Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Fungus and it's effect on picture quality. ..

A question out of general interest.
How much does fungus affect picture quality? I had a play with a Macro that had minute particles of fungus and really couldn't see any effect on the pictures I took. They seemed sharp to me.
Also, is there a way of getting rid of it. Tempted by a bargain, but some clarification needed.

05-22-2016, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends.
On the location, both where it is at on the lens element and on which element. Around the edges, probably not much.
On the severity, a few strands, no big deal. A significant percentage of the lens optic covered, most likely it will be noticeable.
On whether it has etched the coatings.

Cleaning? Again it depends, mostly on how deep in the lens it is and how hard it is to dissemble that lens. I've done a number of Takumars, but those are relatively simple lenses. Modern auto-focus lenses I would not attempt myself. I have used alcohol to clean it and had good success.

Remember what you are cleaning is just the dead strands. The fungus itself is dead, and likely has been for a long time. You just need to clean up the residue that remains.
05-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cool, thanks. It's an old SMC 100 mm Macro, so I reckon I could dismantle it, I am an engineer by trade. Probably worth a punt then. I have one, but this is in a local exchange store for 30