine, taking great pictures thru viewfinder or using LCD display on the back, auto or scene or manual.

All pictures now good, I and I changed nothing.

I have now noted a time or two it will continue to show the scene thru the LCD viewfinder, even after a picture is taken, it will show the scene in preparation for the next picture to be snapped. I thought it only showed the scene thru the LCD screen one time, and reverted to viewfinder before the next picture?
05-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could have a bad aperture controller or it could be your fault. The photo you posted could be expected at those settings, you have a very closed aperture setting with a very fast shutter speed which will let in very little light. But I also notice that you have it in Landscape Scene mode, which I thought would choose auto settings. I sounds more like a camera problem. Could you post a couple more samples?
05-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
HI Ramseybuckeye, I got frustrated and deleted all pictures, so I have no more.

One thing, I was using auto with viewfinder and LCD, the viewfinder would be black, the LCD fine. Same for several scene shots, and same for several manual settings. I did not change anything except viewfinder vs LCD previews before snapping the pic, and the viewfinder black, the LCD fine. Eventually the camera would not even snap a picture at all, no matter how much I pushed on the shutter. I let it rest, no change. Let it rest some more, now it is fine, and I did not change any settings.

It is also 2 days past returnable from Amazon, I have an email to them, so back to Amazon it goes, or off to Pentax.

I just hope I am not using it properly, but I do not think this is the case.

05-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #9
mee
Site Supporter

Aperture
f/22

Exposure
1/1250s

ISO

Those are crazy settings for that time of day outside. On a crop sensor based camera (such as your K-50) you're almost never going to go to f/22 but it is doing that because the ISO is set so very high at 6400. Basically the ISO so high is causing the image to overexpose so the camera is compensating by decreasing the aperture down to f/22. Manually set the ISO down to 100 and try again.

Otherwise, from your description there is a fault in the camera... Especially if looking through the viewfinder is black and you're NOT in LiveView mode. IF you are in liveview mode, the mirror raises and the viewfinder naturally is blocked (become solid black).

So it could be a host of issues.

---------- Post added 05-10-16 at 09:42 PM ----------

Also is the battery charged? That really shouldn't matter but I'd check anyways..
05-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #10

Original Poster
those settings you referenced were auto settings, either in full auto or in scene outdoor. I had not learned how to use manual settings at the time of the picture. full battery charge last night with viewfinder vs LCD errors.
05-11-2016, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
On its way to precision camera, warranty repairs. I talked with Pentax today. Bummer
06-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter

no it is the dreaded diaphragm block failure that plagues this model, some guys on this forum will tell you it is perfectly acceptable. I wonder if it happen to them if they would sing the same tune
06-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hi Niceshot, yes ......... indeed I have been told time and time again, it is a function of the camera. I had a post up asking if all DSLRs did this, and it was taken down. When it came back from repairs, no change. I now have a second K-50, brand new, from amazon, and it does the exact same thing. I cannot think it should do this. thanks for reply.
06-17-2016, 07:43 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by RedSky Quote
HI Ramseybuckeye, I got frustrated and deleted all pictures, so I have no more.

One thing, I was using auto with viewfinder and LCD, the viewfinder would be black, the LCD fine. Same for several scene shots, and same for several manual settings. I did not change anything except viewfinder vs LCD previews before snapping the pic, and the viewfinder black, the LCD fine. Eventually the camera would not even snap a picture at all, no matter how much I pushed on the shutter. I let it rest, no change. Let it rest some more, now it is fine, and I did not change any settings.

It is also 2 days past returnable from Amazon, I have an email to them, so back to Amazon it goes, or off to Pentax.

I just hope I am not using it properly, but I do not think this is the case.
The viewfinder is "real" while the LCD is not. The LCD is only an approximation and will be brighter than the real picture by design. IIRC, it is +2 in darker situations.
06-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry62712 Quote
The viewfinder is "real" while the LCD is not. The LCD is only an approximation and will be brighter than the real picture by design. IIRC, it is +2 in darker situations.
no it is the dreaded aperture control block