Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #1

Looking for input on sd wifi cards

I've tried to do my research but the various reviews seem wildly inconsistent.

What I want to do, using my K3, is pretty simple. I want to use a high quality, non-wifi card to capture raw in card slot 1. Then I want to use the second card slot to capture web sized jpgs and to be able to look at the thumbnails on an iphone app.

Now the important part. I simply want to be able to tap the thumbnails of the photos I want to bring to my phone and have them transferred. Not formatting, no editing, no special buttons to post straight to facebook, instagram, etc. I just want to select thumbnails and have only those transferred to my phones photo album. Pretty simple.

I don't need to connect to my home wifi, have special cloud storage, etc. I just want to view thumbnails on a phone app, select and transfer. It seems pretty simple. Does anyone have experience with this scenario?

The Toshiba FlashAir 3 seemed pretty promising. The EyeFi products either don't let you select photos or with the new Pro card still make it impractical to select specific photos without jumping through on camera hoops.

Any advice?

05-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To clarify you want to select the photos from the iPad not the camera?

Because I can do selective transfers with my eyefi mobi card already.

I'm not sure what steps are too complex and annoying but maybe I'm just accepting a subpar experience.
05-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

I use an EyeFi Mobi Pro in a K3, in the second SD slot. I set the K3 to shoot lowest jpg to that card. I transfer them to my IPad via the EyeFi Wifi out in the field or anywhere. The EyeFi app allows you to select the photos you wish to work with. I use other app software to do minor adjustments. I find this a very easy way to send small photos to anyone I wish. I shoot RAW captures in SD slot 1, for my prints, etc...

Hope this is helpful.
05-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I had a K-3 the only wifi card I would seriously consider is the flu card. You not only get the wifi connectivity you also get wireless tethering and remote control via a smart phone. Eye-Fi is a good product but they can't give you that and given the lack of an articulating back screen on the K-3 the ability to view, focus and shoot using a smart phone or tablet goes a long way toward mitigating that shortcoming.

05-14-2016, 05:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
If I had a K-3 the only wifi card I would seriously consider is the flu card. You not only get the wifi connectivity you also get wireless tethering and remote control via a smart phone. Eye-Fi is a good product but they can't give you that and given the lack of an articulating back screen on the K-3 the ability to view, focus and shoot using a smart phone or tablet goes a long way toward mitigating that shortcoming.
This is true, but in practice I found the flucard too cumbersome. I prefer the eyefi.
05-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This is true, but in practice I found the flucard too cumbersome. I prefer the eyefi.
I'll have to defer to your experience as I've never actually used a flu card. I have used two different version of the Eyefi and while I was initially very happy with the result my enthusiasm faded as I began to wrestle with the shortcomings. I could never get the Mobi Pro to work reliably at all and I eventually returned it. I still have the Eye-Fi Pro X2 and found that it worked fairly well with the K-50 but it was a constant struggle with the K-5 IIs. In either case raw file handling left much to be desired.

I also have a Toshiba FlashAir 16GB and never was able to get it to work to my satisfaction.

Perhaps I just had bad luck.
05-14-2016, 06:42 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I only use my eyefi for jpgs. The flu card is just annoying.

05-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an Eye-Fi Pro X2 (old), a Mobi (not quite as old), and a Toshiba FlashAir W-02. The Pro X2 is still my main wifi card - I used it for several years in a K10d and now in the second slot of a K3. I haven't tried the more advanced features regarding the card in the K3. I use it just like in the K10d - it pushes all jpgs to my phone whenever I start the app (provided, of course, that I'm not on my home wifi - if so, I need to drop the home wifi connection on my phone and connect to the Eye-Fi's hotspot). It's easier for me to review the jpgs on the larger phone screen and then delete the ones I don't want. I like that, if out somewhere and not connected to a wifi network, I can start the app and leave my phone in my pocket while shooting. When I'm done, the jpgs are already on my phone or at least in the process of being copied. Works great for high school football games and marching band pics! My wife gets immediate editorial control.

However, the FlashAir seems like it would do what you want. When using it and it's respective app, I get the thumbnails loaded to my phone. I can then select individual jgps or there is a "select all" checkbox to get all of them transferred in one shot.
05-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone. After hearing that the FlashAir app lets you select which photos to transfer I'm going to start there since there were priced attractively on the Adorama site.