Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Very strange problem with pentax k-s2+18-135WR

Hi everyone!

I'm very happy with my camera until now . It's very strange and complex the problem that I have, I will try to explain in the best possible way.

When I put the 18-135WR lens on the camera, it doesn't work properly. The menu of the camera is blinking constantly, I can't enter to the menu, info, WB, ISO, flash (any of the items below the playback button), when I press any of the mentioned buttons, the camera take me off and the AF of the camera doesn't works (the camera is like when Focus mode switch is on MF).

In other side, I can take photos, change: the aperture and shutter speed, manually focus (moving the focus ring), see the taken photos and the camera makes the exposure compensation fine.

The problem is that the body (ks2) works fine with any other lenses (I tried at least, 3 other lenses with AF and 1 manually lens) and the 18-135WR works fine with another body, but when I put together (ks2+18-135WR) happen the problem described before. Also, I got another 18-135WR (say that it's the 18-135WR (2) to avoid confusions), when I connect it to the body, happen the same problem.

The camera have the last firmware (v1.11).

So I don't have a clue of what problem could be.

I'm sorry for my english if it can't be understand.

Thanks,
Regi.

05-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's very weird. Try cleaning the contacts on the lens mount and resetting your camera's settings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To my mind it sounds like a short perhaps in the data pin or ground. Clean lens and mount contacts and inspect them to be sure they look like your other mounts and nothing is odd.
05-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the very quick response.

I did all what you said before and the problem remains. But is very weird that two equal lenses (18-135WR), have the same problem, but both works fine on other bodys.

I forgot to say that this problem happened two times before (december 2015 and february 2016), but it got fix alone. Now it's in the describe situation like two months ago.

Tomorrow I will get to the local repair if he can say what is happening.

05-26-2016, 05:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I missed the fact that a second 18-135 was giving you problems. That sounds like a camera issue. I still think maybe something isn't grounding right or some similar issue exists. Good luck! Intermittent failures are hard be glad this has become consistent.
05-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lenses which work OK, do they have DC motor? Or they all auto focused by camera?
05-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
The both have a DC motor

05-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only explanation I can think of is that the camera does either not recognize the lenses correctly, or for some other reason maps it with data not fitting to that lens type.

Lens faults would not likely be exactly the same with two copies.
So this leaves something wrong with the camera firmware. A flipped bit somewhere in the database could explain the behaviour, but not easily how this could have healed itself in the past.
Except if you did a firmware update in between.
05-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Regi Quote
The both have a DC motor
Let me ask again: "other lenses with AF and 1 manually lens", they work OK. Manual lense of course does not have a motor, but what about other AF lenses?
05-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Put another way, besides the two 18-135's, did any of the autofocus lenses you used that worked have either SDM or DC motors or did they all have screw drive?
05-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
The only explanation I can think of is that the camera does either not recognize the lenses correctly, or for some other reason maps it with data not fitting to that lens type.

So this leaves something wrong with the camera firmware. A flipped bit somewhere in the database could explain the behaviour, but not easily how this could have healed itself in the past.
The problema happened with the fabric firmware (v1.0) and with the

---------- Post added 05-26-16 at 08:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote

This happened with the default fabric firmware (v1.00) and with the last firmware (v1.11). And like you said, it healed itself and ruined itself.

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Let me ask again: "other lenses with AF and 1 manually lens", they work OK. Manual lense of course does not have a motor, but what about other AF lenses?
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Put another way, besides the two 18-135's, did any of the autofocus lenses you used that worked have either SDM or DC motors or did they all have screw drive?
I tried with a 55-200mm, 35mm and a 18-55mm all of it have screwdrive and works fine.

I'm very sure that is a software problem, I would like to format the camera but I don't know if is that possible.
05-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Regi Quote
I tried with a 55-200mm, 35mm and a 18-55mm all of it have screwdrive and works fine.

I'm very sure that is a software problem, I would like to format the camera but I don't know if is that possible.
Another couple of possibilities come to mind. The SDM power transfer contacts could be bent/damaged on the body causing weird intermittent results. The SDM activating could draw power and cause some flawed capacitor or other item in the SDM power chain to misbehave etc.

Try inspecting the SDM contacts in the camera first - those are not on the mount they are the two that are inside the mount ring.
05-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another couple of possibilities come to mind. The SDM power transfer contacts could be bent/damaged on the body causing weird intermittent results. The SDM activating could draw power and cause some flawed capacitor or other item in the SDM power chain to misbehave etc.

Try inspecting the SDM contacts in the camera first - those are not on the mount they are the two that are inside the mount ring.
If motor activating could draw power maybe it make a sense to try different and fresh battery?
05-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #14

Original Poster

I have never seen another transfer contacts, so I left a photo for you can tell me if there is something wrong (at the end of the post).

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
If motor activating could draw power maybe it make a sense to try different and fresh battery?
I had try this in the past, but I will do another test. Plus I will left the camera at least 48 hours without battery.

In other hand, I measured the voltaje of the power contact and found that the left contact (positive) and the right contac (negative) have a voltaje of 0.3 mV (micro volt) when the camera is on the still picture mode, but when is on the movie mode that voltaje increases to 0.8 mV.

Why I put this values?, because I think that If someone could read this values on a K-s2 (that works fine) I could have a clue to say if:

It's a problem of the body.

It's a problem with lack of physical contact between the body and the lens.

(image of the transfer contacts)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/312007d1464561984-very-strange-problem-pentax-k-s2-18-135wr-img_20160529_161654585-copia.jpg

Regards,
Regi.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1032  Photo 
07-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #15

Hi, Regi. I just bought a K-S2 to upgrade my K-x. When I put my 18-135 WR Pentax zoom (which I used for years on the K-x problem-free) on the K S2, guess what? Menu says MF and switches constantly between spot focus and multi-point focus and your can't do anything with the camera. Sound familiar? Maybe Pentax should look into this as a non-isolated problem. My 5 other Pentax auto-focus lenses all work correctly! Btw, this failure occurs whether the body is in MF or AF mode.