Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Let's say I place my camera on a tripod and I am using the accessory that activates the shutter. There will still be some degree of vibration.
That's something different. Here you are talking about mirror slap. The remedy for that is mirror lock up, not Shake Reduction (which Pentax recommends should be turned off when using the camera on a tripod).

On the K100D Super you can achieve MLU by using the 2 second self-timer. See pp.60-3 and 67 in the manual.

Last edited by Des; 05-22-2016 at 07:11 PM.
05-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
SR rocks! :~)
......'nuff said! Anything beyond that is ridiculous!

Regards!
05-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
SR rocks! :~)
It sure does. 1/8th second handheld with the K100D Super. (This is not a photo I'd normally show here but just getting a shot that was acceptable in the circumstances was amazing to me.)
Attached Images

Last edited by Des; 05-22-2016 at 07:29 PM.
05-22-2016, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
That's something different. Here you are talking about mirror slap. The remedy for that is mirror lock up, not Shake Reduction (which Pentax recommends should be turned off when using the camera on a tripod).

On the K100D Super you can achieve MLU by using the 2 second self-timer. See pp.60-3 and 67 in the manual.
I see. Also, I do understand the perspective that since Pentax placed the icon on the rear of the camera, it clearly indicates that hand shake is also addressed.

Well, I want to thank everybody for all the interesting and educational input.

Adios,

Antonio

05-23-2016, 02:52 AM   #20

Fellow members. Please be advised that I place my jokes in the "Joke Thread Only." In the Pentax K100D Super camera manual on Page 47 it states, and I quote: The Shake Reduction Function reduces camera shake that easily occurs when the shutter release button is pressed. The Shake Reduction Function may not fully reduce camera shake in close-up shots. In this case it is recommended to turn off Shake Reduction and place the camera on a tripod." Unquote. It just goes on to say how the camera operates with different lenses and types. This is right out the manual. I believe it clearly indicates every time the shutter release button is pressed. At any rate, it does not even imply the reduction of shake caused by a photographer's hand holding the camera. Shake Reduction in this camera is a function for offsetting the vibrations caused by the shutter when activated.

Thanks,

Antonio
Hmmm, either your manual is different from the online version or you conveniently omitted some text:

QuoteQuote:
The Shake Reduction function reduces camera shake that easily occurs when the shutter release is pressed. This is useful for taking pictures in situations where camera shake is likely to occur. The Shake Reduction function gives you approximately 2 to 3.5 steps slower shutter speed without the risk of camera shake.
The Shake Reduction function is ideal when taking pictures in the following situations.
  • When taking pictures in dimly lit locations, such as indoors, at night, on cloudy days and in the shade
  • When taking telephoto pictures
This is followed by example photos - one blurred and one taken with Shake Reduction. The blurred photo shows side to side motion. If it were shutter or mirror shock I would expect the motion to be up and down. Granted the photo could have been taken in portrait orientation.

QuoteQuote:
The Shake Reduction function reduces camera shake that easily occurs when the shutter release is pressed.
Interpret it any way you like. What would be the point of having Shake Reduction function on when the shutter isn't being released i.e. when not taking pictures?
Attached Images

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-23-2016 at 03:00 AM.
05-23-2016, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adios
Not before another example of effective SR in the K100D Super. 250mm at 1/10th second, handheld - unimaginable on my old film SLR.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
05-23-2016, 06:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

To sum up this thread......SR be good! We lik'em it..... a lot!

Regards!

05-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it would have just been better to go with the joking theory.
Here's my smiley.
05-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I just took a 1/20th with no problem at all. I should do a SR speed limbo and see how low I can go.
05-23-2016, 11:19 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think it would have just been better to go with the joking theory.
Now there is another thread saying the K1 mirror slap is causing blurred images....looks like there is an epidemic of nonsense. I've been inoculated by years of absurdity at various spots around here, so it is not affecting my shots!

Just shot this to make certain.....1/200 big ol' heavy Bigma + K1 handheld @ 500mm ISO 6400....Works for me!

Regards!
05-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that other thread was started for a more sinister purpose. There is a difference between not understanding something and starting malicious rumors.
05-23-2016, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Now there is another thread saying the K1 mirror slap is causing blurred images....looks like there is an epidemic of nonsense. I've been inoculated by years of absurdity at various spots around here, so it is not affecting my shots!
I think that other thread was started for a more sinister purpose. There is a difference between not understanding something and starting malicious rumors.
Maybe I'm soft, but I think most of the misinformation posted on this site stems from misunderstanding. Like @jatrax, I'm sure the OP here just misunderstood the manual. Anyway to my mind the answer is (almost always) that it's better to play the ball than play the man (not that I've always managed it myself). You two do it well. It's part of the culture that makes this forum so much better than others. Once we descend into flame-throwing nothing is left but cinders. The value is not in "winning" the argument (let alone trying to humiliate the "opponent"), but in leaving something useful for other readers - and there will be ten times more of them than participants in the thread.

Last edited by Des; 05-23-2016 at 03:34 PM.
05-23-2016, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
but in leaving something useful for other readers - and there will be ten times more of them than participants in the thread.
Wise words. And not always easy to live up to. Unlike the spoken word things recorded here do not fade away but remain, searchable and readable forever. Or at least for whatever definition of forever applies to the internet.

I would hope that someday someone reading the sum of my posts would conclude I did more good than harm, though I must admit to having made a fair number of posts that I might regret. I think I should write that down on a post-it and put it on my monitor: "Leave something useful for other readers".
05-23-2016, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I would hope that someday someone reading the sum of my posts would conclude I did more good than harm, though I must admit to having made a fair number of posts that I might regret.
Same here... In your defence (mine too, I hope), I'll say this... I value the posts of someone who tries and is 90% helpful but gets it wrong 10% of the time. No-one's perfect
05-23-2016, 05:02 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wise words. And not always easy to live up to. Unlike the spoken word things recorded here do not fade away but remain, searchable and readable forever. Or at least for whatever definition of forever applies to the internet.

I would hope that someday someone reading the sum of my posts would conclude I did more good than harm, though I must admit to having made a fair number of posts that I might regret. I think I should write that down on a post-it and put it on my monitor: "Leave something useful for other readers".
My intention in opening this thread was to begin an intelligent and thoughtful discussion regarding an issue that needed to be cleared up. I had no need of hurling accusations and making derogatory comments by getting into personalities. In fact, I can still make a case by stating that the manual is inaccurate by not supporting an icon the company placed on the rear of the camera. The hand shake reduction icon is what made up my mind to purchase the camera. I did not intentionally or conveniently leave any information out. I focused on the main topic by pointing out what the manual described. Again, I really like my Pentax camera and enjoy using it even more than my Nikon equipment. Please, let's put this issue to bed and call it good.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Antonio

---------- Post added 05-23-16 at 05:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Just shot this to make certain.....1/200 big ol' heavy Bigma + K1 handheld @ 500mm ISO 6400....Works for me!

Regards!
Wonderful photography. I do not know if I am seeing things, but is there some purple fringing on the branches? My friend, you nailed that Bokeh extremely well. An area that for some reason I have been dropping the ball on, sort of speaking. Thanks, very well done. An enjoyable viewing experience.

Antonio