Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question about wired remote

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Can anyone tell me if the pentax (and similar generic) wired remote is passive ie just a switch, or does it contain a battery and pcb/chip?
Reason I want to know is because I am trying to get the switch on my novoflex to work with my K5.

05-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have Pentax wired remote and is passive. I do not know if inside they have some electronics.
The other one I have is Pentax Remote Control F but this is with battery and IR.
I will get at some point Remote Radio Trigger as well while I need to trigger camera over the long distance and that's the feature both above RC's are missing.
05-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It depends on the remote. Those with a simple physical switch to close the circuit don't need a battery. Those that have expanded functionality (intervalometer and such) have batteries. The circuit through the plug supports half and full press only (three contact areas) with no provision for power.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-19-2016 at 11:34 AM.
05-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK thanks thats great. I will plug the cable I have ordered in when it arrives and... see what happens!

05-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love that philosophy, "see what happens ".

Usually followed by "no fire, no smoke". Great. Sometimes followed by "ooops". Not great
05-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
Forum Member

If you want to check your remote before plugging it into the camera, the Pentax (and I think Canon, too.) pin-out for the sub-mini TRS (Tip, Ring Sleeve) plug (see stevebrot's photo above) is Sleeve - Common, Ring - Focus, and Tip - Shutter. If you use an ohm-meter, or continuity tester, pushing the button half-way should cause continuity between Sleeve and Ring. Pushing the button full down should cause continuity between Sleeve and Tip (as well as Sleeve and Ring). I don't really think a remote that is wired differently will cause smoke or damage. It will just likely not work or will be backwards (fire before focus). Even the ones that have timer or intervalometer circuits in them just use electronic switching. No voltages present on the plug contacts.
05-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by commongrounder Quote
If you want to check your remote before plugging it into the camera, the Pentax (and I think Canon, too.) pin-out for the sub-mini TRS (Tip, Ring Sleeve) plug (see stevebrot's photo above) is Sleeve - Common, Ring - Focus, and Tip - Shutter. If you use an ohm-meter, or continuity tester, pushing the button half-way should cause continuity between Sleeve and Ring. Pushing the button full down should cause continuity between Sleeve and Tip (as well as Sleeve and Ring). I don't really think a remote that is wired differently will cause smoke or damage. It will just likely not work or will be backwards (fire before focus). Even the ones that have timer or intervalometer circuits in them just use electronic switching. No voltages present on the plug contacts.
Thanks for that info. That's my thinking too commongrounder.
I don't think I will get any half way action, just a shutter fire. It looks like just a simple on-off momentary switch in the novoflex.

05-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cable arrived today. I'm in business! Shutter fire with the novoflex remote button.

But is it normal that there is no rear screen display when using a cable remote?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G1  Photo 
05-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You would have to turn on live view. I don't think the camera knows it has a remote plugged in (based on my k-5 and generic cable experience)

One tip, if your remote is like mine, you have a lock that locks the button down for long exposures. You CAN'T tell by looking at it that it is locked down. Don't lock that and leave it that way, you'll try using the cable later and think your camera is broken. Keep that turned off when not in use.
Don't ask me how I know
05-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, it's something to do with the cable. If I pull the jack out of the camera socket a couple of mm the screen comes back on. Otherwise - nada!
Thanks for the tip re shutter lock, doesn't apply to the switch on the novoflex however.
05-20-2016, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

When using Pentax cable trigger the screen acts the same as when shutter button has been pressed also half press works...
05-20-2016, 07:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The button on the novoflex doesn't have a half way press, it's just an on/off momentary switch. I'll just have to wean myself off leaning on focus confirm.
05-20-2016, 07:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Usually the Canon cable works with Pentax... Had Canon wired trigger that worked like OEM Pentax, no issues at all. Gave it to uncle who has Pentax and Canon DSLR and can use them on both...

---------- Post added 05-20-16 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
The button on the novoflex doesn't have a half way press, it's just an on/off momentary switch.
There is you answer.... Pentax thinks that the button is already half press and therefore shuts the screen down...

---------- Post added 05-20-16 at 10:38 AM ----------

I suggest that you manufacture yourself the cable and do not connect the contacts on one side for the portion where send the signal for half press... I think that someone above mention 3 contact area. It just needs to be found out which one is for half press.

Last edited by RAART; 05-20-2016 at 07:40 AM.
05-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Usually the Canon cable works with Pentax..
That's useful to know.
i think that if I could replace the switch in the novoflex that would be the way to go - but I would have to rewire the connection to the jack socket too.
05-20-2016, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
That's useful to know.
i think that if I could replace the switch in the novoflex that would be the way to go - but I would have to rewire the connection to the jack socket too.
for sure that will be the way to go... If you can find also an used wired trigger you can take them apart and take look how they did wiring there and if some circuits are there you can port them to Novoflex as well. That will be small project with huge benefits for you as you will have half press which is necessary to get focus confirm (wake-up camera) as well and then happy hunting.

---------- Post added 05-20-16 at 02:37 PM ----------

This will help you resolve your problems...