Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF, @n0sn3b17

You've had great advice here already. I will just emphasise a couple of points others have made.

The classic newby mistake in buying a new DSLR (or other interchangeable-lens camera), is concentrating too much on the camera body alone. Although it's now an entry-level camera, the K-50 has more features than most users will ever use. (That doesn't mean it's complicated to use; it's not.) Lenses matter as much or more. The Pentax kit lenses seem to be as good as any kit lenses, but it's well worth taking a step up to something like the DA 18-135 (or Sigma 17-70 C or, if the budget runs that far, the DA 16-85). The image quality will be generally better, and the range is versatile and handy. As @mee says, pair the 18-135 with the HD DA 55-300 WR and you've got a kit that is weather resistant, lightweight, extremely versatile and can produce very good images. People often find better deals buying these lenses in a package with the camera, rather than buying them separately.

And leave some room in your budget for accessories like a flash, tripod, shutter release, filters, spare SD cards, spare battery and bag.

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
a crippled k-50 (aperture block failure... still perfectly usable with manual aperture ring lenses)
Just to explain what this means. A number of people have experienced this fault with the K-50 (and its near-twin, the K-30). If it happens the camera can't set the aperture in the lens. It can strike at any time. It's generally uneconomic to repair. Hard to know how prevalent this fault is, but it's a good reason to buy new for the warranty coverage.

Last edited by Des; 05-30-2016 at 05:30 PM.
05-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Welcome to PF, @n0sn3b17

You've had great advice here already. I will just emphasise a couple of points others have made.

The classic newby mistake in buying a new DSLR (or other interchangeable-lens camera), is concentrating too much on the camera body alone. Although it's now an entry-level camera, the K-50 has more features than most users will ever use. (That doesn't mean it's complicated to use; it's not.) Lenses matter as much or more. The Pentax kit lenses seem to be as good as any kit lenses, but it's well worth taking a step up to the DA 18-135. The image quality will be generally better, and the range is versatile and handy. As @mee says, pair it with the HD DA 55-300 WR and you've got a kit that is weather resistant, lightweight, extremely versatile and can produce very good images. People often find better deals buying these lenses in a package with the camera, rather than buying them separately.

And leave some room in your budget for accessories like a flash, tripod, shutter release, filters, spare SD cards, spare battery and bag.

Just to explain what this means. A number of people have experienced this fault with the K-50 (and its near-twin, the K-30). If it happens the camera can't set the aperture in the lens. It can strike at any time. It's generally uneconomic to repair. Hard to know how prevalent this fault is, but it's a good reason to buy new for the warranty coverage.
Quite true, but then again as long as you have some lenses with aperture rings, the camera is still usable. Definitely do buy one new, and try to get an extended warranty via pentax or one of the other options like squaretrade, or a credit card purchase warranty coverage. And if weather resistance isn't too important to you, you can always buy legacy glass on the cheap and get some great results. One of my personal favorite lenses is the SMC Pentax FA 28-105mm f/4-5.6 (IF) *note: (IF) designates Internal Focus. I love using that lens when I'm in my kayak and can get close to some wildlife a decent midrange zoom with reasonable autofocus ability.
05-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Quite true, but then again as long as you have some lenses with aperture rings, the camera is still usable. Definitely do buy one new, and try to get an extended warranty via pentax or one of the other options like squaretrade, or a credit card purchase warranty coverage. And if weather resistance isn't too important to you, you can always buy legacy glass on the cheap and get some great results. One of my personal favorite lenses is the SMC Pentax FA 28-105mm f/4-5.6 (IF) *note: (IF) designates Internal Focus. I love using that lens when I'm in my kayak and can get close to some wildlife a decent midrange zoom with reasonable autofocus ability.
that is not true soon after the mirror motor takes a dump but to put this in perspective they are throw away camera that you can buy for 300 dollars so really you can go wrong
05-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #19
Pentaxian

K50+18-55 and 55-300mm,both WR is a great way to start.If you can find this kit, grab it.Extended warranty is a bonus, then research these forums on what the F,FA and more recent lenses do, then pick and choose which prices suit and you cant go wrong.

05-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
that is not true soon after the mirror motor takes a dump but to put this in perspective they are throw away camera that you can buy for 300 dollars so really you can go wrong
Mirror motor does not equal aperture lever actuator.
05-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Mirror motor does not equal aperture lever actuator.
you are right but the actuator defect causes the motor to burn out trust me I found out first hand. In any event the are a cheap item , hence forth we cannot complain when they take a dump . Especially at 300 dollars, you just buy a new one or wait 8 weeks from precision and get it repaired for 206 dollars plus shipping. M e personally I would rather get brand new from BH PHOTO with a warranted for and additional yr

Last edited by niceshot; 05-30-2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: mis spell
05-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
Consider a K-5 instead. They're five years old, inexpensive, and durable. The 14 bit color depth is the biggest difference.
This is what I did, sold my K50 and just love the K5. A used one can be got pretty cheap.
The K5 also has a top LCD screen which shows info you need without having to rely on the rear LCD or trying to read info in the view finder. But it is also quite heavy.
I like the picture quality better from my K5.
Now I sold my K50 to a friend who had not owned a DSLR, and he just loves it, so easy to use.
05-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
This is what I did, sold my K50 and just love the K5. A used one can be got pretty cheap.
The K5 also has a top LCD screen which shows info you need without having to rely on the rear LCD or trying to read info in the view finder. But it is also quite heavy.
I like the picture quality better from my K5.
Now I sold my K50 to a friend who had not owned a DSLR, and he just loves it, so easy to use.
Comparison of specs (K-50 v K-5 v K-5ii v K5iis) here:
Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-5 II vs. Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Same sensor. The K-5iis doesn't have an AA-filter, the others do. The various K-5 models have more robust construction, larger capacity battery, can take a grip, 14-bit RAW images, -3EV focusing (a big plus), top LED screen, ISO 80 and quite a few small but useful features (e.g. dust alert, dedicated rear AF button). K-50 is a little lighter weight, has focus peaking (handy feature), can be used with 4 x AA batteries (with a cheap optional adapter). No reports of aperture block failure on the K-5 models, AFAIK.