Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #1

NiMH's or a battery bank for a 200D?

Hello All,

This is my first post and many thanks to all for the site....

I was just about to go out and buy a set of my favorite $18.00 Lithium's when it occurred to me I could get one of those new fan-dangled 10000mamp rechargeable battery banks, with car jumpstart leads, for a mere $10 more and assuming it has a 12v, 6.5v and/or 5v outputs and that I get the right leads.
I could gaffer it the underside of the camera and flash-away, everyday, every-way, it would be great to have some more flashing experience.

are my options
1. find a powerbank with a 6.5Volt output
2. or will the 5v line from the usb cable supplement power demand when using depleted non rechargables?
3. or does pentax have a battery that will recharge from the 6.5v or 5v line?

05-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #2

I've always used rechargeable Eneloop AA batteries in my K200D. There's nothing better.

Welcome to the forums!

John (New Zealand)
05-16-2016, 03:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
rechargeable Eneloop AA batteries
+1

Tim
05-16-2016, 05:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I also recommend Eneloops in general. For someone just starting out with Eneloops I would suggest the black Pro's over the white for the K200D.

I used 8 of the original white Eneloops as two sets of 4 batteries in my K100D for years.

Over time as I used them and was recharging them regularly the batteries were not providing enough voltage after being charged by the original charger for the camera to turn on.

When I recently picked up a used K200D I bought an Eneloop Pro kit for the higher capacity batteries and the better charger. Here is a link to the kit from a site sponsor - Panasonic Charger with 4 Pro Eneloop AA Size Batteries K-KJ17KHCA4A

Just like just about every piece of tech available today, there are also web site forums just about batteries and charging. Rather than repeat it all here, check out Candlepowerforums.com for more than you would ever want to know about batteries and smart chargers, or for a very good summary about the different low discharge batteries and chargers - Best AA Batteries: 2015 update | FilterJoe

05-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
a huge thanks for your posts.... i've been using lithium energizers and thay are very good if not very expensive.... the main reason i had for getting a powerbank over a rechargeable batteries is because it can support my other devices including my phone, tablet and light.

I will look at the eneloops again but I'm thinking i may be spending too much in comparison to the amount of usage i put the camera through, which nis not much, hobby spurts if anything...

---------- Post added 05-16-16 at 05:30 PM ----------

had a quick look but it just gets too confusing. Should I get jap or chinese eneloops, should i get a good charger, should I spend twice the amount of a powerbank for a solution that is only going to be half as good at best and wont deliver the aim, which was to do some work with my flash.
so back to one of my original question, does the 6.5v or 5v input on a 200d charge, supplement or replace the battery powersupply?
05-17-2016, 04:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
ok, less confused now...have been readin the links

a battery for flash intensive purposes im prolly looking at...
2 x 4set of 2500ma ($17/4)
an independent cell charger ($65)
ttl, $99... hmmmm

in that...
avoid Chinese made stuff, eg stuf marked 65%

avoid "kits" "starter paks" and "specials" like ATM Coles and Target...Dumb chargers with included low ma cells, like 1300mamp and 700mamp, pretty redundant nowdaya...
05-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #7

For my K200D, I have some of the original Sanyo Japanese Eneloops and some of the newer Panasonic Chinese made Eneloops. Both have been great.

For charging I have a Maha Powerex smart charger that holds 8 AA or AAA batteries and has individual circuits for each cell. These are available in Australia from a number of online outlets.

05-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Forum Member

When I had my K200D I used rechargeable NiMH batteries day-to-day but whenever I traveled I always used Lithium energizers. I liked that they were *so light* and lasted *forever*. Yes they are expensive but my recollection was you could get like 2000 shots on a set of them. I would carry an extra set of them in my bag and just leave the charger at home. In the unlikely event that you need more than 2 sets of batteries while traveling you can always buy more practically anywhere in the world.

Honestly I wish Pentax would return to the AA batteries for their DSLRs. The lithium packs they use now are so expensive an the charger is so bulky.

If you do get rechargeable batteries make sure they are "low self-discharge" (like the Eneloop brand). They will maintain their charge for months/years. Regular NiMH batteries will go dead in a few weeks so if you are not constantly using & charging them they will always be dead when you reach for your camera.

Last edited by ajack; 05-17-2016 at 01:25 PM.
05-21-2016, 05:59 AM   #9

Original Poster
after careful consideration and little cash ($27) i bought Aldi (Bahn) Charger and 4x Aldi LSD 2300MA AA's rechargable's. The charger does temp, U curve and individual cell sensoring.

From the pack and with the 200D spent the aftenoon around Sandgate, shooting much more than I usually would and putting more much more demand on the batteries than I usually would, ie multi-frame, flash etc.... Surpringsly the batteries lasted.
Got home, torched them for 35 minutes, let em rest for 80 minutes and put them in the charger...

The only think amiss is this charger seems to charge batteries quite fast....
On the back it says 6X AA's at 1000MAMP Max...

After this afternoon use It's belted the Aldi's up to 100% within 2.5 hours. I wonder if they;ll last

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-21-may/saturday-det...ttery-charger/
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-21-may/saturday-det...ble-batteries/

Sorry if i've dissappointed anyone by not getting the eneloops, it's just that they where going to cost $70-$80 with a worthy charger.