Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #1

K-50 Focus indicator switch broke off

I've had the camera about 18 months now.. While switching the side lever between MF and AF I felt the switch start raising and then come loose. I wasn't forcing it or anything and it just came off. It's stuck on AF now, even if I jam the switch in and turn it nothing changes.
So this morning I thought it might be smart to use a drop of super glue. I put a drop on the switch and set it in place pointing at AF. After several hours I tried turning it and it wouldn't budge, sh*t. Before it set any more I took some plier and tried to twist it to get it rotating again. It rotated but came loose again and wasn't engaging the switching. So the black parts stuck around the switch port are superglue from the stuck switch.

Anyone run into this? Any bright ideas better than superglue? I guess my next move is bring it to a camera place, but I go on vacation next weekend and I have a feeling they'd take too long to fix it. I might just be stuck in AF till I get back.

Thanks,
Eric

Attached Images

05-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I doubt you'll be able to DIY a fix sadly. Aside from the odd SDM lens with an AF switch, there isn't any other way to select manual/auto focus. If the camera is only 18months old though, it should still be covered by warranty. I doubt it will be fixed in time for the weekend, so you may be limited to autofocus for that trip. Repair costs should be covered though (unless you purchased second hand, or a grey import). Just get in touch with the shop you purchased the camera from on your return
05-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgrade new camera!!??
05-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
If the camera is only 18months old though, it should still be covered by warranty.
No, not in the U.S...one year only here. Shops only deal with defects for about 6-8 weeks. After that the U.S. distributor services the warranty.

A replacement part and professional repair would be best. If DIY is attempted, I would suggest epoxy over super glue. Super glue fumes have the reputation of seeking out and destroying some plastic optical components (eyepiece lenses and such).

BTW, to the OP: Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve

05-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Boo!