Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #1

depleted batteries message

Please help me. I have a Pentax K100D (not super), and have had it for several years now. The problem seems to have gotten worse. I have used rechargeable batteries and also alkaline and they have worked, but now I can put in a brand new set of alkaline and it almost immediately reads "batteries depleted". I don't know if there is any kind of a reset or something I can do. Any suggestions? It used to be that I could turn it off and back on and get some more battery life, but doesn't seem to be the case now. Please help, it's still in really nice condition and was hoping to get many more years of use out of it.

05-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baboon Quote
Please help me. I have a Pentax K100D (not super), and have had it for several years now. The problem seems to have gotten worse. I have used rechargeable batteries and also alkaline and they have worked, but now I can put in a brand new set of alkaline and it almost immediately reads "batteries depleted". I don't know if there is any kind of a reset or something I can do. Any suggestions? It used to be that I could turn it off and back on and get some more battery life, but doesn't seem to be the case now. Please help, it's still in really nice condition and was hoping to get many more years of use out of it.
Have you tried using a brand new set of rechargeables?

If you do find that there's something wrong with the camera, I'd recommend upgrading to the K-50: you'll really enjoy the image quality

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baboon Quote
My K200D had a lot of problems with AA batteries too. The best solution I found was to use Lithium ones. They're expensive but last for ages and have the advantage of being lighter than other AAs.
05-24-2016, 01:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the same problem with mine. I got a K-5 when the problem started, but I would like to fix the 100D for my son...

05-24-2016, 01:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a similar problem with a K100D Super, after months of inactivity due to K-5 purchase, I put the batteries back in and the camera showed low battery, I put fresh lithium batteries in and it still showed low battery. I immediately wanted to go back to the shop as at 7 for 4 Lithium batteries I was unhappy. Luckily I persevered, cleaned the battery contacts as best I could, inserted the batteries again and voila, indicator showed full battery. Camera ready to loan to my Nephew's wife.
However, a week later, after leaving the batteries in the camera, when I loaned it to her, on start up it showed low battery again....taking the batteries out, re-inserting then gave a full battery indication. Weird!

My recommendation is to fiddle about with it, you may get the same result that I did.
05-24-2016, 07:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tried using a brand new set of rechargeables?

If you do find that there's something wrong with the camera, I'd recommend upgrading to the K-50: you'll really enjoy the image quality
Not yet. I have a new set of Panasonic eneloops on order with the charger. I will see what they do.
05-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the same problem with my ist DS and my K200D, I see its a capacitor problem . I bought eneloop batteries and Lithium's but it made no difference. I have seen on the net that the Pentax cameras with external power points will run with an external power pack. I keep away from Pentax AA only cameras. My K200D only has 2000 shutter count.
06-02-2016, 01:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all for your suggestions. Just one more question - Using the 6.5V DC plug in on the side of the K100D, is there an external battery I can hook to that and use instead of putting batteries in the camera?