Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 04:20 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography book help!! The Asahi Pentax Way

Okay, to begin with, I actually do have this book. It dates from about 1972, and covers the existence of the electro Spotmatic and I think possibly the ES as well, but not the Spotmatic F.

I know there are previous editions, in which the electro versions would not yet have existed, and a quick flick through Abebooks shows me editions from 1975 and I think even 1976! The big question, of course, is what they cover.

So... is there anyone out there who owns a copy of the final edition of this book (not including reprints) and who can tell me what it covers? Particularly, did Keppler ever make the jump to the K-mount era or did he only cover the Spotmatics and their predecessors?

If you do have it, I am not asking or expecting you to sell it to me - but publisher and year would be helpful so I could track it down faster (and for it to be in English goes without saying; the only late version I saw on abebooks had a Spanish dust cover!).

05-14-2016, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have an edition described as "eleventh with supplement" published in 1980 which includes ME, ME Super, MV, MV-1 and MX, K2, K2 DMD, KX, KM and K1000

So yes he did jump to K-mount.
05-14-2016, 05:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting - does he compare and contrast between the K/M series and Spotties? Or do they live in two separate worlds, as it were? I ask because in my edition, his defence of the M42 mount is strident.
05-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have 9th edition Reprinted October 1976.
The paper cover says "including the NEW Pentax K series"
In the book are green supplement pages covering the Pentax ME and MX.

05-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have the Ninth Edition, published in 1975 by Focal Press Ltd. The dust jacket cover proclaims "including the NEW Pentax K Series."

The K-series cameras - K2, KX and KM - are described in a 16-page insert The K Series Pentax Camera and Lens System, which is bound into the volume after page 64. In this section, Keppler does refer to various Spotmatics and ES-series cameras, but most of the material simply highlights the features of the K-series, without going into a comprehensive comparison. Little is said about the new K-series lenses, other than introducing their existence, describing the new mount, and stating that "Everything written in this book concerning the SMC Takumars therefore refers equally to the SMC Pentax lenses" (except for the obvious mount, focus ring, smallest aperture of f/22, and the new 52-mm filter diameter).

- Craig
05-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #6

I have here the fourth edition, copyright 1970 Focal Press Limited. "Printed and Bound in Great Britain by A. Wheaton and Co. Exeter 1970". For those of us who were living in England at the time (I was just a kid), the price is both in the new decimal 2.25 and the pre-decimal 2.5.0 (which was two pounds, five shillings and zero pence).

Anyway Keppler lists the discontinued models, and then the current models at the time - the S1a (H1a), the "Spotmatic or SP", SL (mentioned as the replacement for the SV), and lastly the Spotmatic Motor Drive.

I don't think all this helps your search for info all that much - but it's interesting how quickly these guide books had to be updated.
05-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I have the "Eleventh edition with supplement," published in 1980. To answer your question regarding his treatment of K and M series cameras in comparison to the thread-mount cameras -- he doesn't really compare one system to another, nor does he "defend" a particular system. I definitely found enough difference between this last edition of his book and his earlier sixth edition (published in 1972) to make it worthwhile. Keppler knew his stuff.
05-14-2016, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

I have:

- eight edition (May 1974) which was screw-mount only.
- ninth edition (December 1975) K Mount & screw-mount.
- ninth edition reprint (October 1976) K Mount & screw-mount and M Series "ME & MX" supplement at the back.

All are published by Focal Press.

Phil.

05-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Excellent. Thanks, you lot. All this is grist to the book hunter's mill.

After the M series everything changes anyway; electronics are the order of the day, the nature of the metering has radically changed, and nothing can cope fully without batteries any more.
05-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #10

I searched the online library database worldcat.org and found 11 different editions from 1966 to 1981. If you search that site it will show you if there's a library near you with a newer edition you could check out.
06-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #11

This may be coming a little late, but did you try Amazon?
I just did a quick search and found many copies and many different editions.
Prices were approx $25 and way, way up.
good luck.