Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
That's bad luck. I have shot with the K3 & da 300 in torrential rain, you can see that clearly from the shots, and again in dust followed by rain in Lower Antelope that left the camera(s)....my wife had the k5.....coated in orange mud. Both cameras still going strong. Makes me wonder if your issue is faulty seals if you are sure all doors were firmly closed.
The rice thing worked with a drowned iPhone, took a few months, but phone is till going today, probably the only i3 still in operation.
I would be returning the camera under warranty claiming the seals are faulty, within the warranty period.
Good luck
Yeah all the reading I have done makes it so much more disappointing to have my camera fail in such light weather. Ive been thinking maybe because I open the sd card slot after every shoot its worn out, but I doubt I have opened it as much as many of the people here. Right now its sitting in rice though I think any damage was probably already done, and counting down hours untill the call center opens.

05-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
I think any damage was probably already done
There have been quite a number of stories posted here of 'dead' cameras being brought back to life and working just fine. So I would not give up yet. Let the rice do it's thing.
05-31-2016, 06:44 PM   #18
Site Supporter

This is a shot from the wet day. I always carry a cloth and am wiping excess water from the camera where it may pool ( that becomes saturated too), but still, this was pretty extreme.

Attachment 312328
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #19

Original Poster
Update, shipped back to me with no call or contact. Marked as not repaired "Unit is BER due to corrosion damage" not covered. This may end my life long relationship with pentax if they dont make it right when I call them.

06-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #20
Site Supporter

That's really disappointing. Understand your angst....good luck with your next decision.
06-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It must have been a fair amount of water for corrosion to have resulted. We've all got to remember these things aren't waterproof, and Canikon certainly don't offer warranty on water damage. A pro buys insurance.

06-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Update, shipped back to me with no call or contact. Marked as not repaired "Unit is BER due to corrosion damage" not covered. This may end my life long relationship with pentax if they dont make it right when I call them.
Disappointing. I have regularly shot with my K-5 in the rain, usually at kids football matches. Never had a problem.
06-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's unfortunate. I've taken my K-x and K-30 into some pretty heavy rain without issue, much less corrosion. I hope they can work something out with you. I suggest you contact Ricoh directly, rather than Precision, for best results.

06-28-2016, 11:13 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It must have been a fair amount of water for corrosion to have resulted. We've all got to remember these things aren't waterproof, and Canikon certainly don't offer warranty on water damage. A pro buys insurance.
It got wet and failed within 3 hours, it was dry with in a day or two. Id bet anything theres zero corrosion they show no signs of having touched a screw and nothing I can inspect shows any sign of damage either water spots or corrosion. Should pc have contacted me before sending it back, billing me a total of 15 in shipping?
06-29-2016, 04:55 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It got wet and failed within 3 hours, it was dry with in a day or two. Id bet anything theres zero corrosion they show no signs of having touched a screw and nothing I can inspect shows any sign of damage either water spots or corrosion. Should pc have contacted me before sending it back, billing me a total of 15 in shipping?
You had enough water ingress - by your own admission, Greenneck - that the battery and memory card inside the case were wet. You don't know what the rest of the components were like. Powering it on while wet may have even worsened things.

There may be an electronic or physical detector inside the camera that tells a technician if it's a water job, like the iPhone.

You have my sympathy - I really drowned a K-S1 - but we don't qualify for warranty.

I hadn't insured it. I've insured the K-1 I've bought since, as part of my House and Contents policy.
07-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #26

Original Poster
Well I contacted Pentax, spoke with a ren for several minutes told him I refused to accept the warrenty judgment on my camera. He escalated it to corporate and emailed me pictures of the corrosion damage to the camera.
They called again today saying they stand behind precision camera and that if I really wanted to I could pay to send it back in and be told the same thing. I can't believe a company that advertises their products as better than Nikon or canon because you can stay out in a storm won't cover a camera killed by a light rain where even my iPhone survived. I've spent a lot of money on weather sealed glass and now I've had two cameras die with in a year with out any neglect or abuse...
I asked to speak to corporate because that's who he said makes the decision and all he can do is tell me what they said. I had to ask several times with him saying they don't do that and it's his job to talk to me but I want to talk to who ever can actually do something because this isn't right. I'll update if I ever hear back from them again.

Words do not express how disappointed I am with a company that I've used my entire life and invested so much money into.
07-08-2016, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You had enough water ingress - by your own admission, Greenneck
I can't believe a company that advertises their products as better than Nikon or canon because you can stay out in a storm won't cover a camera killed by a light rain where even my iPhone survived.
I want to be on record as being very sympathetic to Greenneck's problem. That being said, I looked at the photos posted from his hike. In a few of the lakeside shots, it is raining quite hard...not a downpour, but not mist either.

Whether it is reasonable to expect seal failure under those conditions is debatable. Is Ricoh/Pentax advertising showing obviously wet cameras deceptive? Are online video reviews showing partial submersion rigged? It is hard to say on both counts. What is fairly certain is that an unsealed kit subjected to either condition would fail within seconds.

What about the warranty interpretation that equates failure of the environmental seal feature with abuse? That is where things get sticky. Is Ricoh/Pentax unique in not covering water damage to their sealed bodies? No...warranty exclusion for water intrusion is universal across brands regardless of whether the body has seals. Are the camera's seals built to any sort of industry standards? It depends. Those advertised as "waterproof" are. Those advertised as resistant are not. Will the warranty exclusion stand in court? I dunno...I suspect it depends on applicable consumer law and whether it can be shown that the seals routinely fail after reasonable exposure to the wet.

Should Ricoh/Pentax be routinely replacing water-compromised cameras where the exposure was incidental and not severe? That is a hard question. Is there a reasonable way for them to differentiate 1/2 hour in mist from 30 seconds immersion at two feet depth or a blast from a fire hydrant? Is there a way for them to spot a defective seal after the fact? After all, the possibility of defective seals is at the heart of the matter.

Steve
07-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What about the warranty interpretation that equates failure of the environmental seal feature with abuse? That is where things get sticky.
If you were in the EU, consumer law states that a product should perform as a 'reasonable person' would expect. Regardless of what the company tries to enforce via its warranty terms, if a judge rules that a reasonable person would expect a weather resistant camera to keep the rain out (as I would, myself) then they would uphold a claim for a refund. You would need to pay the court fee to hear the case, but this would be refunded by the loser.

The biggest issue here is proving that the water was really caused by rain and not by submersion, and there is no real way to prove that...
07-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #29

I wonder if this is highlighting a flaw in Pentax weather resistance.

The internal volume of the 18-135mm lens probably doubles when zooming from 18mm to 135mm the air to fill this space has to come from somewhere.

If the camera was fully sealed you could not zoom out due the vacuum or zooming to wide angle would create so much pressure the seals would blow out. So the camera must 'breathe' through somewhere.

If the camera breathes around the top of the camera, excess water may get sucked in and then gravity takes over drawing the water down through the camera.

Maybe a proper vent with a moisture trap is required in the bottom of the camera to limit how far water gets drawn in and then gravity will help save the camera rather than kill it.

Just a thought.
07-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I too am sometimes disappointed in products, and equally often services, and have been known to ask for compensation (maybe sometimes unreasonably, though I won't admit it), but I don't think it's appropriate in this case. I think most people regard the weather-resistance as being maybe more weather-resistant than non-wr, but not dramatically so. I've had both wr and non-wr pentax dslrs out in moderately heavy rain, but always cover them to the extent I can, even if with nothing other than a cloth to keep actual drops away. I did get water under the top lcd of a k100 once, but it dried out and kept working. As a practical matter I don't know how anybody could look at a camera and tell exactly how a seal failed to allow water in unless the seal with visibly damaged. They could perhaps tell that water had gotten in, but telling how well the seal had held up and what conditions it had been exposed to would be difficult. So I think the policy has to be to exclude water damage.