Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 04:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi again guys, sorry I was on a trip when first created the topic.

The camera went to the official Pentax service workshop, so we will see what went wrong and how much would cost to repair it.

06-14-2016, 03:51 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hello everyone.

Just got the reply about how much would cost to repair my camera, and it's 190€ (around 220$ ?) so I am consdering what to do next.
I know this is MY camera, I know it well. I know how has it been used. Also I know that it has almost 50.000 shots done, wich might be the half of her life, I also know that some moths ago the attaching lens button falled off and needed a replacement.

With that in mind I am considering what to do as I bought this body at Japan 2 years ago (not even!) with 9000 pictures done for a bargain price of 250€, payed 85€ more for the button to be replaced and nowadays I am been asked to pay 190€ extra for this reparation, and I have seen that there are quite a few bodies with less pictures done that mine for around 250-350€ on ebay, the forum, and other places.

I like the K5, I got used to it, to its body, on how does it perform and works. I also like that I have the grip for it. Maybe a K5-II or so would be better? From the K3 I like that it has double SD card but, its a bit expensive for me and I would need to buy the grip for it also and get to know it again.

So guys, what's your opinion in that? Should I try to repair it myself maybe and if it does not work then buy another body?

Unfortunatelly the repairing center does not explains wich works would they do to make the camera work again.
06-14-2016, 04:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe get a second hand K-3 in the marketplace. I think some people are trading up for K-1 so you should get a good deal.
06-14-2016, 05:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
Maybe get a second hand K-3 in the marketplace. I think some people are trading up for K-1 so you should get a good deal.
Thanks gbeaton, will check them but I am also thinking on getting a K5-II as I really like how easy is to use the "classic" K5.

06-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

red5isalive, That is a tough call. Your K-5 seems to have had some type of impact stress damage on the lens mount. You might find a K-5/5ii for the cost of the repair that have less than half the actuations your damaged camera has.

Personally I would try to budget for the K-3 or K-3ii. These cameras are a nice upgrade to the K-5. The number one reason is the viewfinder in the K-3/3ii are bigger. The dual slots etc.
06-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
Thanks gbeaton, will check them but I am also thinking on getting a K5-II as I really like how easy is to use the "classic" K5.
I had the K-5 and moved up to the K-5 IIs. The difference is striking and, like you I found the K-5 an ultra-usable camera but the II(s) focuses faster and doesn't suffer from AF issues under incandescent lighting. The IIs adds IMHO what was left out of the K-5 legacy model. I never needed the 24Mp, dual cardslots etc. of the K-3 although I greatly admire that cam as well. I have yet to see one single example of a K-3 outclassing the K-5 IIs on anything besides mere megapixels. The K-3 II is a different story with its pixel-shift technology - that is pure awesomeness in a photographic box.

Seeing I absolutely do not want to go FF for any reaon (except insanity ) I reckoned I can run my K-5 IIs into the ground - it has at least a year or two more life in it, possibly even more - before I am forced to upgrade. In the meantime I'm investing the money saved into some great panogear, better glass etc.
06-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I had the K-5 and moved up to the K-5 IIs. The difference is striking and, like you I found the K-5 an ultra-usable camera but the II(s) focuses faster and doesn't suffer from AF issues under incandescent lighting. The IIs adds IMHO what was left out of the K-5 legacy model. I never needed the 24Mp, dual cardslots etc. of the K-3 although I greatly admire that cam as well. I have yet to see one single example of a K-3 outclassing the K-5 IIs on anything besides mere megapixels. The K-3 II is a different story with its pixel-shift technology - that is pure awesomeness in a photographic box.

Seeing I absolutely do not want to go FF for any reaon (except insanity ) I reckoned I can run my K-5 IIs into the ground - it has at least a year or two more life in it, possibly even more - before I am forced to upgrade. In the meantime I'm investing the money saved into some great panogear, better glass etc.
Thank you newmikey, this is awesome. I have seen some reviews of the K3 randomly and I think it's a beast (specially for sports) but also the K5 IIs could be able to do the job I believe.
It's just not easy to find one over here in Spain, even tho when one, it costs like 100€ less than the K3 or so, wich annoys me.

06-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well, at least your old battery will work in any of the K5's or K3's.
06-21-2016, 11:22 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So it's all solved!

I never went to work on the camera to the official service, but instead went to a small technician that has been working with cameras for the last 50 years and so he solved that by putting the bayonet in its place and putting back the lens change button, that costed me 60€ only. After all, compared to the 190€ that I was supposed to pay to the spanish Pentax official service, i think it's a bargain and a great way to end that story.