Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #1

Pentax k-50 lenses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am going to buy a used pentax K-50 and I am wondering what mm lens would I need? I am going to photograph horses and horse related sports at high speeds. I am new to cameras and Photography so I do not know what would be best in my budget, I dont want to spend over $100 on a lens so I will probably be buying a used one. I have found some lenses that I think would work and that are in my price range:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004UDVS/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Camera Lenses in Compatible Brand:For Pentax, Focus Type:Auto, Mount:Pentax K | eBay

05-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lsurb Quote
I am going to buy a used pentax K-50 and I am wondering what mm lens would I need? I am going to photograph horses and horse related sports at high speeds. I am new to cameras and Photography so I do not know what would be best in my budget, I dont want to spend over $100 on a lens so I will probably be buying a used one. I have found some lenses that I think would work and that are in my price range:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004UDVS/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Camera Lenses in Compatible Brand:For Pentax, Focus Type:Auto, Mount:Pentax K | eBay
Under $100 for high speed tele photography: that's a tough one, but it you push the limit a little higher, this lens rocks:
"Mint" Pentax SMC Pentax Da L 55 300mm F 4 5 8 Ed AF Lens w Caps from Japan 390 | eBay

This is the absolute best bang you can get for your buck. It'll walk circles around that FA lens, plus you get 1.5x the reach, if you need it

See alto this list for current lenses sorted by price:
Current Pentax Lenses

The DA 50mm (portrait lens) and DA 35mm (standard lens) are also great values, and around or below $100.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, the 55-300 seems a great value. To get higher quality you'll spend a lot more money.
05-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a Tamron 90-300 on ebay a couple years ago for about $100. Its been a great lens. At least for a squirrel shot

05-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am going to photograph horses and horse related sports at high speeds.
I was thinking DFA*70-200
I dont want to spend over $100 on a lens so I will probably be buying a used one.
But with this budget you are very restricted. The DAL 55-300 would likely be the best you can get but is still going to be over your budget. The Pentax-F 70-210 is another option that might be available near $100 and will work well.
05-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

and there's always the manual options: SMC A 70-210mm f4, which is highly-regarded or even a Tamron Adaptall manual zoom lens (60-300mm f3.8-5.4), but I know Adaptall's can be fidgety....
05-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
Are the ones I listed good for what I need? Im a college student trying to make some extra money without getting a full time job that interferes with training and my classes.

05-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are the ones I listed good for what I need? Im a college student trying to make some extra money without getting a full time job that interferes with training and my classes.
I'd recommend paying attention to the lens reviews on this site - you get a pretty good idea of which lenses are good, and which are not so good.

With any luck, the camera you buy will include an 18-55mm zoom lens. That lens is good enough for general photography (but it's not the greatest lens out there - If for example you managed to snag an 18-135 with your camera - then that would probably be good enough to use as your only lens for the next few years)

As mentioned, in the telephoto zoom range, the best price/performance will be found with the DA 55-300 (You may be able to find the DAL version on ebay, which has a plastic mount and lacks quick shift & weather sealing). There older F and FA series zooms in that range that may suffice, but I think most people would advise you to save for a little bit longer to get that lens (second hand on ebay, or on the market place here). Just remember this adage: quality not quantity!

The DAL 50-200 is OK, and you'd probably find it available cheaper than the 55-300 (simply because the 55-300 is more highly regarded around these parts!). It's not a bad lens to start off with, but the 55-300 is a little sharper, and has a bit more reach.

There are older F and FA zooms that may suffice for your needs. Before you spend any money though, be sure to check out the lens reviews: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The silver 80-200mm FA lens you linked to above, doesn't really have a good reputation around here.

---------- Post added 05-21-16 at 12:33 AM ----------

Another slightly daft idea: Are there are used K-7's or K-30's available for less than the K-50? The K-30 is basically identical to the K-50. The K-7 is a little older (build quality is better, but the high ISO performance isn't as good, and it's 14mp rather than 16mp). If that were to free up some more cash to spend on lenses, that might be worth considering....
05-20-2016, 05:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be honest, no. For general personal use they would be fine, for semi-professional use I suspect you will be disappointed or your clients will be. If I were going to shoot horse shows or the like I would be looking at a DFA*70-200 f/2.8 or the Tamron or Sigma equal mounted on a k-3II or K-1.

I don't mean to discourage you in any way but a few things about your plan worry me. First, you say you are new to cameras and photography. Then you have a budget for a lens of $100. Then you say your are going to photograph horses and high speed horse sports. And then you say you are going to try and make some money. I wish you all the best but this is not (usually) a profession you jump into with no gear and no experience and make money at.

On the other hand, maybe you have a plan and I wish you all success. On a budget as you describe I would look for a k-30 or k-50 with the DAL 55-300. I think that is the most performance / price you will get. Look to buy both used.
05-20-2016, 05:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with robthebloke that the K30 might be a good alternative choice. I have one as backup for my K3 and the image quality is very good.
05-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
To be honest, no. For general personal use they would be fine, for semi-professional use I suspect you will be disappointed or your clients will be. If I were going to shoot horse shows or the like I would be looking at a DFA*70-200 f/2.8 or the Tamron or Sigma equal mounted on a k-3II or K-1.

I don't mean to discourage you in any way but a few things about your plan worry me. First, you say you are new to cameras and photography. Then you have a budget for a lens of $100. Then you say your are going to photograph horses and high speed horse sports. And then you say you are going to try and make some money. I wish you all the best but this is not (usually) a profession you jump into with no gear and no experience and make money at.

On the other hand, maybe you have a plan and I wish you all success. On a budget as you describe I would look for a k-30 or k-50 with the DAL 55-300. I think that is the most performance / price you will get. Look to buy both used.
I do have a plan...I have my own horses that I will be taking pictures of.
05-20-2016, 09:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The bargain choice is the Sigma DL 100-300mm f4.5-6.7, often available for $25-60 from one source or another. It was also sold as Quantaray. Note these come in several mounts so not every one for sale is Pentax mount. By staying below 250mm it will not drop to f/6.7, which is mighty slow for capturing any movement. It is not a lens for indoor horse events!

Autofocus is faster than pentax' 55-300 lenses - but having the 55-100mm range is very handy for many situations.
05-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do have a plan...I have my own horses that I will be taking pictures of.
Well, that's a good start.
05-20-2016, 11:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

A Tamron AF 70-300/4.0-5.6 Macro zoom lens may fit your needs. It's more prone to purple fringing but IQ wise it's slightly better than the Pentax 55-300/4.0-5.8 at 300mm and a used one should be obtainable for less than 100.00USD.
05-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #15

Original Poster
Im going to sound like an idiot but I am really confused by all of the terms yall are using.

---------- Post added 05-21-16 at 09:53 AM ----------

I want to be able to take photos like this:
http://bigshotrodeo.com/imageL/5FREEM1L.jpg
http://g3.img-dpreview.com/8332C75BEAE24116A9A68F0A5FB7E81C.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7250/7445797086_d083f30116_z.jpg